Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Facts VS Opinion

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

I have noticed a theme lately where members have given dialog as facts, yet when some member ask that person where he got these facts from or even where they heard these facts, their reaction is either side stepping the question, ignoring it or belittling the person who asked them.

i am not refering to beliefs, where some one says they believe in some thing a from they experienced.

what I am refering to is people who say things like "Microsoft has alien technology" or "Nasa has an live alien" and yet they can't tell us where they heard it from or have any documention to back it up.

this seriously baffles me, how can one treat this misinformation/rumors as facts and yet they will deny that it isnt their opinion and belief while refusing to give references, links and the source. Does some ones opinion matter more than the facts it self? is it perhaps the frame of mind that thinks, it sounds plausible so it must be true?

Edited by Brian Topp, 07 February 2014 - 06:51 PM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#2    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,056 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

That is why I have disclaimers on my profile.  I am hoping that whenever I say something, that it stirs the curiosity and the reader will do the search for themselves.

I took a senior level communication course in college where we learned to assess what is fact (something you can see for yourself, something you can hold in your hand or view with your own eyes, or have your own experience with) from reports (something that is reported as fact, yet you have no way of knowing if that report is authentic) or opinions. Knowing this has been extremely helpful.

View PostBrian Topp, on 07 February 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

I have noticed a theme lately where members have given dialog as facts, yet when some member ask that person where he got these facts from or even where they heard these facts, their reaction is either side stepping the question, ignoring it or belittling the person who asked them.

i am not refering to beliefs, where some one says they believe in some is a form of opinion of what they experienced. what I am refering to is people who say things like "Microsoft has alien technology" or "Nasa has an live alien" and yet they can't tell us where they heard it from or have any documention to back it up.

this seriously baffles me, how can one treat this misinformation/rumors as facts and yet they will deny that it isnt their opinion and belief while refusing to give references, links and the source. Does some ones opinion matter more than the facts it self? is it perhaps the frame of mind that thinks, it sounds plausible so it must be true?

Edited by regeneratia, 07 February 2014 - 06:55 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#3    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 07 February 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

is it perhaps the frame of mind that thinks, it sounds plausible so it must be true?

I think you nailed it. I'm not on the boards to lie to anyone, nor do I like being lied to. On the same thought, I'll give an example using me:
I do -believe- in a God. I do know that everything around me does not need that belief to work. I have seen evolution (micro leading to macro) as a testable model, a perfect model to explain species, changes etc. Is God to me a personal fact? I don't know and I would not present my beliefs or ideas as fact unless testable.

I think people inherently desire their ideas, thoughts and faiths to be indisputable. It has blinded many to truth. From scientist to layperson.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that science is blind to facts, just individuals who refuse to test their ideas or that fudge data to prove a point.

EDIT: I hope that I made sense. Coffee is weak today.

Edited by RedSquirrel, 07 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

There is a reason why this site is called "unexplained-mysteries"

This is not www.physicsforums.com, where facts are indeed demanded. I was a member there for many, many years.

What comes to mind on our forum are subjects such as ET-UFO's and the paranormal topics. Very little is factually-based, rather opinions or "reports"

This is not unhealthy, as, if everything was demanded to be factually-based this forum would not exist. Thus, a robust, entertaining discussion can occur on a specific topic without an overwhelming need for "facts"

I like that position. Though of course, like you, I like "facts" too.

#5    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,683 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

If someone has an opinion, they should clarify their position and say very bluntly it is their opinion..

If they say it is a fact, they should be able to cite an authentic source.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

True, but on certain topics it should be clearly evident that it's an opinion.

To constantly use "IMHO", for example, is redundant by default of the topic.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,857 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

View Postpallidin, on 07 February 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

True, but on certain topics it should be clearly evident that it's an opinion.

To constantly use "IMHO", for example, is redundant by default of the topic.

And that is where common sense comes in. Asking for a source on current events, history or the like and someone won't provide it they are either lazy, arrogant or ashamed of their sources. To constantly hound someone about "proof" in regards to bigfoot, ghosts or religion borders on the ridiculous sometimes... IMHO. :P

#8    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,549 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

While I do respect opinions in regards to certain topics, I don't think that's the problem presented in the OP. The problem is, as can be seen on certain threads, when opinion is expressed as absolute fact! Even when this is not the case, how the poster came to the conclusion can be expressed, and can lend some credibility to those opinions as well.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#9    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

This site seems like a good place to share opinions, as crazy as some of them may be. I'm guilty of it myself. Lol

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#10    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

It's a fact that it's my opinion that facts are more important than opinions.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 07 February 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

No doubt. But it's also suggested that some scientific discoveries eventually leading to facts actually started with pure speculation and "opinionated" banter. IMHO.

Edited by pallidin, 07 February 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,993 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:09 AM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 07 February 2014 - 11:01 PM, said:

that's  funny.   Facts are wonderful and all.... but  what is an Idea?  a fact or an opinion?   I'd say that every idea and inspiration is akin to an opinion until verified as fact or folly?

ORIGIN Middle English: viaOld French from Latin opinio(n-), from the stem of opinari think, believe.’

Edited by lightly, 08 February 2014 - 01:13 AM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,056 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

View PostDrayno, on 07 February 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

If someone has an opinion, they should clarify their position and say very bluntly it is their opinion..

i do'nt think people should have to back up their opinions. There is nothing to compell me to back them up. Take them or leave them. They are opinions, by their very nature, subjective.

View PostDrayno, on 07 February 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I think that ist is the job of the reader to search for things that back up someone else's opinions.

View Postpallidin, on 07 February 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

No doubt. But it's also suggested that some scientific discoveries eventually leading to facts actually started with pure speculation and "opinionated" banter. IMHO.

I respect that.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#14    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,056 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:19 AM

View PostRedSquirrel, on 07 February 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

I think you nailed it. I'm not on the boards to lie to anyone, nor do I like being lied to. On the same thought, I'll give an example using me:
I do -believe- in a God. I do know that everything around me does not need that belief to work. I have seen evolution (micro leading to macro) as a testable model, a perfect model to explain species, changes etc. Is God to me a personal fact? I don't know and I would not present my beliefs or ideas as fact unless testable.

I think people inherently desire their ideas, thoughts and faiths to be indisputable. It has blinded many to truth. From scientist to layperson.

Disclaimer: I do not believe that science is blind to facts, just individuals who refuse to test their ideas or that fudge data to prove a point.

EDIT: I hope that I made sense. Coffee is weak today.

I think that sometimes science is based on an opinion and then the studies are done, are designed, to back up that opinion. Time and time again, we see scientists admit to altering data or skewing a study design.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#15    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

I think this is just like the scientific theory vs. personal theory (synonymous with idea) issue.

There's a difference between scientific facts that are provable etc. and personal facts which people accept as true for themselves.

Embrace the impossible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users