Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

A new state of matter found.. in chicken eye

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,234 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

A fowl find: Scientists stunned to discover a new state of matter - in a chicken's EYE

Disordered hyperuniformity is an arrangement of particles that allows material to behave like both a crystal and a liquid
    Could lead to new types of light sensor

A new state of matter has been discovered in the eye of a chicken. Never before seen in biology, 'disordered hyperuniformity' is an arrangement of particles that allows material to behave like both a crystal and a liquid.

Along with eggs, soup and rubber toys the list of the humble rooster's most lasting legacies may eventually include optics that can transmit light with the efficiency of a crystal and the flexibility of a liquid.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2uQMXrYlM

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Pretty interesting..   Sounds like it might become useful ?

" Materials in this state are like crystals in the way they keep the density of particles consistent across large spatial distances

But these systems are also like liquids because they have the same physical properties in all directions.

Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

Previously it had only been seen in physical systems like liquid helium and simple plasmas.

Edited by lightly, 26 February 2014 - 12:29 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,234 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

View Postlightly, on 26 February 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Pretty interesting..   Sounds like it might become useful ?

" Materials in this state are like crystals in the way they keep the density of particles consistent across large spatial distances

But these systems are also like liquids because they have the same physical properties in all directions.

Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

Previously it had only been seen in physical systems like liquid helium and simple plasmas.

With my screen size and resolution I couldn't read that till I enlarged it!! So will post it again for anyone else who cant see it, in a larger font

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

thanks seeder.   sorry for the small font ...   just copied & pasted,  and that's how it came out.    I'll have to remember to enlarge those things.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

View Postlightly, on 26 February 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

thanks seeder.   sorry for the small font ...   just copied & pasted,  and that's how it came out. I'll have to remember to enlarge those things.

:tu:  ha no worries. When I copy/paste from webpages I have a notepad open, pasting it there removes any formatting, then I just copy it back and paste

#6    AZDZ

AZDZ

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

• Hatching soon...

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

There's an easier way, clicking the pink and white eraser in the posting features, (right above the I between the B and the U ) will return all highlighted text to forum defaults.

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,234 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:24 AM

cheers, useful tip :tu:

#8    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

I was reading this yesterday, near started the topic as well, fascinating stuff,

What I find somewhat confusing is this line:

So is it a new state of matter or not?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#9    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

View Postlightly, on 26 February 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

thanks seeder.   sorry for the small font ...   just copied & pasted,  and that's how it came out. I'll have to remember to enlarge those things.

I thought you were playing some sort of optical game to go with the theme of the thread :blush:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

Yogi Berra

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 27 February 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

I was reading this yesterday, near started the topic as well, fascinating stuff,

What I find somewhat confusing is this line:

So is it a new state of matter or not?

Me too   ..  this line also confused me ..   Researchers say this may be the first time disordered hyperuniformity has been observed in a biological system.

But it's still interesting..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users