Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged]Astrobiologist to present ET life claims

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Richard Hoover will be presenting his evidence for alien life at the International UFO Congress.

The controversial retired NASA astrobiologist has been making headlines for years thanks to his belief that conclusive evidence of extraterrestrial life has already been found.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-et-life-claims

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Saitung

Saitung

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

• We are today, the sum totality of all our life's decisions.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

POPULAR

It never ceases to amaze me how many will cling to old beliefs even in this new millennia. For years now the actual primary building blocks of life, “Amino Acids” have been found free-floating in space. This is the equivalent of discovering that space is a type of vast ocean and we occupy just a crevasse next to a chunk of coral. Human beings haven’t been around long enough to take up the arrogant position that we are the ultimate authorities on exactly what constitutes life, let alone extraterrestrial life. We only recently discovered bacteria living in radioactive waste. What this means is that we may not even be able to recognize alien life if it was standing in front of us. Some life forms may look diffent when appearing in our plane of existence or atmosphere just as deep sea creatures look different on the surface world than they do in the ocean's depths. Dr. Richard Hoover is exactly correct and he will more than likely be revered a hundred years from now for his discovery.  The age we now live in will be looked upon as the dark-age’s cutting-edge scientific thinking, when science was afraid to venture out of academic mind-sets into the new frontiers of the unknown.

The TRUTH is never pure and rarely simple. [Oscar Wilde]

#3    Astra-

Astra-

Xanadu

• 2,354 posts

• The key to success is to never stop learning.

The key to failure is to think you know it all.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostSaitung, on 07 February 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many will cling to old beliefs even in this new millennia. For years now the actual primary building blocks of life, “Amino Acids” have been found free-floating in space. This is the equivalent of discovering that space is a type of vast ocean and we occupy just a crevasse next to a chunk of coral. Human beings haven’t been around long enough to take up the arrogant position that we are the ultimate authorities on exactly what constitutes life, let alone extraterrestrial life. We only recently discovered bacteria living in radioactive waste. What this means is that we may not even be able to recognize alien life if it was standing in front of us. Some life forms may look diffent when appearing in our plane of existence or atmosphere just as deep sea creatures look different on the surface world than they do in the ocean's depths. Dr. Richard Hoover is exactly correct and he will more than likely be revered a hundred years from now for his discovery.  The age we now live in will be looked upon as the dark-age’s cutting-edge scientific thinking, when science was afraid to venture out of academic mind-sets into the new frontiers of the unknown.
Very well said and I totally agree.

Posted Image

#4    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,139 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I remember loking into this a while back. I came to the same conclusion of his evidence as mainstream scientists.  The so called fossils are natural formations within the rock. which came about through geological processes.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#5    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

That is not nearly enough on it's own. I think when most people think of Alien life, they think, well little grey beings. And as tantalizing as his (Hoover's) argument is, in my eyes is still not definite proof. Who's to say that Amino acids aren't just universal like a lot of other things are.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,465 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostSaitung, on 07 February 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I don't think that most people would argue against the fact that the building blocks of life are free floating in space.  In 1834 Jons Berzelius discovered carbon compounds in a meteorite that fell in France and ever since then there have been multiple instances of meteorites falling to earth loaded with the building blocks of life.  The Murchison Meteorite in 1969 contained Amino Acids that are used by terrestrial life but it begs the question, are these amino acids the decayed remnants of an extraterrrestrial life form or the result of chemical processes?  Many of the amino acids had left handed hellicity, just like our right handed DNA uses but polarized light can create this as well.

I think the best you can get out of this is the argument that life didn't start as some miraculous event occurring spontaneously in a promordial soup but the building blcoks of life were delivered in pieces from space.  This isn't proof of life, it is proof that the building blocks of life are abundant in space and delivered to habitable planets via meteors, comets and asteroids.

Edited by Merc14, 07 February 2014 - 02:51 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#7    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,147 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostMerc14, on 07 February 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I think the best you can get out of this is the argument that life didn't start as some miraculous event occurring spontaneously in a promordial soup but the building blcoks of life were delivered in pieces from space.  This isn't proof of life, it is proof that the building blocks of life are abundant in space and delivered to habitable planets via meteors, comets and asteroids.

I agree, from what we have found so far with astrobiology (from meteors to the Curiosity missions et al) we can't currently infer anything more than the possibility that life exists beyond Earth. We are still missing that elusive 'Exhibit A' however I'm optimistic that it will be found within my lifetime...at least I hope so.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#8    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,465 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 07 February 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I agree, from what we have found so far with astrobiology (from meteors to the Curiosity missions et al) we can't currently infer anything more than the possibility that life exists beyond Earth. We are still missing that elusive 'Exhibit A' however I'm optimistic that it will be found within my lifetime...at least I hope so.

I think we will find proof of life in the next decade as well, either with some fossil record, artifact or with one of the new generation telescopes schedule to come on line.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,006 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

I wonder how man people Hoover will suck in....

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#10    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 08 February 2014 - 02:37 AM, said:

I wonder how man people Hoover will suck in....

Boom Boom. I congratulate you, sir.

Edited by mesuma, 08 February 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#11    healer378

healer378

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Smoking man in X-files?

#12    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

• My god its almost year end again!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Again microbes.. Wat most ppl want to see/know is inteligent life. I think there r lots of alien civilisations out there. Some still stone age, some quite mordern like us n just a few capable of interstellar space travel. I also believe some planets out there just harbour non-inteligent life (animals, monsters...). Earth is just a speck of dust in the universe i really don think we r alone..

Edited by TheGreatBeliever, 09 February 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#13    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,016 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

The object in focus is a Mars meteorite named ALH84001, some infos here :

http://www.lpi.usra....rites/life.html

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/alh.html

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#14    Amerix

Amerix

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

And in a few days, no one will ever hear about this story again.

#15    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,645 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hoover gets wheeled out periodically by true believers (and obviously he can still make a small buck from the ufology circuit) , but all he has is structures that look vaguely similar to microbial life residue.  They also look a lot like natural geological intrusions, and some/most/all of them are from potentially contaminated sources.

As for amino acids - save me.  Yes, they are indeed some of the basic building blocks of life - but so is flippin' hydrogen, and carbon, and that isn't 'news' - there's a lot of that stuff around our nearest star..  No scientist has yet been able to make life from amino acids, so forgive me if I dismiss Hoover and wait upon something a bit closer to real life like alien DNA, instead of this incredibly weak 'evidence' that would only satisfy Zoserians.  Unfortunately there are enough of those around to make these ufology conferences still viable.

All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - ChrLzs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users