Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Girl, 16, survives fall of over 3,000ft

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Makenzie Wethington had been on a skydiving trip as a treat for her birthday when disaster struck.

The 16-year-old had jumped from the plane over Oklahoma when her parachute became tangled and failed to open properly. Instructors had attempted to offer her assistance over a headset, however she appeared to black out and subsequently plummeted more than 3,000ft to the ground.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-of-over-3000ft

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Rye17

Rye17

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 238 posts

• God made me agnostic... who am I to question his wisdom

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

"He subsequently blamed the skydiving company for allowing his daughter to jump."

Wait what? Her father bought her the trip... how is he gonna blame the company that requires PARENTAL CONSENT? !

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,643 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

She must be bouncy.

My martial arts instructor survived a fall like this from 1500 ft.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Terrifying. Glad she lived.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostRye17, on 31 January 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

"He subsequently blamed the skydiving company for allowing his daughter to jump."

Wait what? Her father bought her the trip... how is he gonna blame the company that requires PARENTAL CONSENT? !
I can not see how he can blame them for allowing her to jump, but he sure can blame them for giving her a dodgy parachute.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,931 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:39 PM

Well, I guess she's one of the very few who get the "I jumped out of a plane without a working parachute and lived" award.

#7    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,643 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

Can you imagine the nightmares she's going to have to live with?

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#8    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

F- that.  

That's gotta be a PTSD nightmare.

#9    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

'God caught her': Teenage girl survives 3,500ft fall after birthday skydiving trip almost turned to tragedy when her parachute failed to open.

On the contrary, God messed up her parachute and Mother Earth caught her. Alternate possibility, one god screwed with her gear and another god caught her. We of course know that there exists many gods among all the religions. So which god was the culprit is a case for the religious authorities to solve.

Edited by Ashyne, 31 January 2014 - 10:18 PM.

~He who makes a beast of himself removes himself from the pain of being human~

#10    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

god doesn't skydive. god wasn't there,

#11    Fedex

Fedex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

Haha God? Are you effing kidding me? She got lucky... Enough said. God... Ha

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostAshyne, on 31 January 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

On the contrary, God messed up her parachute and Mother Earth caught her. Alternate possibility, one god screwed with her gear and another god caught her. We of course know that there exists many gods among all the religions. So which god was the culprit is a case for the religious authorities to solve.
This has nothing to do with gods or mother nature.
It was human error (like most things in these kind of situations)
NOTHING to do with religion!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    cgowens

cgowens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm a skydiver and these reports are misleading. The girl had a malfunction on her main. She had a spinning malfunction into the ground. She had a canopy open, but she had a malfunction. Let me say this, NO ONE has ever survived a terminal velocity fall from a skydive without some sort of canopy open above their heads. This was a USPA dropzone and it was a static line jump. She jumped out of the plane and a line automatically deploys her main parachute. for some reason, she did not or could not begin her emergency procedures to cutaway her main and deploy her reserve. She stayed in the spinning malfunction until she impacted the ground.

#14    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,750 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 31 January 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

It was human error (like most things in these kind of situations)

I agree, but the article suggests also that it was correctable human error.

It states with the limited training she had, and the wireless connection to the instructor, she should have been able to correct the issue - but she didn't. It's reported she may have lost consciousness - or perhaps she panicked/froze?

Regardless I don't see they'd have any case against the skydiving company. She is a very lucky young lady.

Edited by Leonardo, 01 February 2014 - 01:48 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#15    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 5,293 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

View Postcgowens, on 31 January 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

I'm a skydiver and these reports are misleading. The girl had a malfunction on her main. She had a spinning malfunction into the ground. She had a canopy open, but she had a malfunction. Let me say this, NO ONE has ever survived a terminal velocity fall from a skydive without some sort of canopy open above their heads. This was a USPA dropzone and it was a static line jump. She jumped out of the plane and a line automatically deploys her main parachute. for some reason, she did not or could not begin her emergency procedures to cutaway her main and deploy her reserve. She stayed in the spinning malfunction until she impacted the ground.

No one does do true static line anymore, do they?

My brother instructs. He has about 2,500 jumps and he 's tossed out at least twice as many (me included 20 years ago).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users