Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Proposed underwater hotel, Great Barrier Reef

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

It could provide the ultimate room with a view, but Cairns mayor Bob Manning says an underwater hotel in the Great Barrier Reef is unlikely to be built for “hundreds of years” due to the environmental risk.
European company Deep Ocean Technologies set tongues wagging at a marine conference in Sydney last Friday when it flagged interest in building a “Water Discus Hotel” in the Barrier Reef.

Five legs would secure the hotel to the seabed, and two giant discs would house luxury 21 hotel rooms under the water.

Read more: http://www.brisbanet...l#ixzz2tO6MmM7t

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#2    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Bioshock

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,891 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Seabed & Breakfast?  My trunks are packed!  (apologies for boasting)

Edited by Eldorado, 15 February 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,402 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

Keep the GBR clean, eat a tourist!

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#5    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

As much as I love what our planet has to offer, and would love to see certain fragile places up close and personal, more and more I wonder if the ultimate EcoTourism "trip"  to some places shouldn't be done via the television.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 15 February 2014 - 03:17 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

It's a bloody stupid idea, and given the dropkick running Queensland and the other numpty in Canberra it's bound to happen.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,282 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

It's a bloody stupid idea, and given the dropkick running Queensland and the other numpty in Canberra it's bound to happen.

Can't see it happening, they can't even get the cruise ship terminal up and running. We get "Save Our Spit" and yet we built the damn thing!!!

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    Astra.

Astra.

Xanadu

• 3,763 posts

• We are in the cosmos - and the cosmos are in us.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 26 February 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Can't see it happening, they can't even get the cruise ship terminal up and running. We get "Save Our Spit" and yet we built the damn thing!!!
Agree, how ironic AND typical.

Posted Image

#9    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

That was my initial reaction also.  On the other hand, keeping the reef in pristine environmental balance would become a more immediate commercial concern, so it could end up doing some good - who wants a view of bleached white dead barren coral?

The proviso is in how they go about putting the Hotel out there - dredging and blasting etc would have to be completely out of the question.  If the technology allows them to place it with no harm to the eco-system - pre-built modules floated carefully into place and weighed down via narrow pilons that minimise impact (or something like that, I'm not an engineer).

The next biggest hurdle is how they handle sewage, power supply and transportation to and from while respecting the eco-system.

Edited by libstaK, 26 February 2014 - 12:27 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#10    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

They should probably just pick some place with reasonably good sea floor and clear water, yet not protected and just build a reef and "natural" attractions... In time the critters and plantlife
will move in without needing reseeding and you've "done a good thing" AND made money...

#11    outoftheworld

outoftheworld

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

you do realise there already is one underwater hotel that has been in service for decades

this looks way more exciting than any crappy commercial modern place

check this out in awe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users