Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Crocs can climb trees

crocodile trees

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

I can't believe this is not already posted.

http://www.naturewor...climb-trees.htm

It turns out that at least four species of crocodilians could climb trees. Also, smaller crocodiles are better climbers than larger ones.
Posted Image

Edited by DieChecker, 12 February 2014 - 05:44 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

Intelligent, crafty, inventive, agile on land, sea, and now "air"...and deadly. My favorite characteristics in a predator. :passifier:

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,195 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:30 AM

Ahh, Australia. Always coming up with new ways to brutally murder the locals.
I love this country.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:45 AM

Posted Image

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#5    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,911 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

Photos here...
http://www.herpetolo...e7_pages3-7.pdf

The above is a pdf.

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Blimey, recent news would suggest Mermaids can too then!

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Not really that surprising, reptiles like aquatic turtle and alligators often bask on semi-submerged tree trunks that jut out of the water, so it's not hard to see them climbing on near horizontal tree limbs. There are cases where alligators have climbed up and over a 6' chain link fence, that was pretty impressive! When manatees are seen basking up in a tree, call me.

Edited by Sundew, 12 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#8    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostSundew, on 12 February 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

There are cases where alligators have climbed up and over a 6' chain link fence, that was pretty impressive!
I remember that, we had a thread about it -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=237978

Posted Image

#9    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

OK, without me actually having read the article: crocs are "remarkably adept"... yet they just figured this out NOW?? Next year they're gonna be amazed at just how well birds can fly!

#10    ineffectiveArtist

ineffectiveArtist

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Are we safe nowhere now? Well, I guess in the Artic. No crocs there.... right? O.O

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Well coconuts kill far more people than crocs and alligators and sharks combined, so you need to pay attention all around you,

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Well coconuts kill far more people than crocs and alligators and sharks combined, so you need to pay attention all around you,

I believe I heard the statistic that in New Guinea, death from falling objects (limbs, branches, etc.) is the number one cause of death, and of the deadly objects I think I remember that 50% were coconuts. If you visit Florida you have no idea how tall coconut trees can get, Lethal Yellowing Disease killed most of the large ones some 25-30 years age and the resistant ones are still fairly young. Go to Hawai`i or some other tropical country not affected by LYD and you can see coconut palms 80-100 feet or so in height and a 10 pound coconut falling from this height can do serious damage.

Still a coconut won't chase you down and eat you.....

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostSundew, on 12 February 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

I believe I heard the statistic that in New Guinea, death from falling objects (limbs, branches, etc.) is the number one cause of death, and of the deadly objects I think I remember that 50% were coconuts. If you visit Florida you have no idea how tall coconut trees can get, Lethal Yellowing Disease killed most of the large ones some 25-30 years age and the resistant ones are still fairly young. Go to Hawai`i or some other tropical country not affected by LYD and you can see coconut palms 80-100 feet or so in height and a 10 pound coconut falling from this height can do serious damage.

Still a coconut won't chase you down and eat you.....
Crushed skull kills you just as dead as being disemboweled.

#14    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well here's something I didn't know people didn't know. When I read the headline I was like yeah, I've seen that before. But apparently it's news ... weird.

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,099 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Wow. Never heard of such a thing. Didn't know some of their species could actually climb trees.

Being born and raised in Florida, I always looked down. Now I know better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users