Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Castaway Washes Up After '16 Months Adrift'

Still Waters

A castaway has washed up in the remote Marshall Islands claiming he drifted at sea for more than a year - travelling 8,000 miles from where he set sail.

The Mexican man, who identified himself as Jose Ivan, is said to be recovering on Ebon Atoll after the ordeal, surviving by eating turtles, birds and fish and drinking turtle blood when there was no rain.

http://uk.news.yahoo...98.html#OB4b1rw

• Like 2

The will to live is very powerful!

Something about this strikes me as unlikely.

Well, I guess it IS unlikely but that's not what I mean.

This is one of those "Holy ****" moments. Incredible story of survival.

"He had long hair and a beard and was wearing only ragged underpants."

I so wish his name had been Jesus. He could've claimed he walked some of the way.

• Like 4

Yeah, it's not "impossible", but very improbable.

• Like 1

Leaning more toward very improbable just based on the photos. He looks too healthy.

• Like 1

Had he been adrift in the ocean all that time he would have sunburn, be very emaciated, and would have sores all over his body from the sea water, wouldn't he? Something is very unlikely about his story indeed.

• Like 2

Wow, he must have eaten A LOT of turtles and fish to look that way.

I wonder if he was drifting that long out in the sea with a Bengal Tiger? Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

The OP article said

"Locals discovered Mr Ivan when his 24-foot fibreglass boat with propellerless engines floated onto a reef"

Now Ive owned a boat, just a 20 footer, and most boats of a similar size will have a cabin. Mine had 2 bunks, sink with tap, and a small cooker!! And it was smaller than his, so Id expect his had a cabin too.

Fair enough if he was out all that time in a small open boat then I can understand their should be sunburn and seawater boils on his skin... so to be sure we need to see the boat!!

But either way its a bit of a fishy story :lol:

• Like 2

It's all bs. He looks to healthy he should be really skinny an drained.no way its real.

• Like 1

seeder, thanks for your post about the boat. Definitely something to consider.

UPDATE!

Well it seems he is not doubted any longer, his mother and friends have been telling thewir stoiries

‘I saw him alive in my dreams’: Stunned mother of Pacific castaway who claimed to have spent 14 months adrift at sea wants him home as his daughter, 14, says first thing she will do is hug and kiss him

* Mother prayed for her son every night but mourned his passing

* Siblings in Maryland screamed with joy when they watched footage

* José Salvador Alvarenga wept on phone to his siblings and daughter

* US are not doubting his story that he was stranded at sea for 14 months

* Fishermen and officials have backed his claims with documents, referring to him as 'La Chancha' - or 'The Pig'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551530/Stunned-mother-Pacific-castaway-claimed-spent-14-months-adrift-sea-wants-home-daughter-14-says-thing-hug-kiss-him.html#ixzz2sNNvGrn3

He will become a minor celebrity now on various chat shows, no doubt there will be publishers offering money for his story too, so all ends well..

He will become a minor celebrity now on various chat shows, no doubt there will be publishers offering money for his story too, so all ends well..

kind of like the movie Life of Pi but not nearly so exotic

Heres a real life sea survivor guy that Ray Mears covered, very interesting vid, 10 mins each so do watch!! You'll get a feel for it!

Steve Callahan, survival at sea

You know, this fisherman could've started out 100 pounds heavier than he ended up, especially if he had earned the moniker, "The Pig."

At any rate, I'm glad he's going back home.

• Like 1

The article also mentioned that he may look so "round" due to severe edema, which makes sense, he does look "puffy" .. But I'd really like to know how he didn't succumb to scurvy. You can't live on protein alone. Then again, it sure sounds like he did originate in Mexico... and did wind up in the S. Pacific... His story is probably pretty true even if you take the family's corroboration out of it. It doesn't sound like he'd ever been out of Mexico, and that atoll was a LONG way away.