Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

20 Earthquakes hit Oaklahoma in one day

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

http://www.dailymail...ma-one-day.html

Residents of Oklahoma were left feeling rattled over the weekend after a strong of some 20 earthquakes as powerful as 3.5 magnitude rocked the central part of the state on Saturday alone.

Unfortunately, scientists don't yet have an answer.

One possibility is geological.

'We have a lot of pre-existing faults in Oklahoma,' seismologist Austin Holland told KOCO.
However, with little history of seismic activity in the area, it's unclear why the quakes would become so
frequent now.

Another potential cause is the change in water levels at nearby LIberty Lake, where a swarm of the earthquakes were centered Saturday.

The controversial hydraulic fracturing or 'fracking' method pumping millions of gallons of water, sand and chemicals into fractures in the Earth.

Odd you don't hear much about earthquakes in the middle of the US.

Edited by Socio, 18 February 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,355 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

I live about 45 miles south of the epicenter(s)... and didn't feel a thing...  We've had minor tremors like this for as long as I can remember here, but it is odd having so many
so close togther....

#3    dice401

dice401

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Crazy! I would have to point my finger at the fracking though. The consequences of that are mind blowing... but the Gov't doesn't care so much about the environment as it does about getting the precious oil and natural gas.

#4    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,970 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

View Postdice401, on 18 February 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

Crazy! I would have to point my finger at the fracking though. The consequences of that are mind blowing... but the Gov't doesn't care so much about the environment as it does about getting the precious oil and natural gas.
I suspect you're right, but there is only enough data to implicate one well - the Lone Star Well near Jones.  That is an injection well where they dispose of waste salt water.

There is a simple solution to the problem - quit using the wells that cause quakes!  But that requires a governmental agency with the authority to order a well capped or sealed.  And the oil industry doesn't want to open the door to regulation - so they buy off the politicians.  Since Citizens United, bribery has been legal in the US.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#5    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Oklahoma isn't without fault lines.

Posted Image
Just throwing this out there.

Edited by DumpsterJesus, 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM.

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#6    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,329 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

View Postdice401, on 18 February 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

I think it was in Mother Jones a few issues back that they did an article about the seismic results from fracking and deep well injection in Oklahoma.  An interesting story, but nothing one would see on NBC.

#7    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,970 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostDumpsterJesus, on 18 February 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Oklahoma isn't without fault lines.

Just throwing this out there.
Practically everyplace has faults.  Just some have more than others.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,249 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

We had similar unusual, multiple tremors a few years ago when my city hosted the World Convention for Recovering Alcoholics.  Maybe it's in Oklahoma this year.

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,697 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

Look at this and tell me, is there a correlation between these 20 "unexplained" earthquakes and fracking in OK?

Oklahoma Fracking Map

Posted ImagePlease note that the most dense areas of fracking are precisely where the earthquake cluster hit.  Scientists miffed indeed <_<

Edited by OverSword, 19 February 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#10    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

View PostTaun, on 18 February 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

I live about 45 miles south of the epicenter(s)... and didn't feel a thing...  We've had minor tremors like this for as long as I can remember here, but it is odd having so many
so close togther....

Not unusual from a geological sense. Earthquake swarms happen often enough for people who experience them to know what they are and what to expect. It's fairly obvious that fracking cause or is a part of the cause of these earthquakes either directly by the fracking itself or accidentally activating one of the faultlines underneath Oklahoma which are probably inactive.

What the state government should do is study them and see if they have been active in the past, try to figure out how often rupture events occur and how powerful they are. That way, they can plan ahead if something occurs that's bigger than a 3.5 (which is tiny). And I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't feel anything although flat land is more conducive for the shock waves to be felt further. They're probably of a magnitude that can only be felt with in a radius maybe about five or so miles from the epicenter.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#11    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostDoug1o29, on 18 February 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

Practically everyplace has faults.  Just some have more than others.
Doug

A fault needs to be "active" in order to produce quakes i.e needs to build up and release enough pressure to generate the shockwaves that classify as an earthquake. Active faults mean more quakes.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#12    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,355 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

MordorOrc... is that your kid in your avatar pic?... He does not look happy at all!

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

View PostOverSword, on 19 February 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:

Look at this and tell me, is there a correlation between these 20 "unexplained" earthquakes and fracking in OK?

Oklahoma Fracking Map

Posted ImagePlease note that the most dense areas of fracking are precisely where the earthquake cluster hit.  Scientists miffed indeed <_<
It's hard to find a place on that map that doesn't have a well nearby - there are something like 270,000 of them in Oklahoma.  The faults (and most of the quakes) tend to be scattered from Jones south and west.  Oklahoma is situated in part of a failed triple-junction with the Rio Grande Rift.  Some of these quakes may have something to do with a reactivation of that.  And/or the drilling is awakening faults that haven't built up enough pressure to slip naturally.  Most of the quakes have been small, as would be expected from drilling-associated quakes.  The largest was 5.6 and we definitely felt that one.  Most just make you wonder what the Physical Plant did this time.
Doug

#14    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 207 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

View PostTaun, on 19 February 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

MordorOrc... is that your kid in your avatar pic?... He does not look happy at all!

No. Random pic from the 'net.

Vladimir Putin

#15    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

Drilling. a.k.a. fracking is theoretically connected to earthquakes, since OK is a state known for fracking in areas known for oil and gas production. Pressure from fracking on or near faults can generate new seismic events. What you get are Man-made earthquakes in fault lines not known for historic activity.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users