Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mars rover Opportunity mystery rock solved

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

It appears that the rover drove over a larger rock, broke it to pieces and sent a piece rolling down slope. This was later seen as the 'mystery rock' dubbed Pinnacle Island. It has a hollow raspberry-red center and a white outer crust. The rock it seems to have come from, has the same unusual white color. NASA article, with photograph of the entire area concerned linked below.

http://solarsystem.n...m?News_ID=46531

Edited by bison, 15 February 2014 - 12:33 AM.

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,038 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

weak.  I don't buy it.  It was aliens man.  They are playing pranks on our rovers for sure.

#3    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,404 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

Que ` THere Out there man !

This is a Work in Progress!

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,572 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Well thats that then!

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well that was anti climactic

#6    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• 1,358 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Something which cannot be proven/unproven because no one witnessed it, but it's even more valid than an alien drop the rock there

#7    alfonso

alfonso

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

• a bet you a barstad to a barn dance am right!

believe in what you see .. not what your told

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

yeah of course its just a rock ??..because its just like all the other silver rocks you can see there

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 15 February 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Something which cannot be proven/unproven because no one witnessed it,

Nonsense. If proof always required witnesses then the vast majority of science (and court cases for that matter) would fail.

If there is a larger rock of the same composition, that was imaged before the rover drove over it and was unbroken, is now broken and if the "mystery" rock can be shown to have come from that rock then anyone capable of even the most basic logical deduction will not have needed to witness the event to know that it happened.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    wingyflam

wingyflam

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Where,s a photo of the other rock then.

#10    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,209 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

The other piece of the rock, from which Pinnacle Island is thought to have been broken off, is shown, and pointed out with an arrow. It can be seen in the rover photograph in the NASA article linked in the OP. It has a white crust, just like the 'mystery rock', something which is otherwise quite unusual on Mars, especially in the terrain the Opportunity rover is in at this time. The visible tracks of the rover make it clear that it rolled over the other rock. Both this rock and Pinnacle Island have a jagged appearance, indicating they were broken.

Edited by bison, 15 February 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#11    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,820 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

And so the logical deductions made minutes after the rock was originally announced turn out to be true. The most logical explaination usually is the correct one. They just needed to move the rover to look at what it had turned on top of.

Edited by DieChecker, 15 February 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,572 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 15 February 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

And so the logical deductions made minutes after the rock was originally announced turn out to be true. The most logical explaination usually is the correct one. They just needed to move the rover to look at what it had turned on top of.

Exactly right, and folks need to remember, it takes TIME to get that old rover, with a bust wheel, to do things, like make turns and survey its area. NASA as usual have done everything right, while Mr Joseph who is trying to sue them for not analysing the- as he said - 'growing object' now has some egg on his face I imagine

:lol:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#13    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

It looks like the rover lost a couple of lug nuts.
Lugnut
Uploaded 15 Feb 2014 - 17:37

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hey, I saw Transformers. All they have to do is show the rest of the picture and you'll see.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#15    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Someone had to say it..

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users