Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

[Merged] Ghost caught on film?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

The address of the pub is 6-8 Churchgate,Bolton,Lancashire BL1 1HL

#17    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 18 February 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

I have a few theories on this case.

A) Ambulance/Police lights, This can causes shadows and random movement a long the wall.

B). Constant over taping the tape, The blinking and imagines are over lapping video footage, There been a few cases where the timer has had two numbers in it. Look at frame 15 and frame 27.

Emergency lights - that was my first thought as well.  It would be interesting to see where the camera is in relation to the windows.

Edited by Rafterman, 18 February 2014 - 04:44 PM.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

I found a comment on another website by someone who claims to be the ex-landlord of this pub and who said that the pub tends to get haunted whenever business is slack.  Can't speak to the truth of that statement.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

View PostJesseCuster, on 18 February 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

I found a comment on another website by someone who claims to be the ex-landlord of this pub and who said that the pub tends to get haunted whenever business is slack.  Can't speak to the truth of that statement.

Isn't that always the case?  I wouldn't be surprised if some of these papers charge for stories like this.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#20    fran123

fran123

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

After watching the clip yes, there could be a ghost in the footage, there is definately something there, but there is maybe a more simple and natural explanation for the flickering lights.  Nearly every pub has gaming/gambling machines which have lights that constantly change and flicker, even when not being played. If a machine had not been switched off then that could be the reason for the lights. It would be interesting to know if the pub does have such a machine and if it had not been switched off on the night in question.

#21    Astra00

Astra00

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

• You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

It seems that old pubs are a favorite hang out for ghosts and other things that go "bump"" in the middle of the night.
It would certainly bring in the local inquisitive patrons........... and lets not forget the tourist buses.
Nothing like an old fashioned pub meal, a cold beer and a ghost to boot for a fun night out. :tsu:

~ Never let anyone define who you are ~

#22    pinupgirl

pinupgirl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

To me it looks fake,but who knows....

#23    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

That's Cool footage there.

#24    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

It`s quite simple. The crop-circle pranksters switched to indoor activities due to bad weather conditions
in England these days.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#25    Gauche

Gauche

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

It looks fake to me.   At best,  I'd say it is some sort of optical illusion.

#26    Twinkle Arora is back

Twinkle Arora is back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 202 posts

• Mythical Awareness

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

I think it's pretty difficult to prove anything paranormal at this point even if it's real, as scientifically speaking it's not dis-proven, because of the fact that vfx exists and eye witnesses can also be discredited or doubted.

#27    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,385 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

Too hard to make anything definitive about this at all.

As has already been said, outside moving lights can often cause inside moving shadows.

And the CCTV overtaping(loop taping) as Brian suggested, is a strong authentication problem.

#28    SiliRat

SiliRat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

I do not believe that the flickering lights themselves are supposed to be what we are looking at.

A) Over the bar in the back is an area which can be seen to be empty at some points, but what appears to be a human form passes by it once or twice, and at another point it appears that a person is standing there (as the form of a head and shoulders can briefly be seen.

B) When the form is not visible at the far end of the bar, the shadow of what appears to be a person pacing back and forth can be seen on the wall (where all the photos are).

The flashes of light could definitely be a machine of some sort, or maybe cars going by with their lights shining it. Hard to say, because some of the lights appear to be on the opposite side of the bar (out of frame on the left, and responsible for the lights showing up on the right hand wall) and there also appears to be a second light positioned behind the camera (which can be seen brightening the bottles and glasses on the bar.) It's an odd configuration of lighting, but nothing which couldn't be explained.

All of that being said though, the time stamp looks very fishy. Why do the hundred of a second never appear to go about .29? It goes from '00' to around '29' before the second changes. That should be getting all the way to 100. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the camera only records 1/5th of every second to preserve storage space?  

In summary, it's interesting, but very easily fake-able. And faking this would be a lot cheaper than taking out ads in the paper or putting them on the telly.

SiliRat

#29    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's not necessarily "fake" but all of the likely causes pointed out here seem pretty reasonable. I haven't had a chance to look at it closely but the light over the door doesn't flicker and the light source looks like it's coming through a window. Could the human image(s) that appear at the end of the bar be 'burned' in on the tape since it's been recorded over so many times? I would imagine that is an area, during business hours, that has someone standing there a lot and under a brighter light.

#30    Shayde

Shayde

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

It does look like it's no more than an effect caused by whatever the lights were.  Is this pub on a road? This might be no more than say a Highways vehicle - flashing its amber lights - making the effect happen.

In any case, good footage, no matter what it may show!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users