Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

People Who Believe Hell Are Less Happy

hell brimstone eternal suffering happiness supernatural punishment

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,098 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Fire, brimstone, eternal suffering - hell is not a pleasant concept. But research has pointed to the societal benefits of a belief in supernatural punishment, including higher economic growth in developing countries and less crime.

But there are also drawbacks, even in this life. A new study links believing in hell, and perhaps even thinking about it, with lower levels of happiness and satisfaction in life.

http://www.livescien...-happiness.html

Posted Image

#2    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

well yeah, what a downer it must be to have that on your mind. the constant indirect threat every minute you're alive.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,415 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Well, well,... who'd have thought that thinking of eternal damnation would put you on a downer.  Not me!

#4    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

Been to hell, Wasn't impressed. Dundee wasn't much better either.

#5    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• 2,069 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 24 February 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Fire, brimstone, eternal suffering - hell is not a pleasant concept. But research has pointed to the societal benefits of a belief in supernatural punishment, including higher economic growth in developing countries and less crime.

But there are also drawbacks, even in this life. A new study links believing in hell, and perhaps even thinking about it, with lower levels of happiness and satisfaction in life.

http://www.livescien...-happiness.html

I figured this out before I went to school.

Drunk with blood..
Dangerous cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,673 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

Damning others to Hell on the other hand sure seems to make some folk downright giddy.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• 1,743 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I feel the way that many of us Christians look at hell is flawed; both in the present and especially throughout history. If one believes in a God that is the source of all life; then to deliberately move away from that source is to move away from life. As a Christian I don't believe hell is a place of torture and brimstone; but rather nonbeing. I see hell as cessation.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#8    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 25 February 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Damning others to Hell on the other hand sure seems to make some folk downright giddy.

Tertullian, the architect behind Trinity.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,110 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

well yeah. If you are decent person, the thought of people being tortured eternally is not such a good thought. Especially if you beleieve that you could end up there or be forced to live under an entity that would create such a place for eternity.  I'm not sure which is worse.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

I watched a great documentary not long ago that left me convinced the Hell of the Bible wasn't at all the fire and brimstone pit that the Catholic had encouraged

Note that the Catholic church has changed their opinion and "officially" says that Hell is the absence of God.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#11    fullywired

fullywired

Government Agent

• 4,095 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 25 February 2014 - 03:39 PM, said:

Note that the Catholic church has changed their opinion and "officially" says that Hell is the absence of God.
At the General Audience of Wednesday, 28 July 1999, the Holy Father reflected on hell as the definitive rejection of God. In his catechesis, the Pope said that care should be taken to interpret correctly the images of hell in Sacred Scripture, and explained that "hell is the ultimate consequence of sin itself... Rather than a place, hell indicates the state of those who freely and definitively separate themselves from God, the source of all life and joy".

your right
fullywired

Posted Image  

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-------Buddha (563 - 483 BC)

#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,663 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

They just don't know about the party, that is why they're depressed.

I think the depressed outlook of hell is from the hole guilt trip laid on by the message of ancestral sin (orginal sin), so you must do as the Book or I say or you burn, because God loves you. :huh:   No matter what you do, you can not right the wrongs of history. The Roman's murdered thousands of people for sport.   Best we can do is not repeat it and learn from it.  ... and dance... and drum... and plant flowers...

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,673 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostMarcus Aurelius, on 25 February 2014 - 12:38 PM, said:

I feel the way that many of us Christians look at hell is flawed; both in the present and especially throughout history. If one believes in a God that is the source of all life; then to deliberately move away from that source is to move away from life. As a Christian I don't believe hell is a place of torture and brimstone; but rather nonbeing. I see hell as cessation.
I don't know about cessation but it is definitely in my view a separation from all that is life affirming.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

#14    Hideout

Hideout

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 25 February 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

I don't know about cessation but it is definitely in my view a separation from all that is life affirming.
What does that actually mean though? I've heard variations of this before, that hell isn't a place or torture but merely the absence of god's grace. What does that actually entail? Is it a place? Is it a feeling that you are condemned to while in the same place as those who are with god and feel joy? I mean, from my perspective if it's merely the absence of god, then it wouldn't be much different than Earth.

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
--Richard Feynman

#15    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,673 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostHideout, on 25 February 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

What does that actually mean though? I've heard variations of this before, that hell isn't a place or torture but merely the absence of god's grace. What does that actually entail? Is it a place? Is it a feeling that you are condemned to while in the same place as those who are with god and feel joy? I mean, from my perspective if it's merely the absence of god, then it wouldn't be much different than Earth.
Good point.  What it means is definitely a good subject of debate. Some of my own thoughts on it are:

It is said that God is everywhere and all things come from and are created by God.  It is also said that all that is done is by God's will.  

Finally, we are asked by Christ to realise that "the Kingdom of Heaven is within us". That is the key - absence is not related to a separation in any physical sense, or that can be measured by space / distance.

Absence is lack of conscious awareness of God here and now, We can be "intellectually" aware that God is present aka: we believe this to be so but to be consciously aware of the presence is a realization that it is a factual proximity - an insurmountable truth.  

So yes, earth has often been described as "hell" given that the sentient beings on it do not have a conscious awareness of God's presence, only belief and faith that it is there.

On a more basic level - if we feel we are alone and there is no hope, no saving grace, we fulfill within us the nature of hell itself - there is no recognition of God or even a sense of purpose in existence at the deepest level when despair of this particular nature overcomes people.

Edit to add:

Basically conscious awareness of God is joy because knowing the eternity of one's soul and the power of creation dissolves all fears and attachments to past, present and future - which are temporary movements by comparison.  Suffering is the lack of conscious awareness and by extension is manifest in our level of attachment to the past, present and future psychologically.

Edited by libstaK, 25 February 2014 - 09:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users