Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Hosts, instead of Mothers?

anti-abortion steve martin

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

http://www.huffingto...ref=mostpopular

A pregnant woman is just a "host" that should not have the right to end her pregnancy, Virginia State Sen. Steve Martin ® wrote in a Facebook rant defending his anti-abortion views.
Martin, the former chairman of the Senate Education and Health Committee, wrote a lengthy post about his opinions on women's bodies on his Facebook wall last week in response to a critical Valentine's Day card he received from reproductive rights advocates.
"I don't expect to be in the room or will I do anything to prevent you from obtaining a contraceptive," Martin wrote. "However, once a child does exist in your womb, I'm not going to assume a right to kill it just because the child's host (some refer to them as mothers) doesn't want it." Martin then changed his post on Monday afternoon to refer to the woman as the "bearer of the child" instead of the "host."

He later says that his quote was 'taken the wrong way', and he was 'obviously sarcastic.'

Either way, seems in pretty poor taste for an elected offical to refer to pregnant women as hosts, no matter how he meant it.

Thoughts?

Edited by Awake2Chaos, 25 February 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#2    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,915 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

It obviously was taken the wrong way. The guy is arguing for these women to be mothers, instead of heartless socialy de-evolved murderers.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Why should I care what a random state official in Virginia says or does?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,915 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

If a women decides to have an abortion, doesnt that mean she is no longer a mother to that child, and is in fact just hosting that kid, till she can have a doctor rip it limb from limb outta her womb? Why should she be called a mother?

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#5    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 February 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

It's the lack of tact, I think, that people pay attention to.  

View Postpreacherman76, on 25 February 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

It obviously was taken the wrong way. The guy is arguing for these women to be mothers, instead of heartless socialy de-evolved murderers.

Okay, but what if these mothers don't want their babies?  What happens then?

Edited by Awake2Chaos, 25 February 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#6    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 25 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

If a women decides to have an abortion, doesnt that mean she is no longer a mother to that child, and is in fact just hosting that kid, till she can have a doctor rip it limb from limb outta her womb? Why should she be called a mother?

Calling a mother a host is akin to calling a baby a parasite.  Why demonize either?  

If we were to make abortion illegal, who would take care of all the unwanted children?  Would we just have 'orphanges' for these kids?  Who teaches them?  Who funds it all?  Those are some of the questions that go through my mind.  I would never have an abortion myself, but I do think that women should be able to make the decision themselves.

Edited by Awake2Chaos, 25 February 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#7    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,554 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

I'm pro-choice. I would think, though, that a pregnant woman who decides to get an abortion would not even think of herself as a mother! Why would she if she was getting rid of the fetus so she doesn't have a child? She's not a mother. She is a temporary 'bearer of the child' or, yes, a host.

People against things are going to use words with negative connotations. I think this is being blown out of proportion.

Embrace the impossible.

#8    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

he used the term as a sarcastic jab and that is pretty obvious. no one read it the wrong way
what a slimebag
not cuz he said it, but because he tried to deny his intention when he did say it.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Just as it takes more to be a father than donating sperm, it takes more to being a mother than providing the egg. A woman who aborts a fetus has no desire to be a mother to it and shouldn't be offended when being called a host. I wouldn't even call them a host because they aren't very hospitable.

I'm pro-choice, but I think nit picking over this is silly.

#10    MeanieAndMe

MeanieAndMe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.
    --Mary Poppins--

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostRafterman, on 25 February 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Because words have power.  Such as how others perceive women or babies.  If words are not challenged at the beginning they can be used to spill over to other categories of women and babies in different situations.  It doesn't matter if they are misquoted or the speaker has misgivings about the turn of phrase.

:no:

Link removed - see rule 1a.

#11    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Would anyone have the slightest problem calling a man who doesn't stick around after conception a donor instead of a father? I don't think so.

Posted Image

#12    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Who is more crazy?  The politician who says something off the wall and apologizes?  Or the supreme defender of their party that continues to defend the politician's statement after the apology?

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 25 February 2014 - 08:15 PM, said:

Who is more crazy?  The politician who says something off the wall and apologizes?  Or the supreme defender of their party that continues to defend the politician's statement after the apology?

Or someone who brings party partisanship into a conversation where there seems to be none.

#14    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostMichelle, on 25 February 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Or someone who brings party partisanship into a conversation where there seems to be none.

Oh, right.  An anti-abortion rant from a United States Senator has absolutely nothing to do with his political affiliations.  :tsu:

#15    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 25 February 2014 - 08:25 PM, said:

Oh, right.  An anti-abortion rant from a United States Senator has absolutely nothing to do with his political affiliations.  :tsu:

Several people who don't see anything wrong in what he said are pro-choice...or did you overlook those? You simply chimed in on party affiliation seemingly without an opinion on the topic of the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users