Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How big is the universe ?

Saru

Just as I thought it is at least bigger than a football field!

Seriously...

I am trying to promote the concept that the Universe is not currently infinite but bound and expanding. However, the black void of Nothing-ness is what the universe is expanding into, i.e. the universe and the black void (Nothing) in space are not the same.

What do you think?

I don't know. I saw a vid with Leonard Susskind and he stopped short of saying the universe was infinite but said it was at least a thousand times bigger than what we observe. I'm not exactly sure how this is determined. It's hard for me philosophically to imagine it actually being infinite but I'm not sure how it could end. If Hubble's law remains constant whatever edge there might be would be racing away from us so fast we could travel forever and never reach the edge, making it functionally infinite at least. Your idea of the black void does make sense to me, but I'm not sure how to differentiate that from just saying outside of space-time is no space-no time.

• Like 1

It sure is a hard concept to grasp the universe as expanding in every direction no matter from wherever in the universe you stand. What that means is if you somehow left Earth and stood on the 'edge' of the universe, you would now be standing at its 'center' and the Earth would now become the 'edge'. It would make more sense to say the only difference between a center and an edge of space is a relative one, but probably more accurate in terms of dimension to describe the universe as having a 'closest' point and a 'farthest' point in time.

Edited by taniwha