Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Obama warns Russia

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#1    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

http://www.theblaze....y-enter-crimea/
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is warning Russia there will be costs if Russia intervenes militarily in Ukraine.

Obama says the U.S. is deeply concerned by reports of military movements by Russia inside Ukraine.

He says any violation of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity would be destabilizing. He says it would violate Russia’s commitment to respect Ukraine’s borders and would invite global condemnation.

So what costs? They've already violated the sovereignty.

Posted Image

#2    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

A few billion maybe to look the other way?

#3    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:57 AM

I don't know but I don't think Russia really gives a crap about condemnation.

Posted Image

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 2,050 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

Hmmm, let's see, KGB trained Russian leader vs. community organizer. Maybe Obama can vote "present." Maybe he'll draw another red line. Maybe he'll send Ketchup man Kerry over. Oooooo, that will scare ol' Vlad. By the way, the Russians now have a warship parked in Cuba just 89 miles from the U.S., that by itself is not unusual, but normally they tell the U.S.; this time they didn't say boo. And a dozen Russian helicopters were on video today heading into the Ukraine. Meanwhile we are talking cuts to our military and downsizing. Don't worry though, Obama will make a speech and wag a finger and it all will magically go away.

#5    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 7,472 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostSundew, on 01 March 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

Meanwhile we are talking cuts to our military and downsizing.

I don't want a fight with Russia but downsizing is never a good idea when you're US. We have too many adversaries and you never know what's around the bend.

Posted Image

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,004 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

POPULAR

YEAH I agree with Obama.
America is the only country that's allowed to act unilaterally inside another country in order to secure it's own interests!

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power, there will be peace.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Russia has told us to do the same thing in regards to Syria, so why can't we do the same in regards to Russia and Ukraine? Put it this way, if the USA were to try and intervene, don't you think Russia would say the same thing to the USA? I understand that Russia and the Ukraine are right next to each other, but Russia is also sounding somewhat hypocritical here.

I also wouldn't be so worried about the military downsizing anyways, I mean, look at the polls for any military intervention we've seen and hypothetically seen, the public does not want that at all anyways. It's not really downsizing anyways as much as trimming the fat, from what I've read. Not to mention it will save money! Where is the pat on the back for Obama on that one? Isn't that a major talking point for republicans against Obama?

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#8    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 01 March 2014 - 02:51 AM, said:

YEAH I agree with Obama.
America is the only country that's allowed to act unilaterally inside another country in order to secure it's own interests!

When has that actually happened since he's been president? If I remember correctly, it never has.

Love your brother as yourself, because you know what? He IS yourself, literally.- Bill Hicks

Dream argument

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,007 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

View Postandy4, on 01 March 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Russia has told us to do the same thing in regards to Syria, so why can't we do the same in regards to Russia and Ukraine? Put it this way, if the USA were to try and intervene, don't you think Russia would say the same thing to the USA? I understand that Russia and the Ukraine are right next to each other, but Russia is also sounding somewhat hypocritical here.

I also wouldn't be so worried about the military downsizing anyways, I mean, look at the polls for any military intervention we've seen and hypothetically seen, the public does not want that at all anyways. It's not really downsizing anyways as much as trimming the fat, from what I've read. Not to mention it will save money! Where is the pat on the back for Obama on that one? Isn't that a major talking point for republicans against Obama?
You don't REALLY expect that money to be used to pay down debt, do you Andy?  It will just be spent elsewhere.  Excuse me, I mean "invested"....

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#10    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

View Postandy4, on 01 March 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

When has that actually happened since he's been president? If I remember correctly, it never has.

No, Obama just carries the torch as will the next President. Both Russia and the US are hovering like vultures.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#11    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

View Postand then, on 01 March 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

You don't REALLY expect that money to be used to pay down debt, do you Andy?  It will just be spent elsewhere.  Excuse me, I mean "invested"....

Isn't it better than spending it on useless endeavors such as wars? Doesn't matter, as long as we are saving.

Dream argument

#12    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,007 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

View Postandy4, on 01 March 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Isn't it better than spending it on useless endeavors such as wars? Doesn't matter, as long as we are saving.
I agree that I'd rather spend it on constructive things but I think that simply categorizing all wars as useless is short sighted.  As Russia's actions today and al Queda's a few years ago prove, we do not always get to choose the time and places we will fight. Obama wants to reduce the force to a level where "adventurism" will be impossible. If he isn't careful, neither will defense from attack be possible.  The idea that the US can just pull back without consequences is in error I think.  Nature hates a vacuum. China Russia and the EU will gladly attempt to exert their control  when America steps aside.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#13    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

View Postand then, on 01 March 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

I agree that I'd rather spend it on constructive things but I think that simply categorizing all wars as useless is short sighted.  As Russia's actions today and al Queda's a few years ago prove, we do not always get to choose the time and places we will fight. Obama wants to reduce the force to a level where "adventurism" will be impossible. If he isn't careful, neither will defense from attack be possible.  The idea that the US can just pull back without consequences is in error I think.  Nature hates a vacuum. China Russia and the EU will gladly attempt to exert their control  when America steps aside.

I meant wars as in, since Obama has been president. You're right, we don't get to choose when we fight wars, but so far none in the last few years have been very constructive and haven't accomplished all that much, with the exception of killing Bin Laden.

So than let them take the forefront on things like that, we really don't need to and all it does is drain the economy of money better spent elsewhere.

We aren't in any way going to be defenseless however, because nobody can attack us on our own soil, and the spending cuts, from what I've read, will most likely bolster national security anyways.

Dream argument

#14    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Seeker of knowledge

• 2,078 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

View Postandy4, on 01 March 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Does Pakistan ring a bell?  Or the fact it's done with drone strikes and not helicopters and boots on the ground... it doesn't count?

We have a rich history of saying "do as I say, not as I do"...

AND...Syria was never a province of Russia as the Ukraine was...there are a LOT of people in Ukraine that still hold Russia favorably...

My opinion...keep our nose out.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#15    andy4

andy4

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

View PostJeremiah65, on 01 March 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

What you talkin' bout Willis?

Does Pakistan ring a bell?  Or the fact it's done with drone strikes and not helicopters and boots on the ground... it doesn't count?

We have a rich history of saying "do as I say, not as I do"...

AND...Syria was never a province of Russia as the Ukraine was...there are a LOT of people in Ukraine that still hold Russia favorably...

My opinion...keep our nose out.

I do disagree with drone strikes, but it is very different than having boots on the ground. Yep, we do have a rich history of saying that, and I also disagree with what we do as far as that is concerned. We are keeping our nose out, just saying that we think it's a bad idea for them to do that, especially when that same country calls you out for virtually the same thing.

Actions speak louder than words, and so far the only one taking action is Russia.

Dream argument

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users