Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant isopod dies after 5-year hunger strike

UM-Bot

The huge deep sea crustacean was kept at a Japanese aquarium and hadn't eaten for 1,869 days.

The peculiar creature sprung to fame after footage of it appeared online and the story of its sudden refusal to eat went viral. One of nine giant isopods kept at Japan\'s Toba Aquarium, the last thing it was thought to have eaten was some fish back on January 2nd 2009.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/262511/giant-isopod-dies-after-5-year-hunger-strike

That's sad... Isopods are super cool... :)

Maybe it was homesick?

• Like 1

Bloody hell, introduce it to the modern world and it gets self conscious and become anorexic...

• Like 3

Those b*******! Why couldn't they give in to his demands and thus end his hunger strike?

All he wanted was a little time outside the glass box.

You know, have some fries, maybe take in a movie or something once a month.

But noooo! They let him die.

Harte

• Like 1

It's sad that we were unable to feed it.

You'd think within that five years they'd manage to find out how.

Why stop eating? Perhaps it knew its time grew near... ;-;

• Like 1

Sorrry, but NO creature can survive 5-years without food.

The article is misleading. If I remember correctly, that isopod, though not wanting it's native food source, the tank water was infused with nutrients specific to that isopod, which only worked for 5-years.

• Like 1

Sorrry, but NO creature can survive 5-years without food.

Actually, some animals can live for far longer than 5 years without food if they enter a dormant state. Tardigrades, for example, can perform "cryptobiosis", where they dry themselves out and can last for decades, if not centuries, without food or water.

• Like 1

Actually, some animals can live for far longer than 5 years without food if they enter a dormant state. Tardigrades, for example, can perform "cryptobiosis", where they dry themselves out and can last for decades, if not centuries, without food or water.

You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature.

Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5 more years.

Wish I had the link. Sorry.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

You're right, my bad. I should have said no active creature.

Again, though, as I recall from reading somewhere a while ago, that specific isopod would no longer eat it's native food source, whatever that is, so they infused the tank water with nutrients, which kept it alive for 5-years.

Wish I had the link. Sorry.

Yeah I wasn't saying you were wrong about the isopod, I just got the sudden urge to be a smart***.

• Like 1

I hear you. I do that myself from time-to-time; for myself especially after a beer or 2 :w00t:

Still, you gave good info, thanks.

• Like 2

Horrible creature, looks like it's taken out of a horror movie. I can't help feel itchy and scratch myself all over when I see it.

But it's to bad that he died though. Could be many different things that held him from eating. He might not function that well when he is out of the water pressure he is used to at the bottom, or the light he gets. Down there it's pitch dark, and it might have screwed with his senses or something, who knows.

Here is a face only a mother could love.

Bathynomus_giganteus.jpg

they should have released it.