Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The role of Church in an atheist Society

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1    Nik Xues

Nik Xues

The Still Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

So the premise is this;

How much would the concept of church change if we all became atheists?

True Scientists consider all possibilities until they have evidence stating otherwise.
the others are idiots simply waiting for proof of existence.

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,542 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

I'm reminded of the fact that Roman Emperor's employed a slave to say the things they didn't want to hear (and thus none of their advisers would tell them), the origin of the phrase memento mori "remember, you are mortal" comes from this concept.
In any unified society you still need someone to say the thing no one else is willing to and/or to think differently to the consensus. In such a society as you suggest, that could be the church's role,

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,691 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

View PostNik Xues, on 02 February 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

So the premise is this;

Or, what would optometrists do if we all went blind?

You should flesh the premise out a little more than that.

What do you think would happen?

#4    Stubbly_Dooright

Stubbly_Dooright

♫♪♀♀♀♫♪

• 2,238 posts

• Take off your clothes
    Take off everything you are
    Take off your heart
    Get funky on the dance floor
    (FiveForFight-PoliceMan'sXmasParty)

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:41 AM

So the premise is this;

I think it would change a lot. If that is, if we all do become atheists. If we do, I think certain traditional aspects would be around for some groups. The gathering of groups for unity and togetherness, for one. Seeing churches around and being built later, maybe not. The thing is, I really don't think there would be a true atheist society. There was the USSR and state Atheism, if I remember correctly, but you still had your groups of hidden religions. Right. I think the concept of Church would change, but not disappear.

Posted Image  Greetings and Salutations!!!
If you wont talk to your cat about catnip......who will?
Introverts unite! But only on the internet.

#5    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,398 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:23 AM

I imagine historic old Churches would be preserved, and visitors would see them like one does when visiting the Pyramids for an example.

There will always be places of meeting for social groups, just minus the dogma.

For instance people willingly give their time to Animal Shelters, and that fills the gap otherwise spent at a Church.

Posted Image
Three lectures...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#6    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:53 AM

History. Same reason we keep places like Alcatraz and Auschwitz standing.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#7    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,477 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

I cannot envisage any society being truly atheist.

So I cannot envisage the question asked about the role of the Church in such a society, as ever needing to be answered.

Edited by Leonardo, 04 February 2014 - 01:54 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#8    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,398 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 04 February 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

So I cannot envisage the question asked about the role of the Church in such a society, as ever needing to be answered.

Do you picture Man made Space craft with "Jesus Fish" magnets on them in the future?

Posted Image
Three lectures...View and share.
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MclBbZUFSag <-- "Gospels=Myth Making"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"

#9    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 04 February 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Do you picture Man made Space craft with "Jesus Fish" magnets on them in the future?

I do. Sadly I think there are people whose first thought after discovering alien intelligence would be "have they heard the Gospel?"

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#10    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Atheists would still go to church for the social events and business connections. They would be like clubs.

The sermons would be more like Amway pitches. They would emphasize the good things the church is doing and would drop the supernatural stuff.

Some liberal churches are well on their way to this. They reject the ugly stuff in the Bible and have selected to believe only the stuff in it that fits in secular society.

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,002 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

So the premise is this;

uh what?

#12    J. K.

J. K.

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 04 February 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

I do. Sadly I think there are people whose first thought after discovering alien intelligence would be "have they heard the Gospel?"

Actually, the discovery of aliens would pose some questions for theologians concerning sin and the need for sacrifice.

One's reality is another's nightmare.

#13    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 04 February 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

And then.....
Posted Image

Seriously, people keep the rituals they have because it gives them comfort. Some of those rituals also take out the stress of dealing with life. If you are told something is bad, then you don't have to worry about deciding for yourself that it is. In any society, not only does this save a lot of energy but it also ensures that the people in the group think the same, feel the same, and act the same. This is a necessity for being able to meet and conquer any new challenges as a group. Our modern military works the same way.

Make no doubt about it, any atheistic society is going to be the same. People will form into groups and make up their own rules.  If it isn't God they believe in, it will be the spirits that inhabit the trees and water, or something else. Whatever belief people will have, it will fit the times and conditions they live in. Christianity would never have started if the first people to believe it had not been oppressed. Communism wouldn't be with us today if the peasants had been well fed. If water is the next thing to divide the haves and the have nots, then we wil make our worship about the water god who wants us all to share equally.

And it's only a short step from there to making it mandatory for the rest of the world to believe the same.

Just a thought.

Edited by rodentraiser, 04 February 2014 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#14    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostLeonardo, on 04 February 2014 - 01:54 PM, said:

I agree.

But the question was hypothetical, so perhaps a hypothetical answer:  most churches offer meeting rooms for community events, especially for small, nonprofit groups.  A few, for-profit churches charge for that.  Some churches also offer soup kitchens and shelter for the homeless and perform other acts of charity.  Those functions would need to be taken over by atheist clubs, granges (formerly), community and similar organizations that do not now have the tax and other advantages accorded churches.  Society could be reorganized to get along without churches and could do it more cost-effectively than churches do.  But I'd still miss the bells on Sunday morning.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#15    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,385 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:02 AM

View Postscowl, on 04 February 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Atheists would still go to church for the social events and business connections. They would be like clubs.
Atheist clubs already exist.  And like churches, they're into the social life, but occasionally they also do some good work in their communities.  Churches are just clubs anyway, so there wouldn't be much difference.

I think the big difference is that separation of church and state would be real instead of pretend.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users