Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rolls-Royce is developing drone cargo ships

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,184 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

From the article:

Drones are already patrolling the skies, and eventually Rolls-Royce wants to see them take over the seas too. According to Bloomberg, Rolls-Royce Holdings is developing unmanned cargo ships that can be remotely controlled by captains using a virtual-reality recreation of a vessel's bridge. Development on the ships began last year, and it expects the unmanned ships to eventually offer a safer, cleaner, and less-expensive option for moving cargo.

"Now the technology is at the level where we can make this happen, and society is moving in this direction," Oskar Levander, a marine engineering and technology executive at Rolls-Royce, tells Bloomberg. "If we want marine to do this, now is the time to move."
While now may be Rolls-Royce's time to start moving, it's far from the time when these ships will set sail. As Bloomberg points out, there are quite a few regulatory and financial hurdles in the way of unmanned vessels, including international minimum crew requirements and an ineligibility for being insured by major providers. And, as when it comes to self-driving cars taking over the roads, there are already plenty of concerns about what could go wrong when humans are removed from the picture.

Read the rest here

#2    emilymainzer

emilymainzer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

Well lots of buzz around the web on this drone ships that it weighs less. But if we see this source which says that it costs €3.5m to develop a autonomous ship. Isn't that much expensive?

#3    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Excellent, let's create more unemployment!

I have no problem with the advent of automation replacing human operation except that, in cases such as the OP describes, it is largely to eliminate the cost of employing people. Without any program to replace that employment, such automation only ends up benefitting a very few, while costing the majority more.

Edited by Leonardo, 05 March 2014 - 12:24 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#4    eaglesareskykittens

eaglesareskykittens

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• People say you can't live without love....
    ....I think Oxygen is more important.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Well cargo ships can have rather inhumane working conditions , depending on the flag they sail on, so I guess drone ships could help eliminate that maybe, probably not.  Still I am skeptical about this, Ships already have enough negative impact on the environment. I mean how is a drone gone to avoid hitting a whale?

#5    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

This has been a dream of the shipping industry for years now. Crewless ships able to deliver cargo. Wonder how they would handle pirates?

#6    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Forum Divinity

• 10,579 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 08 March 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

This has been a dream of the shipping industry for years now. Crewless ships able to deliver cargo. Wonder how they would handle pirates?
Drones?

#7    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about private companies being able to operate armed drones, but that is a possibility.

#8    eaglesareskykittens

eaglesareskykittens

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• People say you can't live without love....
    ....I think Oxygen is more important.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 08 March 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:

That is a really good question, wonder if anyone has thought about it besides you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users