Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Neanderthal genetic code lives on in humans

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.

In an effort to learn more about the genetic similarities between Neanderthals and modern humans, Benjamin Vernot and Joshua Akey at the University of Washington sequenced the genomes of 600 people and then used a computer to identify gene variants that seemed to be Neanderthal in origin.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...es-on-in-humans

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 13,244 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!!

Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2rsZJaQnp

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Certainly not a new theory but some interesting new facts. No DNA markers were found on the X chromosome so all N traits were passed on by females suggesting hybrid male infertility.

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

Researchers have discovered that we possess up to one fifth of our prehistoric cousins' genetic code.

But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors?

#5    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 30 January 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

But, if we possess up to 1/5 of their genetic code passed down from them to us, why are they our cousins, not our ancestors?

You answered your own *SNIP*question..."1/5". *SNIP*

Edited by Lilly, 10 February 2014 - 12:19 PM.
no need to be rude

#6    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,334 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

Very cool I always feel like aim a Neanderthal

#7    avs76

avs76

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

• I think therefore you are.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

I read an article recently about a Rugby League player (Dave Taylor) here in Australia who has torn a calf muscle. What's interesting is apparently the "injured muscle only exists in the smallest percentage of the world's population. It is apparently a genetic throwback to our ancestry - a muscle used for climbing trees - and is super rare."

http://www.courierma...r-1226810843014

Edited by avs76, 31 January 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

Someone with the name of gOOdfella should know better than to be rude to an old lady who simply asked an honest question. That just isn't necessary.

#9    PhoenixBird88

PhoenixBird88

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• "For every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action."

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian.

#10    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 24,943 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 30 January 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Because Science refused the idea of more than one modern human ancestor race. (It’s the influence of religion actually, god created the man, not to digress too far, so religious scientists stuck to that intentionally and non-religious ones out of set of reasons, ranging from conformism to stupidity.)
DNA changed that dogma, but the terminology, apparently, still hasn’t changed.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#11    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 24,943 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostPhoenixBird88, on 01 February 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

My uncle was recently in a Nat Geo experiment and had his genome sequenced. I am 2% Neanderthal on my mothers side. Id like to get mine sequenced as well, my Dads lineage is quite a mystery. I grew up being told my Mom was German and Irish, Dad- Mexican and Spanish. Yet, come to find out from the results of the study my moms side is primarily(43%) Asian.
It may sound as stupid question, but what they meant with Asian?
Asian-Asian, or Slavic?
(I’m asking because it’s no wonder to bring Slavic genes from Europe, and there’s bizarre old belief about Asian origin of Slavs, while truly Asian genes couldn’t go unnoticed in Ireland or Germany.)

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

View Postg00dfella, on 30 January 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

Also you are abusing the use of the "comma".
Posted Image

#13    TheSpoonyOne

TheSpoonyOne

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

View PostPhoenixBird88, on 01 February 2014 - 04:56 AM, said:

That seems very strange, 43% Asian, as in East Asian I'm assuming, and you couldn't see this in her phenotype?

#14    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:18 AM

I don't know why that so surprising we carry codes from all the way back to the earliest known primates from which we've defended. We don't just drop those codes.

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,289 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postseeder, on 30 January 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

I was reading a similar article that blames 'certain' disease states on our Neanderthal genes!!

Are you a hairy diabetic who smokes and suffers from stomach cramps? Your NEANDERTHAL ancestry is to blame

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2rsZJaQnp
Smoking is caused by Neanderthals?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users