Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Internet Troll Personality Study

internet trolls

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,624 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

http://www.slate.com...sychopathy.html

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,808 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

In other breaking news, the question of papal Catholicism has been stunningly answered in the affirmative and the exact scatelogical depoistorial locale used by Bears has been identified as being a heavily wooded area.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

HAHAHAAAA!!

#4    scorpiosonic

scorpiosonic

Still Skeptical

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

:D :lol: :D

ROFL.........

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,442 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, kind of a 'no-brainer' really.

Oh, I guess trolls can be oddly amusing.  But...when you have to officially deal with them...not so much.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,509 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

Better online than for real I guess.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,992 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

I see lots of trolling in multiplayer games. It's amazing how much you see it occurring. I'm not sure if all of them though would be classed as having these personality traits though because it seems a certain age group does it more than other age groups. So the younger ages of 10ish arnt so outspoken and rude but between ruffly 12-20 yr olds can be pretty horrible characters. But I think that's a part of why its occurring, they are playing a character.

What I think is happening though is the younger players are learning from the older players. So when the younger player gets called names for being younger(like squeakers)and have trolling things happening to them, they then have learned this type of behaviour from a 'role model' and think that's how you act online. So it continues and is almost like bullying. The one bullied turns into the bully.

I don't understand people who troll on chatting websites though. I mainly read when online, especially the news and what people are talking about it. I see the trolls quite often posting away and because their age seems to be older, I think they are the ones more defined by this type of study. I think the worst ones though are the ones that hide/lie and manipulate others over time into believing a certain type of character they are playing. I think those ones are the true sociopaths("dark tetrad" types)and like White Crane said.... I suppose its better to have to deal with them online than for real. Problem is though, online now is pretty much the new 'real'.

So they can tarnish you when people want to find information about you for example. And that's what those types of personalities enjoy.

#8    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

I think trolls who are just funny and entertaining are cool.

But the ones who are annoying or insult people to much are not cool.

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#9    Shego

Shego

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• "And I'm alive
    I'm God's favorite
    And I'm an angel
    The purest you've ever met"
    - Jyrki 69 (bit me 10/6/09)

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:20 AM

Trolls can be fun.

Posted Image

I want a guy with a rich boy standards
Handsome, has it, want it , have it

#10    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostLilly, on 15 February 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Yeah, kind of a 'no-brainer' really.

Oh, I guess trolls can be oddly amusing.  But...when you have to officially deal with them...not so much.

Not terribly hard to deal with, just ban them and let someone else deal with them.

Though, I am curious how they managed to get trolls to confess they were trolls and answer questions for the purpose of the study?

Edited by keninsc, 17 February 2014 - 05:26 AM.

#11    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,442 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 17 February 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Not terribly hard to deal with, just ban them and let someone else deal with them.

The difficult part is figuring out if someone is actually trolling, or just doesn't understand how to conform to basic rules of civility. Trolls are also rather like Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary"...they tend to comeback from the dead (with other identities).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#12    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostLilly, on 17 February 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

The difficult part is figuring out if someone is actually trolling, or just doesn't understand how to conform to basic rules of civility. Trolls are also rather like Stephen King's "Pet Cemetary"...they tend to comeback from the dead (with other identities).

True, sort of like a recurring Zombie Apocalypse.

(we need a zombie emoticon)

#13    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Just people on the internet trying to be funny. On a website called powerbot i obtained a reputation as one of the biggest trolls on that site when in reality i was just being myself. I guess i came of as a "troll" due to my ability to argue with people.

#14    Estimated Prophet

Estimated Prophet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• Imagine the real and realize the imagined

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

This topic was featured in a few episodes of Season 2 of "The Newsroom" (HBO).

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,509 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostLilly, on 17 February 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yes... I can think of one particular poster that always manages to insult people he try's to debate with. it used to bug me to no end, but I have met children like this. It's usually always the case that they have an older sibling that they are constantly fighting with and constantly belittling. They are together everyday and it becomes simply how they relate to each other. They then relate to others the same way. It looks like the person is just being a prick, but in reality this person knows no different but to be in constant "competition" with others. It simply becomes a habit of their personality. I have noticed that people slightly on the spectrum are more susceptible to having their verbal guard and daggers up all the time. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt now... Though its hard. I don't like bullying.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

Also tagged with internet trolls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users