Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Scientists grow working human lungs in a lab

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

In a world first, a fully functional pair of human lungs has been grown by researchers in a laboratory.

Scientists at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston achieved the feat by stripping one pair of lungs down to its main base components, producing a scaffold-like structure.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-lungs-in-a-lab

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Will the usual people cite that the article is from Fox news and declare it a lie?

OK, sorry about that, this is good news.

#3    Fred.S

Fred.S

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Wow this is Great News, Things will be very interesting in the near Future. Replacing internal organs will become very common place. We must and Will Continue with this research.

#4    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Wasn't this done a few years ago? Or am I thinking of another organ? I know that I read somewhere that this was being done.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

i remember being fascinated when i saw them growing an ear on a rat's back to transplant to a human. this totally trumps that!

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

My generations lifespan will sure be interesting

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,503 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

If we can take a patient's own cells and grow new lungs (or any organ) then you eliminate the rejection problem.

#8    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:24 PM

Anything to expand the human life is a bad idea, we are over populated as it is and we want to prolong death?

#9    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

I'm starting to think they should change the name of this sight to "fully explained not so much mysteries as just everyday news".

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 18 February 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Anything to expand the human life is a bad idea, we are over populated as it is and we want to prolong death?

Fear of new tech seems to be a human thing. Also the human population is projected to stop and even out at 7 bill(I think) by 2050. Because people are having less and less kids.

And if you really believe what you said then maybe you should stop taking vaccines or any surgery's. Your life has been expanded compared to people in the past.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#11    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 19 February 2014 - 12:25 AM, said:

Fear of new tech seems to be a human thing. Also the human population is projected to stop and even out at 7 bill(I think) by 2050. Because people are having less and less kids.

And if you really believe what you said then maybe you should stop taking vaccines or any surgery's. Your life has been expanded compared to people in the past.

I have no fear of new technology at all, I just don't like being able to extend the human life, as it is I see us as parasites. You really think that the population will even itself out?? Honestly, I can't see that happening anytime soon

I haven't had a single vaccine in years (never got seriously sick after I stopped having them btw). Never had a need for surgery either. But what you are doing is trying to do is compare apples with oranges here, Having a surgery for broken bones or something is way different to having surgery to replace you heart or something like that. Fixing what is broken is a necessity in this century where as replacing something is not. You die when you are meant to die not just have your organs replaced.

#12    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:11 AM

View PostIBelieveWhatIWant, on 19 February 2014 - 12:48 AM, said:

I have no fear of new technology at all, I just don't like being able to extend the human life, as it is I see us as parasites. You really think that the population will even itself out?? Honestly, I can't see that happening anytime soon

I haven't had a single vaccine in years (never got seriously sick after I stopped having them btw). Never had a need for surgery either. But what you are doing is trying to do is compare apples with oranges here, Having a surgery for broken bones or something is way different to having surgery to replace you heart or something like that. Fixing what is broken is a necessity in this century where as replacing something is not. You die when you are meant to die not just have your organs replaced.

I think you're missing the point, although I for the most part, agree with your post.

Organ replacement such as this, will come in great use for those who die well before their time. Take for instance a small child 6 years old or so who needs a new heart. If there is no one else available to give a heart that matches, the one grown in the lab will do just fine. I agree that when it's your time, it's your time, but not when it's 30+ years before the average age of death.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#13    IBelieveWhatIWant

IBelieveWhatIWant

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

View Postandy4, on 19 February 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

I think you're missing the point, although I for the most part, agree with your post.

Organ replacement such as this, will come in great use for those who die well before their time. Take for instance a small child 6 years old or so who needs a new heart. If there is no one else available to give a heart that matches, the one grown in the lab will do just fine. I agree that when it's your time, it's your time, but not when it's 30+ years before the average age of death.

If that is all it would be used for, go for it I am on board 100% because stuff like that is completely unfair to the child but we all know that it won't only be reserved for that. Most likely the elites will have it (if not already) for a few good years before it gets released to us and from there even more chaos with life expectancy in the 100's ruining this planet even further....but in saying that I guess I would rather live forever in a human body than in a android body.

My general point is that we should not look into making ourselves essentially immortal. It would not be good for us or nature in the long run, in the short term it sounds awesome. Growing human limbs, how wouldn't that sound cool, but in the long run it is a bad idea.

#14    MissJatti

MissJatti

SuperNatural

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Im heart broken, can they grow me a working heart?

Posted Image

#15    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostSkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, on 19 February 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Im heart broken, can they grow me a working heart?

I almost felt bad for you. Can they grow me a conscience?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users