Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Treasure found, legendary Norse treasure?


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Has a man with a metal detector really stumbled upon the legendary Norse treasure worth more than £800,000? Experts believe long-lost trove of gold and silver may be the real deal

    Haul was found near Ruelzheim in the southern part Rhineland Palatinate
    Prosecutors begin inquiry into the man who found it
    They believe he may have sold some items before owning up to the find


http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2uA6QUto3

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    MissJatti

MissJatti

    SuperNatural

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Joined:02 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Where the sun shines the brightest

  • Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

isnt odd that the man turned up with zorse treasure on the day of the viking apocalypse

perhaps this was the apocalypse, that everyone was raving about

Edited by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart, 23 February 2014 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Ive seen these finds, or types of finds before, some guy with a metal detector.. finds shedload of gold/treasure! . Ive promised myself so long to get one. This is further encouragement!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,514 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 February 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Has a man with a metal detector really stumbled upon the legendary Norse treasure worth more than £800,000? Experts believe long-lost trove of gold and silver may be the real deal

    Haul was found near Ruelzheim in the southern part Rhineland Palatinate
    Prosecutors begin inquiry into the man who found it
    They believe he may have sold some items before owning up to the find


http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2uA6QUto3

Can't blame him for selling some before it is made public.    Court battles over ownership can drag on for decades.

I'm not sure I would have "sold" some, but I certainly would have taken some and put it in a safe place.   Whether to be sold "as is" later or melted down and sold later, you have to be sure you come away with something.



#5    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,765 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 February 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Can't blame him for selling some before it is made public. Court battles over ownership can drag on for decades.

I'm not sure I would have "sold" some, but I certainly would have taken some and put it in a safe place.   Whether to be sold "as is" later or melted down and sold later, you have to be sure you come away with something.

in Germany you are getting 10% by law, regardless of who may have a claim to it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,514 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 February 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:



in Germany you are getting 10% by law, regardless of who may have a claim to it.

I guess it's good to have a concrete set amount.    But that seems rather low.


#7    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Heres how it works in the UK

Treasure found on land

Treasure found on land is governed by The Treasure Act which came into force in September 1997.

If you find treasure you are legally obliged to report it to your local police station within 14 days. The police will pass it on to the coroner who will decide whether it is defined as treasure.

There is a reward system in place to encourage you to report your findings, provided you were not trespassing when you found the treasure!

If a museum wants to acquire your treasure, you will probably be given the market value price. If no museum wants it, you may be entitled to keep it.

How is treasure defined?

The definition of treasure falls into four categories: coins that are older that 300 years old; other objects that contain at least 10% gold or silver and are at least 300 years old; associated objects that are found in the same place as treasure; and other objects containing substantial amounts of gold and silver whose owners cannot be traced.

Who is eligible for rewards?

If a museum wants to acquire the treasure, an independent valuation committee will value the treasure, to determine the reward paid to the finder.

Where the finder has permission to be on the land, rewards are paid in full.
If the finder makes an agreement with the occupier or landowner to share a reward, the government will be prepared to follow the terms of the agreement.
A finder who has been trespassing may expect a reduced award or none at all. Landowners and occupiers will be eligible for rewards when this happens.
Archaeologists will not normally be eligible for rewards.

eta source
http://news.bbc.co.u...hi/uk/24947.stm


.

Edited by seeder, 23 February 2014 - 05:39 PM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#8    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,036 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 February 2014 - 04:57 PM, said:

Ive seen these finds, or types of finds before, some guy with a metal detector.. finds shedload of gold/treasure! . Ive promised myself so long to get one. This is further encouragement!
i have a metal detector sitting in the shed that i haven't played with for a couple of years. i should get that puppy out and find me some treasure!


#9    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

View PostJGirl, on 23 February 2014 - 05:42 PM, said:

i have a metal detector sitting in the shed that i haven't played with for a couple of years. i should get that puppy out and find me some treasure!

Its motivating isnt it? Yeh go for walkies some-place in the sticks and see what you can find with it! You only need to find treasure once to be able to retire!!  Well enough of it anyway!

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 February 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

I guess it's good to have a concrete set amount. But that seems rather low.

I think we'd all be tempted to keep it and not tell anyone. But having said that, some finds do shine a light on important archeology..

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#11    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,514 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:02 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 February 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Heres how it works in the UK

Treasure found on land

Treasure found on land is governed by The Treasure Act which came into force in September 1997.

If you find treasure you are legally obliged to report it to your local police station within 14 days. The police will pass it on to the coroner who will decide whether it is defined as treasure.

There is a reward system in place to encourage you to report your findings, provided you were not trespassing when you found the treasure!

If a museum wants to acquire your treasure, you will probably be given the market value price. If no museum wants it, you may be entitled to keep it.

How is treasure defined?

The definition of treasure falls into four categories: coins that are older that 300 years old; other objects that contain at least 10% gold or silver and are at least 300 years old; associated objects that are found in the same place as treasure; and other objects containing substantial amounts of gold and silver whose owners cannot be traced.

Who is eligible for rewards?

If a museum wants to acquire the treasure, an independent valuation committee will value the treasure, to determine the reward paid to the finder.

    Where the finder has permission to be on the land, rewards are paid in full.
    If the finder makes an agreement with the occupier or landowner to share a reward, the government will be prepared to follow the terms of the agreement.
    A finder who has been trespassing may expect a reduced award or none at all. Landowners and occupiers will be eligible for rewards when this happens.
    Archaeologists will not normally be eligible for rewards.

eta source
http://news.bbc.co.u...hi/uk/24947.stm


.

Seems a little scary to me.    Sounds like there is certainly the possibility of corrupt individuals skewing the findings.
But something must be in place, right.   It can't be allowed to be just a free for all.

That being said, I wouldn't abide by the letter of the law.   I would certainly stash a certain amount away for myself before reporting it.   Gotta take precautions.   An example would be:
If I found three hundred gold coins that were 400 years old.    I would report that I had found 200 or 250.    Not sure what I'd do with the other 50-100, but I'd like to have the option.


#12    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,036 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 February 2014 - 05:57 PM, said:

Its motivating isnt it? Yeh go for walkies some-place in the sticks and see what you can find with it! You only need to find treasure once to be able to retire!!  Well enough of it anyway!
i've never found anything worth bragging about with mine. however i haven't gone down the beach which i keep saying i will do
it's difficult to use a detector around here because you aren't allowed to dig anywhere. the beach is fine because it's just sand, but if you take it to a park or somewhere similar you will get kicked out. at least where i live anyway


#13    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,514 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

View PostJGirl, on 23 February 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

i've never found anything worth bragging about with mine. however i haven't gone down the beach which i keep saying i will do
it's difficult to use a detector around here because you aren't allowed to dig anywhere. the beach is fine because it's just sand, but if you take it to a park or somewhere similar you will get kicked out. at least where i live anyway

The only valuable thing I found was a diamond ring.   The downside was that it was a reletive who lost it in my yard and I pulled out my metal detector to help her find it.  

I keep telling myself I'm going to use it more.     You really have to be dedicated.   It'll pick up a nail 6 inches down.    You have to be willing to get dirty and did lots of holes for nothing.    I think about 99/100 digs are worthless.   Maybe more.


#14    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 14,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

View PostJGirl, on 23 February 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

i've never found anything worth bragging about with mine. however i haven't gone down the beach which i keep saying i will do
it's difficult to use a detector around here because you aren't allowed to dig anywhere. the beach is fine because it's just sand, but if you take it to a park or somewhere similar you will get kicked out. at least where i live anyway


If its a popular beach you just may find your beer money!


It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#15    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,514 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

View Postseeder, on 23 February 2014 - 06:29 PM, said:




If its a popular beach you just may find your beer money!


Hope he reports that.    Ha ha.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users