Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Exxon CEO joins anti-fracking lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,583 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:22 AM

Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson is involved in a legal battle over fracking. The weird part is, he’s on the side that’s against it.

http://www.salon.com...property_value/
So now he's against it, how rich.

#2    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,766 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

View PostAshotep, on 22 February 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

So now he's against it, how rich.
He IS rich - that's the point.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#3    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,323 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Gotta love a hypocrite.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#4    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

Of course Fracking is totally safe as long as it isn't on your own doorstep.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#5    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,323 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

At least they will no longer be able to take the high moral ground - which is a result if nothing else. The battle for hearts and minds has already been lost in all new areas of expansion for the industry.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#6    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'd bet a quarter... this guy still says its perfectly safe,    but a little messy and noisy for some areas? Like his horse ranch!  or residential areas?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#7    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,323 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

View Postlightly, on 24 February 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

I'd bet a quarter... this guy still says its perfectly safe, but a little messy and noisy for some areas? Like his horse ranch!  or residential areas?
Tell that to the Texans of Dallas.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#8    DarkHunter

DarkHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Fracking is perfectly safe as long as it is done right, but I can't blame the guy for not wanting it done on his land.

Once fracking is done on your land what you can do with your land becomes highly restricted until the fracking is finished.  I can't remember all of the restrictions but it was stuff like you cant build anything at all within 10 yards of any fracking equipment, the areas you are allowed to build on still have restrictions on what is allowed to be built, and if I remember correctly the land owner is partially responsible for mantience of the fracking equipment and can get sued if anything happens to it or if any problems arise.

Fracking is safe but almost all the contracts the fracking companies try to get people to agree to are terrible and I can understand why the guy is fighting this.

#9    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,323 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Fracking cannot be said to be safe. It causes air pollution, water pollution and brings heavy plant into areas which were previously rural. All of these things are recorded and have safety risks associated with them. The fact that in some ideal world Fracking might be possible to do without these issues is hardly material to those effected.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#10    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,766 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostDarkHunter, on 24 February 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Fracking is perfectly safe as long as it is done right, but I can't blame the guy for not wanting it done on his land.
As for not building anything on, or near, the lease site:  we've had two drilling and one fracking accident in Oklahoma in the last three years.  In the first drilling accident, the crew had the blowout preventer apart for repairs.  Emissions from the well ignited on the rig.  After that, there wasn't anything left to do but run.  Everybody got off OK, but several people's cars burned up.  Lawsuits still working through the courts.

Second accident:  nobody knows how the fire got started, but it killed the derrickman.  Rig was a total loss.

Fracking accident:  the crew was using MWD (measurement while drilling) equipment prior to the actual fracturing.  The gear uses a very high jolt of electricity to make measurements of the hole.  They had it out for maintenance but a new man on site didn't have the power supply disconnected.  They had another machine hooked up to the same system.  The boss told another new crewman to turn the power on.  Fortunately, the maintenance man had just stood up to get a tool and didn't have ahold of the instruments.  There was a fifty-foot arc across the drill pad; fortunately it missed everybody, but the whole system was taken offline for several days while the companies investigated.  The boss got fired over that one.

Once fracking is done on your land what you can do with your land becomes highly restricted until the fracking is finished.  I can't remember all of the restrictions but it was stuff like you cant build anything at all within 10 yards of any fracking equipment, the areas you are allowed to build on still have restrictions on what is allowed to be built, and if I remember correctly the land owner is partially responsible for mantience of the fracking equipment and can get sued if anything happens to it or if any problems arise.
Do you mean to say that an oil or gas company that's willing to spend four or five MILLION dollars on one well is going to balk at a contract that requires them to be responsible for their own equipment?  They pay the mud logger more than it takes to clean up a typical site.

Fracking is safe but almost all the contracts the fracking companies try to get people to agree to are terrible and I can understand why the guy is fighting this.
Drilling and fracking are only safe if nobody makes a mistake.  But, people make mistakes.  Oklahoma probably has one of the best regulatory systems in the world, but even here, accidents still happen.  States like Ohio and Pennsylvania that won't pass the proper regulations are at the mercy of unscrupulous or incompetent operators, nut to mention the problems with unknown faults and lots of synclines and anticlines.  And our lassez-faire state governments don't mind if somebody ELSE gets killed.
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 24 February 2014 - 06:51 PM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#11    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,583 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:13 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 22 February 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

He IS rich - that's the point.
Doug
That was my point, only a rich guy could stop this.  The rest of us would have to live with it so the likes of him can get richer.

#12    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

So ridiculous. Fracking is perfectly safe - until it's on the doorstep of a wealthy neighbourhood.

Bunch of crooks and Hippocrates.

""If we are going to move forward with technology, we're going to have to hand the self destruct button to every person on the planet and trust them not to push it."

Aaron Frank

#13    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Telekinetic

• 6,766 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 26 February 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

So ridiculous. Fracking is perfectly safe - until it's on the doorstep of a wealthy neighbourhood.

Bunch of crooks and Hippocrates.
NIMBY

#14    Finity

Finity

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

If someone like him is changing his mind there is something else going on. The motives of these people are rarly honest :P

Anyone who saying it's safe is lying. No industrial process is completely safe, or clean. I think the arguments will go on until a bunch of people die from drinking poisoned water, then we will start to see bans.

Edited by Finity, 10 March 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#15    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 11,323 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

He is simply been a NIMBY. A real down to earth hypocrite.
he knew the reality all along but it was never going to effect him - until now.

This is the quality of people we are dealing with here.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users