Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Curiosity Sees 'Evening Star' Earth

mars earth moon curiosity rover

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,072 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

NASA Mars Rover Curiosity Sees 'Evening Star' Earth

www.nasa.gov said:

New images from NASA's Curiosity Mars rover show Earth shining brighter than any star in the Martian night sky.

The rover's view of its original home planet even includes our moon, just below Earth.

The images, taken about 80 minutes after sunset during the rover's 529th Martian day (Jan. 31, 2014) are available at http://photojournal....atalog/PIA17936 for a broad scene of the evening sky, and at http://photojournal....atalog/PIA17935 for a zoomed-in view of Earth and the moon..

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,115 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

That is really cool!

#3    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,766 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

"With intellects vast, and cool, and unsympathetic... they regarded our world with envious eyes." - H.G. Wells, The War of the Worlds.

Sorry Waspie, I couldn't resist. Though I must admit, there is no site so humbling than seeing a little speck on its journey through the cosmos. Our speck.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,072 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostDecoNoir, on 06 February 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

Sorry Waspie, I couldn't resist.
There is never any need to apologise for quoting Herbert George.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,151 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I found the observed distance from the Earth to the Moon to be interesting, I don't know why but I thought it would appear much closer. Also you can see the grayish look to the Moon and a slightly blue tint to the Earth, assuming that was not enhanced color like many space photos. They should aim the camera at Jupiter if they are both currently on the same side of the sun, I would be curious how large it appears in the Martian sky when compared with how it appears on Earth.

#6    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

• Nanotech!

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

So mind boggling its like us on earth looking at the stars!

#7    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,846 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Grr.

If I'd known photos were being taken I'd have cleaned those windows of mine and out up decent curtains.

#8    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 6,558 posts

• I might have been born yesterday
    but, I stayed up all night.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hey Waspie,

I don't want to nit-pick but the main page of UM (not the forum) says, "The rover has taken a picture to show what Earth looks like from more than 100 million miles away." That's way over an AU, which can't be right. It must be in kilometres.

I don't know who to contact to correct this. You could probably fix this quicker.

#9    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

Just shows how insignificant we really are. Next planet over and we're hardly even visible.

#10    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,577 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

The Little blue Dot ! Sleep well Carl !

This is a Work in Progress!

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,924 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 February 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

Hey Waspie,

I don't want to nit-pick but the main page of UM (not the forum) says, "The rover has taken a picture to show what Earth looks like from more than 100 million miles away." That's way over an AU, which can't be right. It must be in kilometres.

I don't know who to contact to correct this. You could probably fix this quicker.

I checked a couple different articles and they all say just less then 100 million miles. You have to remember that Mars and the Earth are not locked to each other, so one can be on the other side of the Sun or on the same side as the Sun. I think 100 million miles means that we're at about a 45 degree angle from Mars in the solar plane (With the Sun as the axis). Probably a astronomy buff could answer exactly.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,924 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

and at http://photojournal....atalog/PIA17935 for a zoomed-in view of Earth and the moon..

The Moon is so bright, probably if there had been intellegent beings on Mars, they'd have thought that we live in a binary planetary system, with two worlds orbiting each other.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,139 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

Very cool pic

#14    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,247 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 09 February 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

I checked a couple different articles and they all say just less then 100 million miles. You have to remember that Mars and the Earth are not locked to each other, so one can be on the other side of the Sun or on the same side as the Sun. I think 100 million miles means that we're at about a 45 degree angle from Mars in the solar plane (With the Sun as the axis). Probably a astronomy buff could answer exactly.

Clarification here.
On 31JAN2014 (pic taken date) the distance in between Mars and the Earth was as follows @ 06:00h CET :
Km :159.273.650,79
Miles :  98.989.217,40
AU :  1,06467860
(The distance mentioned in the NASA article is correct)

Source : http://www.stellarium.org/en/ (a must have, btw)
:yes:

Edited by toast, 09 February 2014 - 09:14 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#15    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Sweet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users