Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Looking for an ancient painting of a yeti

sasquatch yeren hihi yeti bigfoot

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Karate Louie

Karate Louie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• Not sure if he is confused about that

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and hoping someone could help me out. Over at another forum, one of our members is looking for a very old painting of a yeti that he remembers seeing in a book as a supposed "proof" that yetis existed. Here's everything he remembers about it:

"It's really old. I don't know enough about art to say how old. Maybe pre-1400s? I don't know. I think it's Chinese. There's a scary yeti peeking inside of a monastery and everyone inside of it has a really scary face and they all look terrified. . . . It's just a snowy mountain and he's peeking into a building . . . I saw it in a book about yetis and bigfoot when I was a kid. I think it was supposed to be convincing evidence of the yeti's existence..."

He thinks the style of the painting was something like this image (not sure if I'm supposed to hotlink; the image is safe for work):

http://www.wpbeijing.com/art/fam3.jpg

Can anyone remember anything like this? We've had no luck searching online. We've turned up a few old images like the following (again, these are safe for work):

http://www.themandus...Yeti-tibet1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i7HYcD7.jpg

But nothing that comes even close to matching his description. Is it ringing a bell for anyone? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Karate Louie, 11 February 2014 - 05:04 PM.

No but there is an alien version where an alien peeks through a family home during Christmas, infact it was on youtube. Not sure if he is confused about that

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,850 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

No but there is an alien version where an alien peeks through a family home during Christmas, infact it was on youtube. Not sure if he is confused about that

#3    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Welcome to UM Louie :st  Hope you enjoy it here :sk

I can very much visualize what you are talking about, but I have no idea if I'm having a thunderbird moment or if I might have seen a similar image at some point. There are some rather good bigfoot folks here though, one of them might be helpful.

#4    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

I know this is a double post but.. Louie, do you have any idea how old the person is that said they saw it in a book when they were a kid? That might help narrow down what publications there are out there on the subject.

And I still get the feeling I'm having a thunderbird photo moment with thinking about the image of yeti in the snow.

#5    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

I have some resources at home to check- several books and a recording of a show. I'll try to look through them tomorrow.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#6    ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

i think i have seen what you are talking about karate kid... lol

in one of monsterquest TV series, it had a historic painting from the far east of a ape type man, and the monks were terrified.
Also the monastery had/have the hand of this ape/yeti called something like panbochi

Posted Image

#7    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,469 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Finding your Yeti painting over the internet may prove as elusive as the creature itself. Without knowing if the book was published before or after the internet was a household commodity, the odds are the painting may not even exist online as an image file unless someone did an image scan.

If you happen to recall the name of the book, that might help to narrow down your search.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,115 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:12 PM

Karate Louie, on 11 February 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and hoping someone could help me out. Over at another forum, one of our members is looking for a very old painting of a yeti that he remembers seeing in a book as a supposed "proof" that yetis existed. Here's everything he remembers about it:

"It's really old. I don't know enough about art to say how old. Maybe pre-1400s? I don't know. I think it's Chinese. There's a scary yeti peeking inside of a monastery and everyone inside of it has a really scary face and they all look terrified. . . . It's just a snowy mountain and he's peeking into a building . . . I saw it in a book about yetis and bigfoot when I was a kid. I think it was supposed to be convincing evidence of the yeti's existence..."

He thinks the style of the painting was something like this image (not sure if I'm supposed to hotlink; the image is safe for work):

http://www.wpbeijing.com/art/fam3.jpg

Can anyone remember anything like this? We've had no luck searching online. We've turned up a few old images like the following (again, these are safe for work):

http://www.themandus...Yeti-tibet1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/i7HYcD7.jpg

But nothing that comes even close to matching his description. Is it ringing a bell for anyone? Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I'm curious as to why this painting would be considered "proof" of the Yeti's existence?  Ancient paintings have all sorts of mythical creatures in them.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,701 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 12 February 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Also the monastery had/have the hand of this ape/yeti called something like panbochi

I have seen the 'Pangboche hand' and scalp many years ago in the monastery.

http://www.bigfooten...gboche_hand.htm

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#10    ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

ThesillyfunnyguyIDK

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

ealdwita, on 12 February 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

I have seen the 'Pangboche hand' and scalp many years ago in the monastery.

http://www.bigfooten...gboche_hand.htm

me 2, i have also seen the hand and scalp, but on tv lol

Posted Image

#11    Karate Louie

Karate Louie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

rashore, on 11 February 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

I know this is a double post but.. Louie, do you have any idea how old the person is that said they saw it in a book when they were a kid? That might help narrow down what publications there are out there on the subject.

Thanks, good question. He says it would have been the early 90s or the 80s when he saw the book.

We're now looking into Tibetan tapestries (called tangkas). Feel like we're getting closer but would still value anyone's reasonable input here.

#12    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,041 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ask one of the psychics on here!

(Welcome to UM, KL)

Edited by Eldorado, 12 February 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#13    Karate Louie

Karate Louie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I shouldn't have to ask them.

#14    urban_yeti

urban_yeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hello, I'm the person that's been trying to find the artwork.

I don't know whether or not it's evidence of the yeti's existence. Chances are the author used it to provide evidence of the myth, not evidence of the creature's physical existence. It's something I saw in a book when I was a child. I estimate it was around 1991-1993, when I was 5-7 years old. Do I know what the book was called or what it was even about? Not really. I'm not sure if it was a book about bigfoot and yetis; miscellaneous mystery animals and bigfoot; ufos, aliens, dinosaurs and yetis. I have no idea. I wish I could narrow it down, but I can't.

There isn't much to go off beyond my fading memory of the image. It's something that I think about once in a while. For some reason I found the painting pretty scary and it burned its way into my brain. The look on the monks' faces really creeped me out as a kid.

I guess the way I described the image is compelling enough to get quite a few other curiosity seekers out there looking. The images we've come across on our wild goose chase have all been really cool, and I'm hoping we eventually find what I'm looking for. If you know what it is and want to help, that's cool. I'm not claiming to know anything about it. For all I know it doesn't even exist. The more I think about it, the more made-up it seems. Then again, there is a ton of artwork like this out there.

It's heartening that others out there claim to remember this image. I'm honestly surprised I can't find more artwork from this region that contains yetis. You'd think it's more common.

Anyway, thanks if you can help. Thanks if you can't.

Edited by urban_yeti, 12 February 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#15    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

There was an episode of the old cartoon Johnny Quest where they were at a monestary when a Yeti was around.

Also tagged with sasquatch, yeren, hihi, yeti, bigfoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users