Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Monsanto GM-corn harvest fails massively

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

Digital Journal said:

South African farmers suffered millions of dollars in lost income when 82,000 hectares of genetically-manipulated corn (maize) failed to produce hardly any seeds.The plants look lush and healthy from the outside. Monsanto has offered compensation.

Monsanto blames the failure of the three varieties of corn planted on these farms, in three South African provinces,on alleged 'underfertilisation processes in the laboratory". Some 280 of the 1,000 farmers who planted the three varieties of Monsanto corn this year, have reported extensive seedless corn problems.

Read more: http://www.digitaljo...1#ixzz2tha8Y8Jj

Hmmm... brave new world, eh?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,290 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

The compensation will likely be more of the same going into the future.

From the article:

However Mayet says Monsanto was grossly understating the problem.According to her own information, some farms have suffered up to 80% crop failures. The centre is strongly opposed to GM-food and biologically-manipulated technology in general.

"Monsanto says they just made a mistake in the laboratory, however we say that biotechnology is a failure.You cannot make a 'mistake' with three different varieties of corn.'

Edited by OverSword, 18 February 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#3    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

What about a free large pizza and two-liter pop for compensation?

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,033 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Farmers using MONSANTO seeds are obligated by contract to use these seeds only and are not allowed
to use seeds from other suppliers or seeds from the own harvest of a former season. In case of breach of
agreement, fines up to 500K USD can apply.

2nd, if the vitality of seeds were manipulated by lab error, the option is given that seeds can be manipulated
deliberately to non-vitality. With that option the option is given and open to influence foreign harvesting
amounts and so to manipulate the global corn market, for example to the benefit of Stock Exchange Corn Futures.
Test balloon? Very dirty story anyway.

Edited by toast, 18 February 2014 - 09:55 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

What nutrition does corn provide, anyways? As far as I can see it's just starch on top of starch..

--

Google tells me it has Iron, vitamin b-6 and magnesium.

...that's it, nutritionally. But yet corn is in everything and it's subsidized by the government. Strange.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#6    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,063 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

:huh:

Old news, and... "massively"?

Lets see, with genetically engineered maize planted on ~60% area (of total corn), corn production in SA must have been in a deep hole in 2009... Well, in 2009 there was, actually, increase by ~7% (total corn) in comparison with 2008. So much for "massively".

And lets hear what "evil" side has to say:

The average yield reduction was 25% in the fields affected by the pollination variation. It is not 25 % of the total corn planted of the three hybrids and certainly not 25 % of total corn plantings and most definitely not 80% as some blogs and sites are reporting.
[...]
In the end, all complaints were addressed and settled, and Monsanto received positive feedback on how this issue was handled [...]
(link)

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

It seems that Mexico has banned GMO corn on the back of this. I suppose there is always some silver lining to every disaster.

http://www.trueactiv...ve-immediately/

PS - Go to the horse's mouth for the real story bmk :w00t:

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 19 February 2014 - 02:54 PM.

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,418 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 18 February 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

What nutrition does corn provide, anyways? As far as I can see it's just starch on top of starch..

--

Google tells me it has Iron, vitamin b-6 and magnesium.

...that's it, nutritionally. But yet corn is in everything and it's subsidized by the government. Strange.

starches are hydrocarbons, hydrocarbons are the mainstay of all metabolism.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Right, because non-GM crops have NEVER failed.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 19 February 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

It seems that Mexico has banned GMO corn on the back of this. I suppose there is always some silver lining to every disaster.

Br Cornelius

The growing of GM corn, yes. The import, no.

Meanwhile, Brasil has gone all-in on GM foods.  

http://www.businessw...-mexico-says-no

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 19 February 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Br Cornelius
You see it as "victory", don't you? Well, if it will happen (or indeed already happened - too lazy to dig it deeper), I will say: "Welcome back tilting, good morning good old hybrids, or new ones with the same patent issues, same (or worse) pesticide/fertilizer related issues...". Where is a "win", or did I missed something?

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#12    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

The primary win is in knocking back Monsanto's plan to dominate and control all Corn seed. The secondary win is in rolling back weakly tested and overall unbeneficial GMO technology.
The current crop of GMO's are all about big business control agriculture, whether there will be any real benefit from GMO's in the future is yet to be seen.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#13    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,033 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 February 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

The current crop of GMO's are all about big business control agriculture, whether there will be any real benefit from GMO's in the future is yet to be seen.
Br Cornelius

Exactly. And the still underestimated fact is that this control option can be used as a hidden political tool as well.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#14    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 20 February 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

The primary win is in knocking back Monsanto's plan to dominate and control all Corn seed. The secondary win is in rolling back weakly tested and overall unbeneficial GMO technology.

Br Cornelius
Yeah? And what arguments you will put when, for example, DuPont Pioneer will take over seed (hybrids) market?

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,458 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Knowing Monsanto's tactics of prosecuting farmers who have residual GMO on their land - even when they never planted it, almost anything has to be better than their bully boy strategy.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users