Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Iran sending warships toward U.S.

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Washington (CNN) -- A senior Iranian naval official says Iran is sending warships toward U.S. maritime borders to send a message, a move a U.S. defense official characterized as an announcement, not a deployment.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

I think there may be an incident coming soon...

#2    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

A bit dull

• 26,447 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Sounds as much a load of flannel as the Dominant 323 stealth fighter. I think they've only got about three frigates, haven't 'they.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    FarmWalker

FarmWalker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

If the Iranians do this, their ships will be "greeted" by a vastly superior U.S. Naval force.

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,353 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

If this is indeed true, it's a pretty stupid move IMO.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#5    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• 1,673 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Nothing wrong with approaching a maritime border. Crossing it is another matter.  Just a bunch of harmless posturing.

#6    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

A bit dull

• 26,447 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

There's no way ion this or any other planet that the Iranian navy could conceivably be a threat to the Might of the U.S. Navy, at least until they get an aircraft carrier or SSBN, and besides, they've got a perfect right to go wherever they want until they get inside US Territorial waters (if they were really setting forth across the Atlantic, which I very much doubt, with the blue water experience that they have they'd be lucky to get anywhere near the US with all the storms in the Atlantic at this time of year.)

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#7    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Since when did the U.S. own all the oceans.

"Freedom of the seas doesn't just apply to fish. It applies to all maritime nations, all navies, everywhere -- so long as they understand the responsibilities which come with that freedom," the defense official said``

Let them go anywhere they want. Until there is a threat whats the issue. Not like thay can launch an attack and if they did it`s suicide.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#8    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,200 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostColonel Rhubarb, on 09 February 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

There's no way ion this or any other planet that the Iranian navy could conceivably be a threat to the Might of the U.S. Navy, at least until they get an aircraft carrier or SSBN, and besides, they've got a perfect right to go wherever they want until they get inside US Territorial waters (if they were really setting forth across the Atlantic, which I very much doubt, with the blue water experience that they have they'd be lucky to get anywhere near the US with all the storms in the Atlantic at this time of year.)
They have a perfect right to passage as you said.  They need the blue water experience and they seem ready to begin but if they actually take up positions and deploy regularly just outside our borders I imagine the Navy may "help" them in their training so they can get up to proficiency a bit faster  :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,200 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 09 February 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

Since when did the U.S. own all the oceans.

"Freedom of the seas doesn't just apply to fish. It applies to all maritime nations, all navies, everywhere -- so long as they understand the responsibilities which come with that freedom," the defense official said``

Let them go anywhere they want. Until there is a threat whats the issue. Not like thay can launch an attack and if they did it`s suicide.
Funny you should make your point that way.  First - these guys practically invented the suicide belt and second they CAN attack soon - and to devastating effect.  A single crude nuke atop a scud c launcher could shut down a significant part of America in the twinkling of an eye.  So what if we sink a ship...or even if we nuked Tehran, America would become a 3rd world country in a day.  EMP is real and it could be the end of America as we know it.c

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#10    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 4,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

I bet there is an attack sub shadowing them or soon to keep eyes on.

View Postand then, on 09 February 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Funny you should make your point that way.  First - these guys practically invented the suicide belt and second they CAN attack soon - and to devastating effect.  A single crude nuke atop a scud c launcher could shut down a significant part of America in the twinkling of an eye.  So what if we sink a ship...or even if we nuked Tehran, America would become a 3rd world country in a day.  EMP is real and it could be the end of America as we know it.c

They don't have a missile which could reach the US.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#11    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

How many boats can the Iranian navy produce?  10 or 15? It's nearly land-locked where everybody rides camels, and we are worried about their navy? :innocent:

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,284 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

View Postand then, on 09 February 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:

Matey, America is a Third World Country already, you just have too much money in your pockets to realise it.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#13    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,714 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 09 February 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Matey, America is a Third World Country already, you just have too much money in your pockets to realise it.

Correction... a third-world country with the most powerful navy on the planet.  (lol)

#14    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,647 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

Didn't the Russians do something similar with their "Bear" bombers? flying to Cuba and Venezuela?

#15    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

The Iranians are desperate to be recognized and accepted...this is a cry for attention and nothing more.  It def isn't a threat even if that is the intention...it's not.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users