Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How big is the universe ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

How big is the universe ?
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 04:17s

The universe may appear to be almost unlimited in scope, but just how large is it really ?

#2    MyOtherAccount

MyOtherAccount

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Its not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here.

• There are two things in life that are certain; the normal and the paranormal.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

Just as I thought it is at least bigger than a football field!

Seriously...

I am trying to promote the concept that the Universe is not currently infinite but bound and expanding. However, the black void of Nothing-ness is what the universe is expanding into, i.e. the universe and the black void (Nothing) in space are not the same.

What do you think?

#3    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:06 AM

I don't know. I saw a vid with Leonard Susskind and he stopped short of saying the universe was infinite but said it was at least a thousand times bigger than what we observe. I'm not exactly sure how this is determined. It's hard for me philosophically to imagine it actually being infinite but I'm not sure how it could end. If Hubble's law remains constant whatever edge there might be would be racing away from us so fast we could travel forever and never reach the edge, making it functionally infinite at least. Your idea of the black void does make sense to me, but I'm not sure how to differentiate that from just saying outside of space-time is no space-no time.

#4    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

It sure is a hard concept to grasp the universe as expanding in every direction no matter from wherever in the universe you stand.  What that means is if you  somehow left Earth and stood on the 'edge' of the universe, you would now be standing at its 'center'  and the Earth would now become the 'edge'.  It would make more sense to say the only difference between a center and an edge of space is a relative one, but probably more accurate in terms of dimension to describe the universe as having a 'closest' point and a 'farthest' point in time.

Edited by taniwha, 13 February 2014 - 01:46 AM.

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users