Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 1 votes

U.S press freedom drops from rank 13 to 46


  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,140 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

  • There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

So in one year 2013 we dropped from ranked 13 for press freedom in the world and now we are down to 46 :td:


http://www.huffingto..._b_4770182.html



According to a new report from Reporters Without Borders, there was a profound erosion of press freedom in the United States in 2013.
After a year of attacks on whistleblowers and digital journalists and revelations about mass surveillance, the United States plunged 13 spots in the group's global press freedom rankings to number 46.
Reporters Without Borders writes that the U.S. faced "one of the most significant declines" in the world last year. Even the United Kingdom, whose sustained campaign to criminalize the Guardian's reporters and intimidate journalists has made headlines around the world, dropped only three spots, to number 33. The U.S. fell as many spots as Paraguay, where "the pressure on journalists to censor themselves keeps on mounting."
Citing the Justice Department's aggressive prosecution of whistleblowers, including its secret seizure of Associated Press phone records, the authors write that "freedom of information is too often sacrificed to an overly broad and abusive interpretation of national security needs, marking a disturbing retreat from democratic practices. Investigative journalism often suffers as a result."
The threats facing newsgathering in the U.S. are felt by both longstanding journalists like New York Times national security reporter James Risen, who may serve jail time for refusing to reveal a source, and non-traditional digital journalists like Barrett Brown.

Edited by spartan max2, 13 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 28,539 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

This is what happens when the government is getting ready to start to oppress its citizens.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/

#3    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,035 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 13 February 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

So in one year 2013 we dropped from ranked 13 for press freedom in the world and now we are down to 46 :td:


http://www.huffingto..._b_4770182.html



According to a new report from Reporters Without Borders, there was a profound erosion of press freedom in the United States in 2013.
After a year of attacks on whistleblowers and digital journalists and revelations about mass surveillance, the United States plunged 13 spots in the group's global press freedom rankings to number 46.
Reporters Without Borders writes that the U.S. faced "one of the most significant declines" in the world last year. Even the United Kingdom, whose sustained campaign to criminalize the Guardian's reporters and intimidate journalists has made headlines around the world, dropped only three spots, to number 33. The U.S. fell as many spots as Paraguay, where "the pressure on journalists to censor themselves keeps on mounting."
Citing the Justice Department's aggressive prosecution of whistleblowers, including its secret seizure of Associated Press phone records, the authors write that "freedom of information is too often sacrificed to an overly broad and abusive interpretation of national security needs, marking a disturbing retreat from democratic practices. Investigative journalism often suffers as a result."
The threats facing newsgathering in the U.S. are felt by both longstanding journalists like New York Times national security reporter James Risen, who may serve jail time for refusing to reveal a source, and non-traditional digital journalists like Barrett Brown.

The tyrant in chief demands 100% support from the lapdog press.  Isn't it amazing that they are still all in for Obama after his severe mistreatment of them?  Self-induced censorship coupled with government sponsored suppression means we are actually rated higher than we should be.

Edited by Merc14, 13 February 2014 - 04:54 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#4    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

    hi

  • Member
  • 7,771 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portsmouth

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I wish the UK had more strict press rules, nobody trusts the press here


#5    Yamato

Yamato

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,382 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

View PostMerc14, on 13 February 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

The tyrant in chief demands 100% support from the lapdog press.  Isn't it amazing that they are still all in for Obama after his severe mistreatment of them?  Self-induced censorship coupled with government sponsored suppression means we are actually rated higher than we should be.
Government sponsored suppression is the frisbee now?  

Okay, so Free Bradley Manning, right Merc?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#6    OverSword

OverSword

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 11,663 posts
  • Joined:16 Oct 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle WA USA

  • When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 13 February 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

I wish the UK had more strict press rules, nobody trusts the press here
You don't get it do you Richard.


#7    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,035 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostYamato, on 13 February 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Government sponsored suppression is the frisbee now?  

Okay, so Free Bradley Manning, right Merc?

I didn't realize Brad was a reporter, I thought he was in the military.  :unsure2:  Hey, you are getting crazier

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#8    Yamato

Yamato

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,382 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:08 AM

View PostMerc14, on 14 February 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

I didn't realize Brad was a reporter, I thought he was in the military.  :unsure2:  Hey, you are getting crazier
So you have a double standard for the military again.  I'm stunned.

Sorry to expose you as thinking that having principle is "crazy".

How the hell are you going to rely on non-military reporters and their special constitutional rights to report on government suppression in the military when they're not in the government/military to witness it?    You don't ask yourself questions like that because you don't care.   You love your preferred forms of government sponsored suppression.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#9    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,035 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostYamato, on 14 February 2014 - 04:08 AM, said:

So you have a double standard for the military again.  I'm stunned.

Sorry to expose you as thinking that having principle is "crazy".

How the hell are you going to rely on non-military reporters and their special constitutional rights to report on government suppression in the military when they're not in the government/military to witness it? You don't ask yourself questions like that because you don't care.   You love your preferred forms of government sponsored suppression.

Yeah, making an oath is pretty much the epitome of principle so yeah, I distinguish between a reporter and a soldier.  Also, a military member signs up to a different set of laws when he takes that oath, It is called the UCMJ and you sign away many of your constitutional rights when you take that oath.

I really have to ask, what in the hell are you doing?  Yes, it is fun embarrassing you, to a point, but it is getting tiresome to say the least.  This is petty basic stuff yet you didn't even bother to research it before posting your drivel.  Step up or shut up as you are wasting my time NNs. You are attacking me across multiple threads and getting a little less cogent as you go along.

Edited by Merc14, 14 February 2014 - 04:30 AM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#10    Yamato

Yamato

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,382 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostMerc14, on 14 February 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

Yeah, making an oath is pretty much the epitome of principle so yeah, I distinguish between a reporter and a soldier.  Also, a military member signs up to a different set of laws when he takes that oath, It is called the UCMJ and you sign away many of your constitutional rights when you take that oath.
They're sworn to defend the Constitution.  When does that not apply?

This is very disturbing news about the military you're bringing up.   I think that's something we should address right away in the interest of keeping this government constitutional.  I think provisions should be made where soldiers do NOT "sign away their constitutional rights" at all, if that's indeed what they do (source, please).

“So many vows … they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or another.” ~ Jaime Lannister

At best, you caught Bradley Manning getting crossed up with his vows.  

And the only vows that you care about, are the vows that you care about.   So I don't let your little detail-oriented bureaucratic excuses disturb my greater reasoning.  The limits of my thinking are not housed in your government-shaped box.

"Making an oath is the epitome of principle"?   That's absurd.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#11    Merc14

Merc14

    anti-woo magician

  • Member
  • 4,035 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Virginia, USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostYamato, on 14 February 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

They're sworn to defend the Constitution.  When does that not apply?

This is very disturbing news about the military you're bringing up.   I think that's something we should address right away in the interest of keeping this government constitutional.  I think provisions should be made where soldiers do NOT "sign away their constitutional rights" at all, if that's indeed what they do (source, please).

“So many vows … they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or another.” ~ Jaime Lannister

At best, you caught Bradley Manning getting crossed up with his vows.  

And the only vows that you care about, are the vows that you care about.   So I don't let your little detail-oriented bureaucratic excuses disturb my greater reasoning.  The limits of my thinking are not housed in your government-shaped box.

"Making an oath is the epitome of principle"?   That's absurd.

I just lost 23,450, 320  brain cells reading this and I didn't even get the chance to get high, like you, when you were writing this.  May all my enemies in life be as easy to deal with as you.

Edited by Merc14, 14 February 2014 - 04:56 AM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#12    Yamato

Yamato

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,382 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostMerc14, on 14 February 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

I just lost 23,450, 320  brain cells reading this and I didn't even get the chance to get high, like you, when you were writing this.  May all my enemies in life be as easy to deal with as you.
How is having a single standard both for the government and the people easy for you to deal with?   I think that presents an enormous challenge for you that you don't even recognize.  You just showed no interest whatsoever in whether soldiers have Constitutional rights or if they should.  I think I've exposed you again, unfortunately.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#13    TheSpoon

TheSpoon

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Joined:24 Aug 2013

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:44 AM

View PostMerc14, on 14 February 2014 - 04:55 AM, said:

I just lost 23,450, 320  brain cells reading this and I didn't even get the chance to get high, like you, when you were writing this.  May all my enemies in life be as easy to deal with as you.

Couple more of these and a rabbit will eat ya huehuehue


#14    Drayno

Drayno

    Reverend Dudemeister

  • Member
  • 3,651 posts
  • Joined:18 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

A free, informed press means critical thinking.

Critical thinking means no mental slavery.

No mental slavery means they can't control you.

If they can't control you, then they won't be able to get away with an excessive, overly-gross wealthy lifestyle paid by you, the subservient menial worker.

Hey, don't like my opinions? I can respect that. Just realize guns allow you to have that opinion without being labeled as mentally insane for questioning the state.

Political abuse of psychiatry in the USSR: http://en.wikipedia....he_Soviet_Union

#15    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 28,539 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostYamato, on 14 February 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:


They're sworn to defend the Constitution.  When does that not apply?

This is very disturbing news about the military you're bringing up.   I think that's something we should address right away in the interest of keeping this government constitutional.  I think provisions should be made where soldiers do NOT "sign away their constitutional rights" at all, if that's indeed what they do (source, please).

    “So many vows … they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It’s too much. No matter what you do, you’re forsaking one vow or another.” ~ Jaime Lannister

At best, you caught Bradley Manning getting crossed up with his vows.  

And the only vows that you care about, are the vows that you care about.   So I don't let your little detail-oriented bureaucratic excuses disturb my greater reasoning.  The limits of my thinking are not housed in your government-shaped box.

"Making an oath is the epitome of principle"?   That's absurd.

Maybe, that is why Christ said don't swear on anything.

The press military or not is suppose to keep the government in check.  It cant do this if the government suppress it.  But reporting on stuff that is top secret or higher carries a two egde sword.  Meaning if you report on it you might get troops killed.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you. http://fremerica.freeforums.net/




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users