Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

James Randi $1,000,000 Foundation Prize

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

So i noticed that a lot of people on this website are always trying to get people to challenge the Foundation. But i beat most of you have never even been to the Website including myself until today/this thread. I was curious as to what some of the conditions/previous claims where and i actually took the time to read it and look through the website. It is very interesting.

Has anyone ever gotten past the preliminary test?
No. Some people use this fact as a reason not to apply – and yet the protocol is never altered once the applicant agrees to it. In fact, we ask the applicant to design the test.

Has anyone taken the formal test?

No. Applicants must pass the preliminary test in order to move on to a formal test. So far, no one has ever performed the paranormal ability they claimed to have.

To me a lot of these challenges on the forum seem like the Sci Fi TV show Fact or Faked Paranormal Challenge. I mean these guys went to extraordinary lengths and spent a tremendous amount of time to try and debunk the claims. After reading through the forum a couple of threads peaked my interest:

Psi Ball Claims.
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=58555

Disembodied Voices out of thin air. I remember that i watched a documentary about a similar case in which a team was using these same techniques and got some good results. To bad i don't remember the name of the project. :cry:
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=50828

Surprisingly a Ouija Board claim lol.
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=43349

Street Light Controller: I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube about this Phenomena, and have read a little about this however i am a little skeptical.
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=50014

A guy claiming that he isn't human. Probably trolling the foundation :alien:
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=33883

Astral Traveler :yes:  But they basically denied his claim before it can actually be tested. :no:
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=28931

What do you guys think about some of these claims? Discuss Please.

Edited by stevemagegod, 22 February 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#2    Hideout

Hideout

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

I have great respect for James Randi and his contributions to free-thought and skepticism. As Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" I believe anyone claiming these powers should demonstrate them, and Mr. Randi has provided a great platform for it. Regardless of whether you want the money or not, in the spirit of scientific investigation and the expansion of knowledge.

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
--Richard Feynman

#3    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,364 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 22 February 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

Street Light Controller: I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube about this Phenomena, and have read a little about this however i am a little skeptical.

The Magnetic Ballast needed for the HID (high intensity discharge) bulb is faulty causing intermittent operation.The photo resistor located on top of the lamp that controls whether the lamp turns on, or off for day, or night is faulty.

Either of these conditions make the lamp shut off, and restart the ballast.Meanwhile the faker times it to make it look like his/her presence is causing this, because the lamp with these conditions becomes predictable to when it shuts off.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#4    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,381 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 22 February 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

The Magnetic Ballast needed for the HID (high intensity discharge) bulb is faulty causing intermittent operation.The photo resistor located on top of the lamp that controls whether the lamp turns on, or off for day, or night is faulty.

Either of these conditions make the lamp shut off, and restart the ballast.Meanwhile the faker times it to make it look like his/her presence is causing this, because the lamp with these conditions becomes predictable to when it shuts off.

Is that all it takes to do this? Dam i had a faulty street light next to my own house for a couple of months and it was pretty dam annoying going on and off every couple of hours randomly. I could be getting 1,000+ Views on Youtube if it weren't fixed. :whistle:

Edited by stevemagegod, 22 February 2014 - 04:42 AM.

#5    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,364 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 22 February 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

Is that all it takes to do this? Dam i had a faulty street light next to my own house for a couple of months and it was pretty dam annoying going on and off every couple of hours randomly. I could be getting 1,000+ Views on Youtube if it weren't fixed. :whistle:

Yup.

Just keep filming yourself walking near it, then "Taa Da!", and edit the results.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#6    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,090 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

View Postdavros of skaro, on 22 February 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

Yup.

Just keep filming yourself walking near it, then "Taa Da!", and edit the results.

My town in AZ street lights turn off in sync to save power. It's weird because if I time it right, I could ride home in complete darkness.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#7    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,289 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

...Discuss Please.

I'm thinking that you shouldn't quote so many topics from a forum that is not this forum. It seems like, recruiting.

#8    Camarel

Camarel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 22 February 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

My town in AZ street lights turn off in sync to save power. It's weird because if I time it right, I could ride home in complete darkness.

Seriously Brian, you have a talent of making me laugh  :w00t:

#9    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

So i noticed that a lot of people on this website are always trying to get people to challenge the Foundation. But i beat most of you have never even been to the Website including myself until today/this thread. I was curious as to what some of the conditions/previous claims where and i actually took the time to read it and look through the website. It is very interesting.
(...)
Astral Traveler :yes:  But they basically denied his claim before it can actually be tested. :no:
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=28931

That´s my favorite one, the "Hand In The Mirror" saga. :clap:

Have set the randi page to favorites for entertaining purposes.

Edited by toast, 22 February 2014 - 09:59 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#10    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

:lol:
http://forums.randi....ead.php?t=89877

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#11    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Anyone seen clips of James Randi's TV show?

It shows the sort of people that make these claims. And what happens to them when they are under pressure an their 'trick' is taken away from them.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#12    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,381 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 22 February 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

I'm thinking that you shouldn't quote so many topics from a forum that is not this forum. It seems like, recruiting.

Not really considering a lot of people on this forum always use the James Randi prize foundation as a type of "insult" when people make claims in the Psychic Ability section of the website. I just thought we could have a healthy discussion on the actual website itself since people on here are always directing people to it.

#13    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,090 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

View Poststevemagegod, on 22 February 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Not really considering a lot of people on this forum always use the James Randi prize foundation as a type of "insult" when people make claims in the Psychic Ability section of the website. I just thought we could have a healthy discussion on the actual website itself since people on here are always directing people to it.

When some one makes claims like "I can move objects" or "I can summon demons" or "I can control people's mind" or "I can levitate" ETC, Then it is an open invitation for people to make that challenge. Any way, If they are legit, THEY GET A 1 MILL dollars! Even if they do not want the money, donate it to charity.

There is no excuse, If they have these powers then show the world, shut up the skeptics and make us all believers for I would love to be wrong about some one having these gifts/powers!

Posted Image

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#14    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

View PostHideout, on 22 February 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

I have great respect for James Randi and his contributions to free-thought and skepticism. As Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" I believe anyone claiming these powers should demonstrate them, and Mr. Randi has provided a great platform for it. Regardless of whether you want the money or not, in the spirit of scientific investigation and the expansion of knowledge.

I disagree with you concerning the Carl Sagan quote. ''Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence''  What is considered ''extraordinary'' is enterily a matter of belief and perception. What may be considered as such by one may not be for another. I think it is not in the benefit of science to seek only extraordinary evidences in the matter of extraordinary claims of phenomenon. Knowledge and discoveries can be acquired bit by bit, morcel by morcel among many reasearchers and experiencers over many years and generations unveiling new grounds to improve our scientific understanding. One thing we know from the history of science is that all is not black or white.

Here is a good article of Psychology Today that expand on this: http://www.psycholog...dinary-evidence

The problem with this platform is that it's objectivity and true purpose can be questionned and doubted. Is there really a scientific curiosity to prove and explore the implication of these paranormal claims or the intention is merely to debunk and dissmiss to satisfy a conviction? As much as I respect James Randi and his collegues, they do not hide the fact that they already consider every claim of paranormal phenomenon to be frauds, mesinterpretations, wishful thinking ect. The organisations does not met the objectivity criteria that any sound and serious research should have. One has to convince them of the contrary to gain a prize, according to their standards of evidence.

I see it more as a contest, meant to fortify a position that these skeptic organisations advocate, satisfy a conviction or even turn into derision the concept of paranormal phenomenon with no true purpose of scientific curiosity and exploration of ideas.

Edited by sam_comm, 22 February 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#15    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Seems to me that, even if all that you're saying was true, if you have these powers you'd still have these powers, the deck being stacked a bit wouldn't matter all that much

How would you go about making "objective" tests?

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users