Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

C*O*P*S

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Resh

Resh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Ok so im watching the show COPS for the thousandth time and Im eating and smoking and I suddenly realize that all this footage is more hardcore than the news. The violence, everything about the show is negative (apart from making the cops like heroes). I know we all have a deep and sometimes unknown, vicarious need towards seeing this sort of things. But the images and verbs that are aroused in so many minds of all its viewers.

So Im thinking it should be cut off the air permanently. You can scream freedom of speech, but how far can cancer spread before you realize its there?

What do you think?

Whatchu gonna do?

Edited by Black Magic, 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

.                                                                   Posted Image

#2    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

I think there are a TON of shows that should be taken off the air, nearly all the reality shows, there just rubbish. But then again there is that freedom of speech like you said but if no one is watching these shows then they would have to be taken off the air

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,494 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

People love gratuitous violence so that is why we have such shows like COPS on the air.
Unless our collective attitude is changed, these shows will always be there.

Fortunately we have the power right in our hands, it's called the "remote" and it has a button for changing channels and even one to turn it off too.

The fewer viewers shows like this has, the better the chances shows like that will fade into obscurity.

#4    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

I would keep it on air, at some level it probably serves as some kind of deterrent.

#5    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,977 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

I don't think they show the worst.  Like a cop beating a homeless man to death.  You have to watch stuff like that on Youtube.

#6    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

I like it, Americans act dumb in that

#7    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

don't watch it then geesh lol

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#8    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

I've always liked how they (some of the cops) treat the clearly mentally ill on that show. I mean, do you really think yelling at a drug addict and making them feel like garbage is going to help them quit? Let's just send them to jail so they can sober up there instead. Great reasoning. Not saying all of them are like that, but it happens more often than not.

Example: cop; "you'll never get anywhere in life if you keep doing these drugs." Addict; "yeah I know, but I don't want to be like this." Cop; "well tonight you're going to jail, maybe that'll help you."
Really, that's the best we can do?

Edited by andy4, 17 February 2014 - 10:33 PM.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#9    Resh

Resh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Yeah Ive also seen cops acting on their best behavior and of course its good help to
the people they arrest who probably need someone to scold them.

Society may like to watch this for whatever reason; weird culture, some primal calling to live
these experiences perhaps in the safety of our homes.
But take the news for example, they sell fear and death all day every day with a calm tone,
and they try to show it passively now due to regulations, but most of the footage they show
in COPS is like a montage of extreme cases.

Say people break through their instincts and tunnel vision for one day and really analyze: "Do I really want to see this? Do I really
want to absorb all of this garbage?" Just today I was reading a book on psychology, the human mind is
very easily influenced, manipulated, shocked, etc.
Leaving the individual behind and focusing on the collective, do we need our culture and societies to feed their minds with all this poop?

.                                                                   Posted Image

#10    Resh

Resh

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

#11    quiXilver

quiXilver

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I got rid of broadcast television/cable/dish about two years ago.
I was tired of policing the violent commercials for the violent shows that were playing when the violent shows weren't on.

We still have tv, but only for movies so my son doesn't have to deal with seeing any of that random bull****.

Unknowingly, we plow the dust of stars, blown about us by the wind and drink the universe in a glass of rain. ~ Ihab Hassan
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.  To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ~R. Buckminster Fuller
Just because you thought it, or felt it deeply, doesn't make it real, true or important.  Don't believe everything you think... ~ Creighton Larson
Everything you Love and Everything you Hate, come from the Same Source:  ~Creighton Larson

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

Cops disgusts me.  It seems like a tool to condition you to have your right violated.

#13    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:36 AM

View PostBlack Magic, on 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

Ok so im watching the show COPS for the thousandth time and Im eating and smoking and I suddenly realize that all this footage is more hardcore than the news. The violence, everything about the show is negative (apart from making the cops like heroes). I know we all have a deep and sometimes unknown, vicarious need towards seeing this sort of things. But the images and verbs that are aroused in so many minds of all its viewers.

So Im thinking it should be cut off the air permanently. You can scream freedom of speech, but how far can cancer spread before you realize its there?

What do you think?

Whatchu gonna do?

Not being an American, I watched "COPS" for the first and only time a couple of years ago and i seriously thought it was a parody show. I remember thinking, "no society would let these meat heads enforce the law so heavy-handedly". But after a few minutes it became apparent that the jokes weren't coming and the meat heads tackling minorities were actually police officers

View PostOverSword, on 18 February 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:

Cops disgusts me.  It seems like a tool to condition you to have your right violated.

Now this makes sense

Edited by Professor Buzzkill, 18 February 2014 - 12:40 AM.

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I'll keep my cops like this, thank you very much.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#15    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 4,026 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 18 February 2014 - 12:36 AM, said:

Not being an American, I watched "COPS" for the first and only time a couple of years ago and i seriously thought it was a parody show. I remember thinking, "no society would let these meat heads enforce the law so heavy-handedly". But after a few minutes it became apparent that the jokes weren't coming and the meat heads tackling minorities were actually police officers

Yeah that's why I watch it sometimes when I notice its on t.v. I'm fascinated how the officers can be so heavy handed and then justify it to the camera. I almost never think that the criminal is the 'bad guy' but the show is really trying to tell me this. So I find it very strange to watch because I imagine many people would be watching as if 'look at this baddie' meanwhile the police have just rammed his face into the ground after he stops and places his hands up to surrender.

So I watch to see how the officers deal with people and I'm surprised they generally seem pleased about their methods.

View PostBlack Magic, on 17 February 2014 - 11:20 PM, said:

Leaving the individual behind and focusing on the collective, do we need our culture and societies to feed their minds with all this poop?

Good question. I wonder that myself when I read certain news sometimes. I also think other shows like Law and Order(and the many copies/styles of that show) are strangely being shoved down our throats for our viewing 'pleasure'. I find it quite bizarre that our society is being hammered with these types of programs. Perhaps in future we will look back at it as a strange period of time while hopefully viewing more meaningful programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users