Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Unexplained scratches (yep, another one!)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    HPunk

HPunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Forgive me, as I am new here. This seems like something that should be examined by a doctor, but alas, even my doctor doesn't know. I've seen other similar posts here and thought I'd pitch in my two cents.

Over the past few months I have developed random scratch-like marks on my body. They seem to appear out of nowhere, with no required stimuli. For example, I will be sitting at the computer all day in a short sleeved shirt, and they just pop up on my arms out of nowhere. I literally watch as they appear.

I suppose they can appear anywhere on me, but prominently they've been on my shoulders, arms and belly.

They do not itch or hurt; there's no kind of forewarning that I'm going to get them. They just appear. They are also raised slightly. They go away after a few hours.
I've also noticed whenever they appear I feel kind of groggy and tired.

I've been accused of scratching myself. Well, that theory doesn't work for two reasons: 1) 90% of the time, I do not have nails and 2) I've tried scratching myself to reproduce the same results and it doesn't look the same. Also, if I had that bad of an itch I think I'd remember scratching it that violently.

I do not believe I have Lymes, an autoimmune condition or any other kind of skin condition that could cause this. I've never had problems like this before. Also, they're not stretch marks, because I am a pretty thin person with little to no fat over my bones!

I've tried Zyrtec and Benadryl, and neither worked.

I've been documenting my journey here (http://vulpes-roots....ed/mystery-rash).
As you can see, some are short, and some are very long. Some are in a kind of cluster, some are parallel, and some "originate" from a certain point.

Now, some further research has shown me that many people are facing the same exact problem:
-A simple "unexplained scratches" in Google Images will show you the same results I have
-http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Unexplained-scratches-appearing-on-body/show/739845?page=1 has MANY people with the same problem

But there are no solid answers as to why this happens. Some even go as far as saying it is a paranormal event. I'm neither here nor there when it comes to the paranormal. I used to be big on New Age things, but when I started questioning my faith most of the paranormal stuff went out the door with it.
Others say it's a conspiracy theory, something to do with hybrids and cloning.

This interests me. Could I really have a demon following me around?! What am I supposed to do?

As a side note I'm also very into taxidermy. I won't rule out that maybe an animal on the other side is mad at me, haha.

Any thoughts?

Edited by HPunk, 05 February 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,861 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

Yep.  Speak to a different doctor about it or ask your present doctor to refer you to a dermatologist and psychologist.  No offence.

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,146 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

that's weird,hmmm I really don't have any advice for you

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

They look like a single human nail scratch to me. And rather mild scratches, imo. Or as far as I can tell from the pics and you said they don't hurt or itch.

How do you notice them? As in,  how do you notice that they "just appeared" right when you notice them and not before?

My husband has short nails too, but they can still have sharp or rough edges, especially after cutting them.

All I can offer, otherwise, no idea either.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#5    HPunk

HPunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 05 February 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

They look like a single human nail scratch to me. And rather mild scratches, imo. Or as far as I can tell from the pics and you said they don't hurt or itch.

How do you notice them? As in,  how do you notice that they "just appeared" right when you notice them and not before?

My husband has short nails too, but they can still have sharp or rough edges, especially after cutting them.

All I can offer, otherwise, no idea either.

I don't want to sound like I'm mad at you for being skeptical, but I'm telling you I'm not causing these. :/ I can't reproduce the same results on my own. When I scratch myself consciously (or not) it leaves a thick pink mark that goes away in a few minutes. These aren't the same width, they're red, and they last for hours. I'm not an itchy person lol.

As for noticing them, I mentioned there is no way for me to tell when they're coming. I seriously just notice them because they happen to be there. It's not like there's any signs from my body that scream "Hey, you're about to get the scratch marks again!" My most recent picture was taken today. I was on the computer for most of the day and when I looked over I had 3 lines on my wrist. That's it. They just apparently developed as I was sitting there. As for other pictures I noticed the streaks as I was about to hop in the shower and got a picture.

But thanks for your ideas :P

Edited by HPunk, 05 February 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#6    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,728 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

I am not saying this is the cause, but "Hives" popped in my Head while skimming your post?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticaria

I would not be surprised if the submind can effect the Skin also?

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#7    universalguy

universalguy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

I have one question to ask you.  What was the first thing that ran through you mind when you saw you had been scratched the first time?  The very first thing that ran throught your mind?

#8    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Could be random allergic reactions to some as yet unknown external factor. It is strange that you feel groggy when it happens. Are you on any medications? (You do not have to answer if you don't want to).
Also, when I used to use chainsaws a lot I got wood chippings in and on all of my cloths. These would get washed in the family wash and some small bits of wood 'would' get into to other clothes fibers including things like pajamas and stuff. So other people complained that their clothes were 'spiky' or 'itchy'. Could your clothes be getting contaminated by other peoples stuff?

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#9    AtlantisRises

AtlantisRises

Oderint dum metuant

• 2,397 posts

• My time has not yet come either, Some are born post humously

Ecce homo
    Nietszche

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

I would echo bulveye in saying it is probably environmental. I have done a fair bit of butchery over the years and bone chips and even dust can cause all sorta irritations even after clothes have been washed. Mites are another possibility. If you have pets it is easy to not notice your being scratched when it is in such a minor way. Not to mention that mites that cause scabies and other such problems can be passed by animals.

Posted Image

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,562 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

As a sufferer of chronic allergies i'm leaning towards a small allergic reaction also.

Mites, dust, some specific pollen, a random type of material in your shirts, the plastic in keyboards.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#11    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,612 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

You said that you're 'into' taxidermy, but what do you do for a living, as in, spend your most time doing?

#12    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,562 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 February 2014 - 12:40 AM, said:

You said that you're 'into' taxidermy,

I overlooked that, think of the critters on the animals, or the chemicals he'd be around.

that's almost surely got to be the issue, right?

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#13    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,030 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

the very fact that you get so many hits when you google it should reassure you that it's nothing to get alarmed about. i seriously doubt it's a demon or an abduction issue.
they don't hurt they don't bleed or spread or cause you any discomfort. so what's the point in obsessing over them?

#14    sea-dove

sea-dove

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Hi, you say its slightly raised and you get feel groggy and tired when you get them.  It sounds like something called Dermatographia to me (also known as skin writing disease), a very mild case of it.  I have that at times and mine comes and goes.. it can be triggered off more by stress or warmth eg after a shower so one can mark at some times more then other times.  At times just clothes touching my skin lightly have left marks (I currently thou havent had an incident of it for a while thou at one point thou the lightest touch could write on my skin like the photo at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia....aphic_urticaria  ).

This issue is I think usualy to do with some kind of mast cell disorder.  When I get marks due to that, they can last several hours.  This issue isnt something to be concerned about.  Why I also think it may be this as the extra histamine released when that occurs can cause someone to feel slightly groggy and tired.

#15    vcarbo100870

vcarbo100870

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

You are not alone. I had the exact same thing and it only happened when I woke up from sleep. Skeptics will try to explain it as self-inflicted, or you bumped into something in the night. Total nonsense. I'm not an idiot and don't take to fairy tales, but these marks on my left arm are specific and deep enough like a cat scratch but not deep enough to warrant a hospital. It also looks like a very specific pattern, almost like an upside down fork for lack of a better description. It's very wierd. I have had these before in a different pattern and several months ago. I realize that there are things unexplained in our universe but I'd like to figure this out. I don't buy dermatology or "normal" explanations, if you saw this, what looks like an ancient egyptian symbol, you wouldn't be so eager to write it off. It's very specific, not a random scratch, in a pattern. I wish I had someone familar with symbols to examine it.

Edited by vcarbo100870, 05 April 2014 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users