Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Can we erase memories entirely?

erase memories memory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,637 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Most of us have terrible moments we'd rather forget, but if you could wipe parts of your memory entirely would you do it?

It's no longer just in the realms of science fiction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-26088319

Posted Image

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,455 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

I think this is (generally speaking) a bad idea. Who you are is a function of what you've experienced. Some of my worst experiences have taught me compassion that I might not otherwise have. In order to appreciate joy one has to have known sorrow. Life isn't supposed to be devoid of any painful experiences. In many cases it's through adversity that we learn and grow.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,903 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Being able to selectively erase memories is the first step to the government being able to rewrite them.

#4    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

yes there are memory's from the past That I would consider having erased, however my fear would be that someone ( some fallible human)  would slip and erase some good memory. examples being  that thirty two scoop bowl of Ice cream on my 12th birthday.  Or my best buddy ( Mr. Magee) to the left sitting at the table waiting for his  treat while we snap pictures of him,  or the first salmon I ever caught........   so  I would most likely never have my mind/memory voluntarily erased.

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 09 February 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#5    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 3,003 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I wouldn't do it.. My memories, good and bad, make me who I am.

#6    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I would not erase my memories. What we experience and sometimes suffer through is essential for our growth and development. We need to know some sort of pain to be happy. We need to know life's ups  and downs so that we can continue. If we had a way to float through life untouched by memories of pain, sorrow, grief, whatever, then it is a life wasted, because you don't grow without those.

And just personally, my worst times are awful memories that bring pain whenever I think about them, they are memories I'd like to erase, but I never would. Often times afterwards there was some feeling of inner growth or of strength after fighting through and learning to deal with the event and the memory.

Really, if we didn't have memories of the bad, the minute something bad happens we won't know how to cope or deal. It's just a part of the human journey to experience pain and hurt, and learn to get through it.

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#7    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

"This tells who they are... & where they came from." We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Phillip K. Dick.

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#8    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

i dont think i would get rid of any of my memories, unless i can select the useless and get rid of it. i think a murderer or pedophile should have memories of the crimes taken away from them. The question is would we still put a person in prison if behavior can be controlled and the root of evil forgotten.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,592 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 09 February 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

i dont think i would get rid of any of my memories, unless i can select the useless and get rid of it. i think a murderer or pedophile should have memories of the crimes taken away from them. The question is would we still put a person in prison if behavior can be controlled and the root of evil forgotten.

In many cases, such violent individuals are not troubled by the acts they commit on others, but the acts that were committed on them - often as children. However, these memories are repressed and so locating them to be "zapped" would prove problematic.

Removing the memories of their crimes would not help rehabilitate them.

Edited by Leonardo, 09 February 2014 - 09:28 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,508 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Once bitten, twice shy bitten.

#11    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

According to my ex-wife I already have the ability to do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users