Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Vitamins are not helpful? What do you think?

vitamins

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I don't know about you guys, but I get really tired of the lies in mainstream media.
Are multivitamins a waste of money? Editorial in medical journal says yes

By Nadia Kounang, CNN, http://www.cnn.com/2...tamins-studies/
updated 9:15 AM EST, Tue December 17, 2013
http://www.cnn.com/2...tamins-studies/

Meanwhile, on my professional website, we get things like this, just one of many, many:
Medscape Medical News > Conference News
Low Vitamin C Linked to Intracerebral Hemorrhage

Pauline Anderson, February 14, 2014, http://www.medscape....ail&uac=41475AT
If you have an article that discredits or supports the claim on vitamins, and you think people need to know it, post it here. Tell me what you really think.

Many other links can be found for this newly released research:
http://www.news.nom....k-8099796-news/

WHile the first article says that the jury is still out on Vitamin D, I don't know how much more research they are going to need, since there is already a plethora of informational research on Vitamin D:
http://search.eureka...rset=iso-8859-1

Edited by regeneratia, 19 February 2014 - 06:03 PM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#2    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

I'm sure scurvy agrees. :yes:

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,172 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

This is something I keep going back and forth on.

Firstly because we know isolated chemicals and junk can effect you. Like drugs alcohol medicine protein drinks etc. So is it possible that taking vitamin supplements help you? idk

The arguments are that your body just flushes out whatever it doesn't use so taking vitamins doesn't really do anything unless you don't already get everything from your food. And another argument is that a lot of vitamins and things in food need other components for it to work. So if its not coming from its food source it probably doesn't have the other stuff.

But at the same time we know overdose on vitamins can hurt you, so it obviously has an effect, so would that mean that the right amount of vitamin supplements actually help? Idk

My problem with all the studies that say it has no effect on health is that this is something that is fairly difficult to test. So many cofounding factors and really what would you even look for to see if it helps people?

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,095 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Most vitamin supplements are as useful as tits on a bull, and that is not my opinion, that has been established by more than one study.

Vitamin supplements only make sense there where people do not eat appropriately, with a balanced diet you don't need them. With an unbalanced diet you are more likely to not use them either.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

I determine whether a vitamin is good for me by how I feel when I take it.

Anyway, if you ever need to research the research on Vitamins, here is a good place to look:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pubnews.php

View Postspartan max2, on 19 February 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

This is something I keep going back and forth on.

Firstly because we know isolated chemicals and junk can effect you. Like drugs alcohol medicine protein drinks etc. So is it possible that taking vitamin supplements help you? idk

The arguments are that your body just flushes out whatever it doesn't use so taking vitamins doesn't really do anything unless you don't already get everything from your food. And another argument is that a lot of vitamins and things in food need other components for it to work. So if its not coming from its food source it probably doesn't have the other stuff.

But at the same time we know overdose on vitamins can hurt you, so it obviously has an effect, so would that mean that the right amount of vitamin supplements actually help? Idk

My problem with all the studies that say it has no effect on health is that this is something that is fairly difficult to test. So many cofounding factors and really what would you even look for to see if it helps people?

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#6    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 February 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Most vitamin supplements are as useful as tits on a bull, and that is not my opinion, that has been established by more than one study.

Vitamin supplements only make sense there where people do not eat appropriately, with a balanced diet you don't need them. With an unbalanced diet you are more likely to not use them either.

Yes, it is entirely clear that you do not take vitamins.

However, the research indicates that you should.

How about this research?:
Public release date: 16-Jul-2013
Vitamins and minerals can boost energy and enhance mood

CHICAGO- Vitamin and mineral supplements can enhance mental energy and well-being not only for healthy adults but for those prone to anxiety and depression, according to a July 15 panel discussion at the 2013 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting & Food Expo® held at McCormick Place.
http://www.eurekaler...t-vam071613.php

Professor Hilton Hotema

#7    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,095 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 19 February 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Yes, it is entirely clear that you do not take vitamins.

However, the research indicates that you should.

How about this research?:
Public release date: 16-Jul-2013
Vitamins and minerals can boost energy and enhance mood

CHICAGO- Vitamin and mineral supplements can enhance mental energy and well-being not only for healthy adults but for those prone to anxiety and depression, according to a July 15 panel discussion at the 2013 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting & Food Expo® held at McCormick Place.
http://www.eurekaler...t-vam071613.php

That is enough for me to dismiss that study. Standing on your hands 5 hours can also.....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#8    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,729 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

I take a multivitamin about every other day for good measure.

There is nothing like fresh fruits, and veggies, but I do not all ways have them enough out of habit.

I have grown nice healthy plants with nutrient powders for plants in soilless hydroponics.This powder is the chemicals that plants need broken down to a powder in a lab just like a vitamin is made into pill form.

Thouroughly chew, or puree a balanced diet, and vitamins are not needed, but lifestyles differ.

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#9    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 19 February 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

I take a multivitamin about every other day for good measure.

There is nothing like fresh fruits, and veggies, but I do not all ways have them enough out of habit.

I have grown nice healthy plants with nutrient powders for plants in soilless hydroponics.This powder is the chemicals that plants need broken down to a powder in a lab just like a vitamin is made into pill form.

Thouroughly chew, or puree a balanced diet, and vitamins are not needed, but lifestyles differ.

Yes, I do a green and red drink as well. It is cheaper than going to the store for veggies and fruits that have no real guarentee for nutrition. You cannot turn a crop over in the same soil every 90 days and expect it to be nutritious. Had my drink, double dose, this morning.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#10    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,441 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 19 February 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

It is cheaper than going to the store for veggies and fruits
that have no real guarentee for nutrition.
Yes it might be cheaper but vitamin pills cannot replace the ingredients of fresh fruit+veggies, even not in a double or whatever
dose. Replacing fresh fruit+veggies over a long time of period by pills is insalubrious.

You cannot turn a crop over in the same soil every 90 days and
expect it to be nutritious.

Better you educate yourself in agriculture standards first before claiming such nonsense.

Had my drink, double dose, this morning.
Cheers!

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#11    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

View Posttoast, on 19 February 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Yes it might be cheaper but vitamin pills cannot replace the ingredients of fresh fruit+veggies, even not in a double or whatever
dose. Replacing fresh fruit+veggies over a long time of period by pills is insalubrious.

Better you educate yourself in agriculture standards first before claiming such nonsense.

Cheers!

Yeah, I KNOW about those ivy-league trained Calif. agriculture practices. I am also a farmer's daughter. My impression still stands.
The drink consists of real veggies and fruits.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#12    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,995 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Taking vitamins can be helpful to a certain point I guess, but taking too many or too much can be harmful. I always feel too much emphasis is put on everyone to take them. I don't know if they really do any good in the long run or not. For example a relative of mine has never taken vitamins in her life and she's now 93 years old and is still able to live by herself, with some help I will admit, but you can see the point I'm trying to make. Other members of my family take multivitamins but I don't take any and don't intend to.

Posted Image

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

I guess I'll just comment from my own experience...

My dietary habits are LESS than ideal. I drink and I smoke, and my meals are not that healthy either, though occasionally very well.

Anyway... several things I do know. Each cigarette consumed "burns-up" 100 Mg of vitamin C. Thus, for heavy smoker's(I am not) on a poor diet may actually have no vitamin C in their body at all.

Secondly, I was recently in alcohol detox, and the docs said that I was "dehydrated, my electrolytes were way down, and I had an acute thiamine(vitamin B-1) deficiency."

The dehydration due to alcohol apparently expelled from my body many water soluble nutrients.

They IV'd me with a 2 bags of  "water, electrolytes, general vitamins and thiamine in particular"
So, with those on a poor diet or poor lifestyle, supplements are necessary.

Of course, in a medical setting, "supplement bioavailabilty" is not a question with IV, as it bypasses the GI tract.

Not sure how this works with ingested pill OTC(over the counter) supplements, which does go through the GI tract. They never gave me a vitamin pill, but recommended I do so afterwards.

Edited by pallidin, 20 February 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#14    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

I read another artcle on the famous OPINION on vitamins. However it was all reported as fact in Mainstream media.  First of all, what struck me, was that it was all opinion.(oh I gotta get my readers). Little of it is fact, and can be countered by additional reporting of vitamin research already done.

That central article was an OPINION!

ok, that being said.

Here is the real test:
How do vitamins make you feel? That is the real, honest to god test.

If you take vitamins, or just one supplement, do you feel better than if you don't take that vitamin or supplement?
Now the placebo effect is a very magical thing, can't hardly be quantified, but it has been tried, claiming tht it can account for 15% to 25% effective. Even if the good effect of the vitamin is placebo, that placebo effect is sometimes far more effective than the chemotherapy drugs that are given. Think about that for a while. IOW, Dr.s are giving certain chemotherapies that are less effective than the placebo effect.

This humble person accepts with open-heart the placebo effect, and will never take chemotherapy.

Edited by regeneratia, 21 February 2014 - 12:11 AM.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#15    regeneratia

regeneratia

Alien Abducter

• 4,617 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:08 AM

You have my full support.

View Postpallidin, on 20 February 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

I guess I'll just comment from my own experience...

My dietary habits are LESS than ideal. I drink and I smoke, and my meals are not that healthy either, though occasionally very well.

Anyway... several things I do know. Each cigarette consumed "burns-up" 100 Mg of vitamin C. Thus, for heavy smoker's(I am not) on a poor diet may actually have no vitamin C in their body at all.

Secondly, I was recently in alcohol detox, and the docs said that I was "dehydrated, my electrolytes were way down, and I had an acute thiamine(vitamin B-1) deficiency."

The dehydration due to alcohol apparently expelled from my body many water soluble nutrients.

They IV'd me with a 2 bags of  "water, electrolytes, general vitamins and thiamine in particular"
So, with those on a poor diet or poor lifestyle, supplements are necessary.

Of course, in a medical setting, "supplement bioavailabilty" is not a question with IV, as it bypasses the GI tract.

Not sure how this works with ingested pill OTC(over the counter) supplements, which does go through the GI tract. They never gave me a vitamin pill, but recommended I do so afterwards.

Professor Hilton Hotema

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users