Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    thedutchiedutch

thedutchiedutch

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

• One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.
    Bob Marley

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

The largest aircraft ever seen as its British creators promised they could deliver up to 1,000 more
and transform how the world responds to international disasters.

Sitting in the only "shed" in the country big enough to accommodate it – one of the two Cardington Hangers
that dominate the Bedfordshire landscape – the 302ft (92m) Airlander is part plane, airship and helicopter.
It can stay in the air for up to three weeks unmanned and is capable of touching down on land or sea.

Link to full article : http://www.independe...ft-9161099.html

So do I have time for a last smoke and a pancake or what?

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,140 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:02 AM

The government has donated 2.5 million to this "balloon" project which cost 30 million to build, they hope it will help in future international disasters, well Syria is currently an international disaster, so will this be flying off there soon?.......32.5 million would have gone a lot further to help the flood drenched areas of Britain, and sort out a few starving people around the world too....for ever!
I would like to see this "balloon" take off in the storms to help those watching their homes being swept away.....jeeze, How can anything with a helium filled balloon ontop of it, which cost 30 million pounds, be called green?

Edited by freetoroam, 02 March 2014 - 06:02 AM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,016 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

A similar project was launched in Germany in the 90s by a company named CARGOLIFTER, ending up in insolvency in 2002.
Even if such equipment will be established I´m not sure if there is a market existing that will provide an adequate sales volume
in competition to freight vessels and freight A/C, or can compete against the shipping charges of the established cargo systems.
And weather is a main issue for airships as well.

http://en.wikipedia....fter#Insolvency

Edited by toast, 02 March 2014 - 10:21 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#4    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,208 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

When you said 'hybrid', I immediately visualised a huge Prius with wings.  Dang, those batteries would make it hard to get off the ground..

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#5    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,208 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

BTW, I still think hovercraft are the way to go.  They can't fall out of the sky, they can travel over land, water, ice, snow, swamps, marshlands etc, they don't need good roads (indeed anything that ever was a road is fine, no matter how rough..) they don't need good weather (although it helps their speed potential at sea) and they use less energy than boats or trucks.  Plus a big one will run over you and leave you essentially unharmed, just knocked to the ground by the air blast or the soft skirt...

Their only problems are that they aren't all that good at going over mountain ranges or huge seas, aren't as fast as aircraft and can be a tiny bit tricky to maneuver or brake..

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#6    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,922 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

This was originally a Military Project for the US DoD to supply a reconnaissance platform above areas of conflict (specifically in this case for Afghanistan). It was to remain "on - station" for 21 days at a height of 20,000 feet supplying ground movement data.  I know this because I produced the Functional Safety Case report for H.A.V. The investment came from the USA DoD directly until its funding was cut in a round of general Defense spending reductions.

H.A.V. re  - purchased the craft recently.

What is interesting about these craft is that they can be designed to lift up to 1000 tonnes of cargo - now that would make an immense difference in disaster relief

I am also withChrLzs with the hovercraft because it is in serious need of major forward development ever since the scrapping of the last
SRN4. (Image courtesy of Ferryantastic.webs.com)

Posted Image

Edited by keithisco, 05 March 2014 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users