Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Microsoft to cut manufacturer price for Win

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,757 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Reuters said:

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp is reducing the price of Windows 8.1 for manufacturers of low-cost computers and tablets by 70 percent to compete with cheaper products like Google Inc's Chromebooks, Bloomberg News reported on Saturday, citing sources familiar with the program.

Computer makers will be charged $15 to license Windows 8.1 and pre-install it on devices retailing for under $250, compared with the standard fee of $50, Bloomberg reported. Any product that meets the price limit will be eligible for the discount, with no restrictions on the type or size of the device.

Sales of Microsoft's Windows 8 system, including its latest Windows 8.1 version, have been relatively slow since its launch 15 months ago. More than 200 million Window 8 licenses were sold, lagging Windows 7, which sold 240 million within its first year, according to Tami Reller, head of marketing for Microsoft.

Read more

70%?

That tells me one of two things:

Microsoft is short on cash and this is a desperate attempt to generate some
or
Microsoft has been overcharging on Windows exploiting their quasi-monopoly
or
both.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    A rather obscure Bassoon

A rather obscure Bassoon

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

• "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."

Mark Russel

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 February 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

70%?

That tells me one of two things:

Microsoft is short on cash and this is a desperate attempt to generate some
or
Microsoft has been overcharging on Windows exploiting their quasi-monopoly
or
both.

That's just plain Cynical,I'm sure Microsoft have the best interests of the Consumer at heart. :rofl:

" Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos. "

Anon.

#3    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:55 AM

I wonder if the OEMs will change their price of prebuilt pcs, laptops or tablets in response to this.

#4    Draco20

Draco20

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

I think this move serves two purpose:

1. A last desperate attempt to sell Windows 8(.1) before Windows 9 is released (in 2014 or 15, it is not confirmed yet.) Microsoft acknowledged that Windows 8 was a mistake and claimed it will fixed it in the next Windows. (http://digitaljourna.../article/349763)

2. To counter-attack the slow but steady rise of the chromebooks. http://www.dailytech...rticle33985.htm We know that Microsoft has been especially aggressive against Google, releasing adds that dismissed their product.

Paying less can't a bad thing for the customer anyway.

Edited by sam_comm, 23 February 2014 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users