Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Kepler Mission: 715 New Planets Discovered

exoplanets kepler kepler-296f nasa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,076 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

NASA's Kepler Mission Announces a Planet Bonanza, 715 New Worlds

www.nasa.gov said:

NASA's Kepler mission announced Wednesday the discovery of 715 new planets. These newly-verified worlds orbit 305 stars, revealing multiple-planet systems much like our own solar system.

Nearly 95 percent of these planets are smaller than Neptune, which is almost four times the size of Earth. This discovery marks a significant increase in the number of known small-sized planets more akin to Earth than previously identified exoplanets, which are planets outside our solar system.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,076 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

ScienceCasts: A Sudden Multiplication of Planets

Details can be found at http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/

Visit http://science.nasa.gov/ for more.

Today, NASA announced a breakthrough addition to the catalog of new planets. Researchers using Kepler have confirmed 715 new worlds, almost quadrupling the number of planets previously confirmed by the planet-hunting spacecraft. Some of the new worlds are similar in size to Earth and orbit in the habitable zone of their parent stars.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,865 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Oustanding find.

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,927 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

That is amazing!!!

Now all we need is some way to get out there quick. Quicker then thousands of years anyway.

I'd volunteer to go on an exploration mission to the stars, but my Wife says I can't go even to settle the Moon till she passes away and the Kids are all grown and settled. So that could be like 40 or 50 more years. Hopefully, I'll not be too old then. Come on science, I'm counting on you to keep me healthy enough to go to space in my 90s.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Wow 715 newbies and 4 in the goldilocks zone, hmm interesting. :alien:

#6    mister

mister

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Cool! Now this is exciting.

#7    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 34,819 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Absolutely brilliant, however, this is how Kepler works isn't it? Some candidates take more than a year to orbit their suns, so it's a long wait between confirmations? I would think this would be continuing for some time even in those solar systems, Neptune takes 165 years to complete an orbit, so confirmation might be up to over 300 years to properly map a system like ours. With multiple missions happening at once, one would expect a rash of short orbit planets to come out all at once I would think?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#8    Astra-

Astra-

Xanadu

• 2,588 posts

• The key to success is to never stop learning.

The key to failure is to think you know it all.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

Wow! very cool...

Posted Image

#9    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,139 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Awesome indeed,there has to be some short of life on some of these planets.we are not the only planet with life on it

#10    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

I have to wonder if the nearly infinite number of probabilistic events that evolved a sentient human being will be recreated in another world. Maybe so, maybe not. But, if we find we are truly unique, I believe that will be equally enlightening. Astronomy will have provided the final bridge to understanding the importance of every one of us on this planet.

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,076 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

View Posthighdesert50, on 01 March 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

I have to wonder if the nearly infinite number of probabilistic events that evolved a sentient human being will be recreated in another world. Maybe so, maybe not.
Even if sentient life is common humans will still be unique. The almost infinite variety that evolution offers means that whilst it may produce similar solutions for similar problems ( we see examples of parallel evolution on Earth) it will not produce exactly the same answer twice.

Whether sentient life is common or rare, humanity is unique.

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,927 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 March 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Even if sentient life is common humans will still be unique. The almost infinite variety that evolution offers means that whilst it may produce similar solutions for similar problems ( we see examples of parallel evolution on Earth) it will not produce exactly the same answer twice.

Whether sentient life is common or rare, humanity is unique.

Unless... And I am not saying this is true... the ETs get involved and guide development. :alien:  :innocent:

Otherwise, I'd agree and say that every planet with life would have life that would have developed very differently from anywhere else.

Edited by DieChecker, 02 March 2014 - 09:11 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,076 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 02 March 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Unless... And I am not saying this is true... the ETs get involved and guide development. :alien:  :innocent:
I'm glad you are not saying that it is true because this is the science section, not the third rate science FICTION section.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users