Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Zoo sparks outrage by killing healthy giraffe

giraffe marius copenhagen zoo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,547 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Keepers at a Danish zoo have defended their decision to put down a 'surplus' giraffe.

Eighteen-month-old Marius, a giraffe at Copenhagen Zoo, was killed this morning by a bolt gun following a call for the facility to change its mind.

http://metro.co.uk/2...lation-4296383/

:(

Posted Image

#2    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

While maintenance of such a large animal would be costly, I cannot imagine that steps could not have been taken to avoid such an extreme solution. My state is one of the poorest in the country but we as citizens would gladly done so. Some individual would have started things rolling with a donation and others would have followed. It's a shame.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#3    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

View Postand then, on 09 February 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

While maintenance of such a large animal would be costly, I cannot imagine that steps could not have been taken to avoid such an extreme solution. My state is one of the poorest in the country but we as citizens would gladly done so. Some individual would have started things rolling with a donation and others would have followed. It's a shame.

Steps were taken, but none were viable. And as the vet correctly asked, why not this outrage about pigs, cows, etc.?

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,893 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 09 February 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Steps were taken, but none were viable. And as the vet correctly asked, why not this outrage about pigs, cows, etc.?

Cheers,
Badeskov
I guess because they are part of the food chain for us, this giraffe was there to earn a "tourist dollar" when it wasn't cost effective it was discarded - that is an offensive way to think about any life.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,547 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 09 February 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

Steps were taken, but none were viable.

Cheers,
Badeskov
Not even this?

Other zoos, including the Yorkshire wildlife park in Britain, had offered to take it in.

http://www.theguardi...-giraffe-marius

Posted Image

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,169 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

A Lioness and cubs were also put down, in the UK! (in another separate story that is)

http://www.dailymail...taff-tears.html

Edited by seeder, 09 February 2014 - 03:33 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,547 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Postseeder, on 09 February 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

A Lioness and cubs were also put down, in the UK! (in another separate story that is)

http://www.dailymail...taff-tears.html
In the BBC version of that news story it says -

A spokesman said a spate of pregnancies had led to a 40% increase in lion numbers causing "excessive violent behaviour".

It said one lion was destroyed after being injured in an attack while five more were destroyed because their health was believed to be at risk.
http://www.bbc.co.uk...tshire-26108506

Whereas the giraffe was said to be 'healthy'.

Posted Image

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,950 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

A similar situation exists in the US for Greyhounds.  Once their useful time on a racetrack is finished they are euthanized if not adopted.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#9    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 09 February 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

I guess because they are part of the food chain for us, this giraffe was there to earn a "tourist dollar" when it wasn't cost effective it was discarded - that is an offensive way to think about any life.

It was not put down because it was not cost effective, but because it was a male too many in the fold. While giraffes are social animals, there is also a strong hierarchy among them and as a male, Marius would have been harassed and excluded by the rest of the flock essentially giving him a miserable life - the other male was already after him. And unfortunately there was nobody in the European Association of ZOOs and Aquaria that were able to take him.    

Cheers,
Badeskov

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#10    ZOD

ZOD

Intern of the Illuminatti

• 5,151 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

So, do they intend to use the animal to feed homeless, or anything?

Seems like a waste of a lot of raw materials

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#11    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,360 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostScheming B, on 09 February 2014 - 09:15 PM, said:

So, do they intend to use the animal to feed homeless, or anything?

Seems like a waste of a lot of raw materials

The carcass was autopsied and most of it was fed to the lions. The vets keep a few things for science and further study.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited for typo.

Edited by badeskov, 09 February 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#12    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

View Postbadeskov, on 09 February 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

The carcass was autopsied and most of it was fed to the lions. The vets keep a few things for science and further study.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Edited for typo.

Zookeepers kill healthy baby giraffe with a bolt gun because he was 'surplus to requirements' and then feed him to the lions but not before doing an autopsy in front of young children.

View: Link

Posted Image

#13    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

http://www.yousign.o.../copenhagen-zoo

I cannot even express how outraged I am by this.
If anyone feels the same, please sign the petition to the government of Copenhagen.

Miss me?

#14    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 February 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

http://www.yousign.o.../copenhagen-zoo

I cannot even express how outraged I am by this.
If anyone feels the same, please sign the petition to the government of Copenhagen.

Done..

Posted Image

#15    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:05 AM

While i am not outraged in the slightest about killing a giraffe and feeding it to lions, i was outraged by a comment that this giraffe was "genetically inferior". What does that mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users