Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cats & Dogs sixth sense is UV vision

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,982 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

My cat often stares at things that I cant see, as Im sure many others have found. Or maybe they just do that to mess with me :lol:

Cats and dogs have a 'sixth sense' - and it's UV vision (but scientists don't know how they use it)

British researchers found that a variety of mammals, including hedgehogs and ferrets can see in ultraviolet - more than previously thought
    Biologists at City University London said the finding might explain why creatures act the way they do
    Experts are unsure why some animals have UV vision and humans don't

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2trhnfU7J

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,679 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Since cats are still predators, I would think their UV vision lets them hone in on prey as well as maybe find their way around in really dark places.

I find it funny that these scientist that did the study know that birds, for example, use the UV vision for mate finding or deer for detecting predators but act "puzzled" over why cats and dogs have it. Just because they are domesticated doesn't mean that they lose all their wild attributes.

Still, interesting findings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users