Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 3 votes

What do you all think of the Ouija Board ?

ouija board spiritual ghosts

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,636 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostBeany, on 17 February 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

I just can't take seriously what's advertised as a game that's mass-produced by Hasbro somewhere in New Jersey. My friends and I played with it as kids and besides deliciously spooking ourselves out, nothing ever happened. We were prepared to be scared, but since nothing even remotely scary occurred, we got tired of it and went back to playing cards and riding our bikes.
When I did it, we just had a cardboard piece cut from a box, and the ear piece of an old telephone. I don't think I've ever seen a mass produced version of it. As far as board games go, though, I'd prefer Risk :P

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#17    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,858 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

To those who say 'stuff' couldn't just be by chance or coincidence, I'm afraid I must advise caution with such dismissals of the mundane, especially when you don't even give a thought to just how probability + psychology works.  I'll just pose a few questions that I would suggest you think *hard* about...

1. How many Ouija boards are out there?
2. How often are any 'positive' predictions/events reported?
3. How often are negatives or 'failures' reported?
4. What are the motivations for 2. and 3. and how are you factoring that into your dismissal/probability calculations?
5. Have you (or your friends/family) never embellished a story over the years?  Have all your stories stayed exactly the same, or do they get just a little better as the years go by?
6. Are you 100% sure that every memory you have, every story you tell, is exactly accurate, and that your brain has perfect recollections even after many years?

If your answer to 6. is yes, you are kidding yourself, and really need to research this topic.  Perhaps start with a quick look here, and similar works by Loftus and others.  Frankly, human beings are *horrible* at perceiving/remembering events accurately.

And in regard to 5 and 6 does that mean you (or your partner or grandparent or whomever) is a liar?  It really annoys me when people use the false dichotomy routine, eg - "So, you say my story isn't 100% true and you are calling me a LIAR????"  It's not about being liars, it's about selective reporting, human perceptions and psychology.

As a rather pitiful example of the selective reporting issue, over the years I've flown many, many times on commercial jets.  I vividly remember on at least two occasions before a flight I dreamt that the plane crashed....  The first time it happened, it was a flight that I needed to take to go to a rather important job interview, and me not being into the paranormal, I took it anyway.  No incident and I got the job... Same lack of crash the second time and ever since.  Now how many times might people dream about plane crashes before a flight..?  How many times do you think you will hear about all the times when nothing happens?  But do you reckon you will hear about it when by normal chance it *does* and somehow the person reports their 'premonition'?  Of course you will.

So (in case it wasn't obvious) in my opinion the Ouija board is a silly toy that, in a way, preys on people's beliefs.  By its very design, only one person engaging in its use has to have a small glint in their eye.. and indeed, they may not even recognise what they are doing subconsciously...

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#18    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

We tried it as kids many times, but someone always ended up pushing it this way or that and then the accusations "You're moving it" and such would bust out and the game would end with pouts and "I'm going home".
Never any fun, imo. Not even creepy.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 February 2014 - 08:05 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#19    No-thingBornPassion

No-thingBornPassion

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

View PostLostSouls7, on 17 February 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

What do you think of the Ouija Board and why ?
My dearest friend and I played it once about 30 years ago (we weren't in our teen nor preteen), and never again. Yes, it moved by itself (with a purpose)...

Edited by No-thingBornPassion, 17 February 2014 - 10:35 AM.

(Christian) Gnosticism also has the Holy Spirit, Christ(os), Jesus, LOVE...and God.

#20    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostLostSouls7, on 17 February 2014 - 04:25 AM, said:

What do you all think of Ouija Boards? Do you think it's a spiritual tool or just a game where people talk to themselves.

The few people I know who go it to work said they got haunted and had the predictions of the board come true.
It could've all been by chance or maybe there is more to it.

What do you think of the Ouija Board and why ?

I think it's just a normal board that only has as much power as the user chooses it to have. If I'm right, then my question becomes 'do you think there is a tangible power to invoking intent, and what do you think of using symbols or rituals in honing intent to produce outcomes'?

I've seen some seemingly magical properties to the power of intent in honed positive thinking and mindset to goals, so I am leaning strongly towards the possibility that there is something real to the power of harnessed intent, and that a Ouija board can be an effective tool, as can anything really.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#21    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostInsaniac, on 17 February 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

predicting an event.

is strong terminology anyway for answers spanning different forms of only yes, no, or "ask again later".

#22    Copen

Copen

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

Since the Bible says it is forbidden to practice witchcraft, or to use a medium to communicate with the spirit world any way other than prayer to the Father through Jesus, and people get responses, this is not from anything good.  

Sometimes a little playing with something like that can seem harmless since nothing happened other than the wooden piece moving around to answer simple questions; but there is a spirit world we should be aware of it and understand demon possession does happen.

A divining rod to seek for water is another example of something that seems harmless but is a dangerous first step.
God bless

#23    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

As humans, we look for confirmatory events or evidence to support our suppositions. This is a useful survival trait, but can also be misleading. For example, if you believe in the occult, then you will likely look for evidence that supports the notion that the occult exists. This can become an "ism," as in occultism, when you seek others to further support your supposition. My advice, avoid the ouija board as you have already expressed concern as to its negative characteristics. Why harm yourself?

#24    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,570 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

I think through the idometer effect and connecting to deep levels of your subconscious, the ouji can connect with deeper levels of reality. The game itself is just a board. You can the same effects with a pendullum or automatic writing.

The key here is to understand that the characters that come through if not completely fabricated are a bit like dream characters. Some are terribly dark and manifestations of your jungian shadow while others are not. If you believe in a metaphysical reality, it is through these layers that you connect with other beings, so yeah I think it's possible.

I think it's a mistake to attach evil to it. This is simply the typical fear mongering attached to anything that involves personal exploration of the deeper levels of reality weather metaphysical or psychological.

In some sense it has a reality though human beings are indeed terribly dark and fearful. Our animal instincts must be for our survival and we hide from this side of ourselves rather than acknowledging it. Any exploration of self will necessarily bubble this up and you will be forced to confront it.  The dark experience of the game iI think are a reflection of this. I would caution somone using a ouiji seriously that dark things are a necessary layer of digging, but this true with other things as well.

kids messing around with it are in no danger. It is like anything else. It is what you make of it.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 17 February 2014 - 06:06 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,326 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 17 February 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

I think through the idometer effect and connecting to deep levels of your subconscious, the ouji can connect with deeper levels of reality. The game itself is just a board. You can the same effects with a pendullum or automatic writing.

The key here is to understand that the characters that come through if not completely fabricated are a bit like dream characters. Some are terribly dark and manifestations of your jungian shadow while others are not. If you believe in a metaphysical reality, it is through these layers that you connect with other beings, so yeah I think it's possible.

I think the problem is that this is (usually) a multiple person activity. So, if you have one person who expresses a very negative response, all are going to affected negatively. It can allow not just one person to move their thoughts to a different level, but allow that person to move the thoughts of others, which IMHO is dangerous.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,105 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostInsaniac, on 17 February 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

Revealing the future =/= predicting an event.
Revealing the future? Doubt it

#27    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,524 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:04 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 17 February 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

while mum's experience was with a malevolent spirit who really did curse the marriage.

Why do you come to this conclusion? Couldn't it be that the 'spirit' was foreseeing the future?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#28    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

View Postouija ouija, on 18 February 2014 - 03:04 AM, said:

Why do you come to this conclusion? Couldn't it be that the 'spirit' was foreseeing the future?

Holy crap, this Ouija can type!

#29    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,524 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

View Post_Only, on 18 February 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

Holy crap, this Ouija can type!

I decided I should move with the times as so many people were discrediting The Board as a 'game'.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#30    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,299 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:32 AM

My brother used to make his own ouija board by drawing letters on the sidewalk and using a roll of tape as the cursor, or whatever its called. I had no idea what he was doing at the time, I was just a kid and never heard of the ouija board. He also used to draw pictures of strange creatures all the time, and at that time I had no idea that that was also spiritual. I haven't talked to him about his spiritual experiences but he spent at least 10 years homeless and has some really strange friends, like guys with tattoos on their faces and missing ears and stuff like that, I (strongly) assume also the drug life. I'm not saying its because of the ouija board. But I do think it was part of the all encompassing dynamic of what was going on with him. Another kid I know just started getting into the ouija board, she already has been having problems with insomnia and trips to the mental hospital.... :-/

OH and another kid (a close friend of my god-niece) was communicating with a demon and it got attached to her and she was calling it her God, it was started being visible to her and following her everywhere she went, my niece was able to get rid of it for her, and that is the last I heard about it, hopefully she is still ok. They didn't tell me anything about the Ouija board being used, but obviously she was communicating with it.

Edited by SpiritWriter, 18 February 2014 - 03:40 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

Also tagged with ouija board, spiritual, ghosts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users