Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

What happened to the america of until the 60s

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    outoftheworld

outoftheworld

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Now i am not going to say it was all peaches and cream, because i know it wasnt, i know there were mafia gangs, and the late 1800s wild west was anything but peaceful.

However there is a certain charm i get from watching old westerns, one that i simply cant get anywhere else, not even by watching british dramas where people put on posh victorian voices.

Basically that whole `men by the campfire, `  or `girls working on the ranch`  and riding off on your horse into the countryside..   or the dancing in a tavern with a guitar, which always ends up in a major bar brawl

That sort of old western culture is such a simple life, and i really used to think of america as being like that, until i visited it once as a kid, and now i see documentaries about places like detroit/ philadelphia etc being major crime havens,  its just sad because you watch these old westerns and you hear people talking about the american dream, and even though that was in the 50s, and they were acting as people from the last century,  there was still such a gentle side to these people like james stewart, jeff chandler etc etc..   dont get gentle mistaken with nieve or weak, because that they werent,   but i really hate modern society where everything is toilet jokes or the `f` word, and all people care about are their apps
And no, i dont want to, or care for the amish.

I love, putting my earfones on, on a rainy day, snuggle up and watch a 1950s colour western and temporarily time travel out of this cruel cold world.

So, once again, what happened to those giant canyons, the goregous countryside, those gold rush boom towns, the thousands of miles of countryside,  all those travelling people around camp fires etc..   i know life was anything but perfect back then, especially with injuns on the warpath, but it just seems so hard to think that an entire civilisation/ culture/ is totally gone.. or unrecognisable now.

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,256 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

it grew up, boy-scouting is not so much in vogue anymore...

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,939 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Postoutoftheworld, on 26 February 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

Now i am not going to say it was all peaches and cream, because i know it wasnt, i know there were mafia gangs, and the late 1800s wild west was anything but peaceful.

However there is a certain charm i get from watching old westerns, one that i simply cant get anywhere else, not even by watching british dramas where people put on posh victorian voices.

Basically that whole `men by the campfire, `  or `girls working on the ranch`  and riding off on your horse into the countryside..   or the dancing in a tavern with a guitar, which always ends up in a major bar brawl

That sort of old western culture is such a simple life, and i really used to think of america as being like that, until i visited it once as a kid, and now i see documentaries about places like detroit/ philadelphia etc being major crime havens,  its just sad because you watch these old westerns and you hear people talking about the american dream, and even though that was in the 50s, and they were acting as people from the last century,  there was still such a gentle side to these people like james stewart, jeff chandler etc etc..   dont get gentle mistaken with nieve or weak, because that they werent,   but i really hate modern society where everything is toilet jokes or the `f` word, and all people care about are their apps
And no, i dont want to, or care for the amish.

I love, putting my earfones on, on a rainy day, snuggle up and watch a 1950s colour western and temporarily time travel out of this cruel cold world.

So, once again, what happened to those giant canyons, the goregous countryside, those gold rush boom towns, the thousands of miles of countryside,  all those travelling people around camp fires etc..   i know life was anything but perfect back then, especially with injuns on the warpath, but it just seems so hard to think that an entire civilisation/ culture/ is totally gone.. or unrecognisable now.
It was idealized, for sure but there WAS a certain level of respect and caring for neighbors then that is long gone now - except when each of us as individuals tries to keep it alive. The best western movie I can remember was one with Gregory Peck, Chuck Connors and Burl Ives, oh and of course Jean Simmons as the beautiful love interest!
http://en.wikipedia....The_Big_Country
It was a "big screen" kind of movie for sure. I've watched it several times over the years.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    outoftheworld

outoftheworld

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postand then, on 26 February 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

It was idealized, for sure but there WAS a certain level of respect and caring for neighbors then that is long gone now - except when each of us as individuals tries to keep it alive. The best western movie I can remember was one with Gregory Peck, Chuck Connors and Burl Ives, oh and of course Jean Simmons as the beautiful love interest!
http://en.wikipedia....The_Big_Country
It was a "big screen" kind of movie for sure. I've watched it several times over the years.

you hit the nail on the head

i am not saying life was fine, of course it had its flaws

but that sort of family everyone knows somebody, sort of community..  its just gone

we as a society, by and large are nothing like that anymore

#5    MeanieAndMe

MeanieAndMe

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• Just a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down.
    --Mary Poppins--

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

So, once again, what happened to those giant canyons, the goregous countryside, those gold rush boom towns, the thousands of miles of countryside,  all those travelling people around camp fires etc..   i know life was anything but perfect back then, especially with injuns on the warpath, but it just seems so hard to think that an entire civilisation/ culture/ is totally gone.. or unrecognisable now.[/size]]

Don't be sad!  That world is still around just visit South Dakota!  For real, there are wide open places, mountains and Badlands canyons if you go to western SD.  We have friendly neighbors, lots of horse riding and farm living.  If you want a package experience you can look on the internet and look for working dude ranches, hunting trips and fishing trips.  

We have sweet but tough people here.  Please don't be sad at all, we feel it is part of our culture to be western so it won't be gone very soon.

:yes: :yes: :yes:  MeanieAndMe

Link removed - see rule 1a.

#6    outoftheworld

outoftheworld

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostMeanieAndMe, on 26 February 2014 - 07:08 PM, said:

Don't be sad!  That world is still around just visit South Dakota!  For real, there are wide open places, mountains and Badlands canyons if you go to western SD.  We have friendly neighbors, lots of horse riding and farm living.  If you want a package experience you can look on the internet and look for working dude ranches, hunting trips and fishing trips.  

We have sweet but tough people here.  Please don't be sad at all, we feel it is part of our culture to be western so it won't be gone very soon.

:yes: :yes: :yes:  MeanieAndMe

You live there?

I know this sounds sad, but do you ever look around you and imagine swarms of apaches riding past?
Damn, im not wishing indian wars, but its so sad how all these once proud tribes who 120 years ago literally roamed and owned most of the u.s (mentally),  are now gone, and in tiny numbers, in poor conditions, yet their great grandfathers were proud warriors, who died in vain

Edited by outoftheworld, 26 February 2014 - 08:20 PM.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,727 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

View Postoutoftheworld, on 26 February 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

You live there?

I know this sounds sad, but do you ever look around you and imagine swarms of apaches riding past?
Damn, im not wishing indian wars, but its so sad how all these once proud tribes who 120 years ago literally roamed and owned most of the u.s (mentally),  are now gone, and in tiny numbers

Haha, I don't think so. Just because they don't live on reservations doesn't mean there aren't a huge population of Native Americans. Heck, a good majority of everyone that lives in the South has at least some NA blood.

My husband's grandmother was full blooded Cherokee.

Edited by Michelle, 26 February 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#8    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

It's only gone because it's taken a new form; the internet. Why talk to the neighbors next door when you can go online and "socialize" with like minded people? That's the way I see it anyways, and other than that, I really don't believe it has changed that much. I've been to a lot of states and people are good and bad anywhere you go.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#9    MordorOrc

MordorOrc

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• Evil Lurks Within...

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

It died alongside the people that created it.

You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place.
Vladimir Putin

#10    Arkitecht

Arkitecht

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

• Time's up.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

View Postandy4, on 26 February 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

It's only gone because it's taken a new form; the internet. Why talk to the neighbors next door when you can go online and "socialize" with like minded people? That's the way I see it anyways, and other than that, I really don't believe it has changed that much. I've been to a lot of states and people are good and bad anywhere you go.
...Very true.People do not socialize like they used to.They have been conditioned into the mentality that the way to make friends is to meet people on Facebook, MySpace, etc.Technology has changed the way we interact. It has also made it more impersonal in the way "friendships" are formed.Most people who "friend" you have no interest in getting to know you as much as they have an interest in collecting as many friends as possible. Have you ever noticed,when the power goes out,you start talking to all the people who are you're neighbors? There is much good to be gained with technology. But as with all thing's, there is a downside.People live in their own world.

Tempus Edax Rerum

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,727 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

There are still a lot of neighborhoods where people get together regularly, have neighborhood watches and keep an eye on each other's kids out playing. We have block parties a couple of times a year. One neighbor does a Halloween party, another has a pot luck lunch once a month and I do Christmas Day. The neighborhood kids often go around asking if they can do yard work for extra money and they voluntarily help the older people carry their groceries in for them or their garbage out to the road.

It's a virtual Norman Rockwell picture except we usually have beers or wine glasses in our hands. :lol:

Edited by Michelle, 26 February 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#12    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,574 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

It's gone because people sit around bemoaning the fact that it's gone rather than do something about it.

Of course we can't go back in time, but nothing is preventing you from being friendly, going out into the world and singing songs by a campfire or being truly kind to your neighbors etc.  People in general are not so against good things or down to earth things. I think most people are scared to go out on a limb and just be nice. Being indifferent and snarky is "cool" these days.

If you don't like it, don't be it. Don't accept it. You might be surprised how it rubs off on other people around you.

ETA comment on Michelle's post.   I bet all those nice things started as one person, or one family, deciding to include everyone in something nice and it spread. The Smith's down the block knock on doors and invite everyone to a picnic one year. The next year they have the picnic again and the Jackson's decide to open their doors on Halloween.

I think a large part of "what is wrong with society these days?" is that people are always waiting for someone else (or the government!) to start something for them.

Edited by Purplos, 26 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Embrace the impossible.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,727 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

When I moved here, in my twenties, almost everyone was elderly and most of them all knew each other. They would get together to shoot pool, trade garden seeds or whatnot, invited me in and introduced me around. When one at a time they started having to move or passed away, I kept the tradition going by making the new kids on the block a list of all the neighbor's phone numbers and having some sort of party, BBQ or something. Now most of the people are in their 20's or 30's, have kids of all ages and we are the "elders". :cry: :P

No one ever has to worry about noise complaints at parties, because when the neighbors have one everybody is invited.

Edited by Michelle, 26 February 2014 - 10:36 PM.

#14    Dougward5

Dougward5

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

• " silver bullets ain't cheap"

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Rural America still has a lot of that..honor..caring about others ...those folks who get made fun of as backwards for holding on to their God and their guns...they still  have a bit of that old school America ....let Detroit burn...perhaps when the cities fall to ruin we can start over...

#15    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,068 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:41 AM

View Postoutoftheworld, on 26 February 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

However there is a certain charm i get from watching old westerns,

You do realize your old westerns are make believe, right? They are not historical biographies. They are completely fictional, made up, hogwash. It amazing what people think is real.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users