Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

America’s Oldest Fort Discovered

fletcher crowe fort caroline fortified settlement anita spring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,734 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

In an announcement likely to rewrite the book on early colonization of the New World, two researchers today said they have discovered the oldest fortified settlement ever found in North America.

Speaking at an international conference on France at Florida State University, the pair announced that they have located Fort Caroline, a long-sought fort built by the French in 1564.

http://www.heritaged...est-fort/102215

Posted Image

#2    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

And when I looked at the subject line on the main page, it read:

America's Oldest Fort Disco...

That would have been interesting to discover too! But perhaps not quite as old as Fort Caroline.

ETA: Having said that, I was surprised when I read that the settlement contained Protestant French. The fort was built at the start of the French Wars of Religion, between Catholics and Protestants. This was also a time of French-Spanish conflict (going back decades) so it's perhaps not surprising that the Catholic Spanish troops would have taken great pleasure in destroying a fort of Protestant French.

Edited by Peter B, 23 February 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#3    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

white hot fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

vry neat, though the story of the settlement has always made me sad. if i remember right, it was founded by huguenots hoping forsafety from the religous wars in europe. didn't work out that way.

#4    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Interestingly enough, Charleston, SC was given the name " The Holy City" because everyone who came there first thing they did was build a church. Religious persecution was one of the main reasons people took such a huge risk and came here to start over in a hostile land. Some thrived and some died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users