Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Supernova

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,619 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus. It was very bright, probably the brightest i have seen for any planet. so I thought it might have been a supernova. It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

Cool

http://science.time....xplodes-nearby/

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,188 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 31 January 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus.
That is almost certainty what you saw, as Venus is a bright morning object at the moment. At it's brightest, on a Moonless nigh ahd in a dark area well away from town lights Venus is bright enough to cast shadows. Sadly, as a city dweller, I have never seen this myself.

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus.
It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

[shameless plug for the UM Astronomy section mode] I think you should read this section more often. Then you would have discovered that this supernova had occurred nine days ago here: Bright Supernova in M82
Or discover that NASA were studying the supernova with several of their spacecraft six days ago here: NASA Spacecraft Take Aim At Nearby Supernova [/shameless plug for the UM Astronomy section mode]

It's typical that this supernova should occur just when two things happen:

• I get a new par of binoculars that would make observing my first ever supernova possible
  • The UK experiences it's rainiest January in recorded history.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,619 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

I'm surprised I didn't get space weather alert. Rrrrrrrrrr.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#4    WhispersInTheAttic

WhispersInTheAttic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• "It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:25 AM

This morning I got up and spotted what was probably Venus. It was very bright, probably the brightest i have seen for any planet. so I thought it might have been a supernova. It wasn't, but discovered a rate supernova actually was in progress...,

Cool

http://science.time....xplodes-nearby/

Oh wow. Is there any other photo's of the Supernova in the act?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users