Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are soul mates a spiritual thing or legend?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

If there is one thing I know many human souls search for on this earth it's a magical romance. Well a soul mate. Some say it's a real spiritual thing. But some people say they are just old legends and that soul mates don't exist ?

Do you think soul mates exist and why???

I personally used to believe in them. But lately I am not so sure about this....

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM

My collection of true and fiction ghost and ouija stories, horror movie reviews etc.
http://ouijaghosts.blogspot.com/

#2    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• 1,001 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

I believe it to be a chemical reaction in the body that makes it feel special. As we get older, not only do hormones weaken, but we become disillusioned by the battery of failed relationships. I believe that is why people under 25 typically believe in 'soul mates' and people over that age use 'soul mates' as an excuse to get sexual action.
Outside of that, if it were true that soul mates exist, what are the odds that you would find yours in a world population?

Basically, the fairy tale just doesn't make sense.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#3    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• 1,113 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I agree. I also think the idea of love and soul mates is big money.
All these love advice shows, and books etc.

None of them know what they are talking about. But they will cash in on younger people.

I think there is a spiritual legend that soul mates where one two humans as one.
the man and woman. But then got separated. Then it legend goes
that both halfs wander the earth trying to find their soul mate....

I am not over 30.. yet a part of me wants to believe in soul mates...

It is true that love is a chemical reaction in the brain that is stronger than the drug Heroin....

it just makes me think does anyone truly fall in love to feel like they are on Heroin?
truly a mysterious thing..

Do you Fear The Ouija?

My collection of true and fiction ghost and ouija stories, horror movie reviews etc.

#4    RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel

Is he hiding nuts or just plain nuts?

• 1,001 posts

• "I have no idea."
    Nex prius vestis!
    I am terminally curious.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Well, love itself is an amazing thing.  I do believe in 'true love', but I view it very differently than Hollywood/popculture.
Everyone wants to feel special, set apart from others. This 'soul mate' thing helps us feel better about ourselves. As a slightly personal question, how many relationships have you been in? You do not have to answer, it's more about being truthful to yourself.

Me? Too many failed relationships. I got married a few years back and I will say that my wife is NOT my soulmate. She is my balance, but we knew about the arguing, troubles and such. She stayed with me when I fell into a very bad place (emotionally) and kept me alive when I was actively starving myself.

When my friends start spouting about "true love" or "soul mates" I ask a simple question: "Would they still be your soul mate or true love if they were in a terrible accident where you had to care for them? Wipe their posterior? Feed them? Not have relations?"

It's something to think about.

Posted Image   I support the majestic Pacific Northwest tree Octopus.

#5    Awake2Chaos

Awake2Chaos

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

I think that we have soul mates in the sense that, out of all the people in the world, hopefully you will be lucky to find a handful that you genuinely love and click with.

Do I think it means your souls were literally a pair that were separated and destined to be together?  

No.

But I do think that when you find the ultimate partner in compatibility, you know it.  I knew it when I met my husband, and I would consider him one of my 'soul mates'.

My father and a childhood friend of mine would be some others.

Soul mates aren't necessarily lovers.  They can be anyone; mother, father, child, husband, wife, friend.

#6    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe"

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

First, one must assume there is a soul.

Therefore I find the idea of sould mates a nice bed time story for princesses.

Soul mates as in what Awake mentioned. Yes definity, there is aways someone on this planet that will stimulate all or senses the most.

:)

Watch this space

#7    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,940 posts

• Don't speak to me of "peace" while you are sharpening your blades.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I do not think there is just "one" person out there for the other who is seeking. A person can find many people with whom they get along with very well.

It's a mind thing I guess, a nice illusion but if you are in the mood for a relationship then you have to make the first moves and no one is just gonna come flying in through your window and say "Hi. I'm your soul mate. Let's skip all the pleasantries and get married, whaddya say?".

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,532 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

I don't know. There are people who I connect with at a deep level.  Even then people change and sometimes you drift apart.  Sometimes you fall in love and they do not. Humans are complex creatures. If you wait around for the perfect person you miss the one who might be your balance.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• 1,749 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:31 PM

You know, Edgar Cayce had an interesting view on soul mates.

Based on his psychic readings he taught that souls tend to incarnate together in clusters; group-souls if you will. They incarnate together to work out karma from previous lives and to continue the work of the evolution of the soul from life to life. These souls help us in our spiritual progression. So, according to his view, the very people that are significant in your life right now have probably been there in previous lives as well; but perhaps occupying different roles from incarnation to incarnation, as Awake2Chaos said. Your lover in this life might be your brother or sister in the next life, depending on what is needed for the evolution of the soul.

I like this idea that we've all known each other before.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,618 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

I have met a number of people that believe  their soul mates are not lovers. Sometimes it's a parent child relationship, sometimes a brother sister relationship, sometimes a platonic friendship.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#11    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,327 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don't know if I believe in soul mates.  Maybe difficult and messy karma exists between souls.  This is all I seem to have.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#12    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

I doubt it. I am sure of one thing though, people who have found their 'soul mate' are completely insufferable. :P

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#13    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

Government Agent

• 3,706 posts

• ", because in most cases men willingly believe what they wish."-Julius Caesar 'De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18'

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

There is plenty of biology that gets in the way for soul this, or soul that.

Posted Image
Leviticus 14 2 Peter 1:16
http://m.youtube.com...h?v=MzrIHdN9O7M <-- "Ten Lies About Jesus"
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "The Mythical Jesus"
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <--Science of belief

#14    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• 1,113 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

View PostRedSquirrel, on 26 February 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Well, love itself is an amazing thing.  I do believe in 'true love', but I view it very differently than Hollywood/popculture.
Everyone wants to feel special, set apart from others. This 'soul mate' thing helps us feel better about ourselves. As a slightly personal question, how many relationships have you been in? You do not have to answer, it's more about being truthful to yourself.

Me? Too many failed relationships. I got married a few years back and I will say that my wife is NOT my soulmate. She is my balance, but we knew about the arguing, troubles and such. She stayed with me when I fell into a very bad place (emotionally) and kept me alive when I was actively starving myself.

When my friends start spouting about "true love" or "soul mates" I ask a simple question: "Would they still be your soul mate or true love if they were in a terrible accident where you had to care for them? Wipe their posterior? Feed them? Not have relations?"

It's something to think about.

I've been in one relationship ...
well the only real one that lasted two years....

I thought she was my soul mate.....
I think I felt the heroin love....

After we broke up.. i had to "kill" the heroin...
high.... or in love feeling.. for her....

From there I went into anger, and darkness...
but i sparked a drive in me to get things done
and accomplish goals...

But now I am in a state of bliss, and inner peace, and self empowerment...

I have also learned not to give my heart and soul completely to anyone..
for no one deserves that much....

But I am wise enough now to know..
that i am a powerful being for being happy and content alone...

If true love exists. and it is my destiny to find it...
then i will... but.. yet I don't long for it.. or "need" it...

I seek spiritual powers and wisdom now...
i would like to travel forests and many lands. while drinking potions...
i feel that is my destiny...

Do you Fear The Ouija?

#15    camnumber1

camnumber1

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I've been in one relationship ...
well the only real one that lasted two years....

I thought she was my soul mate.....
I think I felt the heroin love....

After we broke up.. i had to "kill" the heroin...
high.... or in love feeling.. for her....

From there I went into anger, and darkness...
but i sparked a drive in me to get things done
and accomplish goals...

But now I am in a state of bliss, and inner peace, and self empowerment...

I have also learned not to give my heart and soul completely to anyone..
for no one deserves that much....

But I am wise enough now to know..
that i am a powerful being for being happy and content alone...

If true love exists. and it is my destiny to find it...
then i will... but.. yet I don't long for it.. or "need" it...

I seek spiritual powers and wisdom now...
i would like to travel forests and many lands. while drinking potions...
i feel that is my destiny...

wow...this is what I'm going through.after a 17 year relationship I've found it so difficult to kill that love "high".I went through a long period (about 7 month) where all I did was get smashed.. it doesn't help.I'm currently trying to get back on my true path...i still have the odd time where I get a little down but nowhere near what I went through before.I myself believe that if I'm destined to have true love then I will  but like u I'm not looking.just enjoying the now.I'd like to walk through forests drinking potions shaman style :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users