Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Hodags

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Hectosaucer

Hectosaucer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

I remember reading about these folklore creatures, native to Wisconsin, in an old library book back in 2nd or 3rd grade, and since then it always been one of my favorite cryptid animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hodag

I even went so far as to go searching for it while on a camping trip as a kid.

Though it probably didn't exist, some folk legends have truth to them, right?

#2    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

It's cool to learn about these little localized myths. I doubt there is any truth to it however after reading the origins of the lore. It seems like a would-be P. T. Barnum attempted to cash-in on his own Fiji Mermaid. Then Rhinelander decided make some tourism bucks off of the whole deal. It is interesting to learn the history of little things like this.

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#3    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

Sounds like something you'd be slapped for if you called a lady that.

#4    Dumpnuts

Dumpnuts

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

• "Absolute Hogwash" ,Jay Utah by care of ChrLzs

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostPlanB, on 03 March 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Sounds like something you'd be slapped for if you called a lady that.
Shut up Hodags! I know it!
Posted Image

"You guys, you gotta make it sexy. Hips and nips! Otherwise I'm not eating."

Rickety Cricket

#5    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,777 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

I guess there must be people from Wisconsin living in Oregon, because the Hodag is part of the Oregon mythic critter loggers lore also.

There is even a tree planting tool that is called a hoedad, which many around here call a hodag instead.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#6    Hectosaucer

Hectosaucer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

The Monster Spotter's Guide by Scott Francis is a fun book that features the Hodag as well as a plethora of other obscure folkloric monsters.

#7    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Proof!

thumbnail_58999.png

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#8    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

We have a local cryptid, well...sort of, it's called the "Palmetto Bug".  It's a giant cochroach that is 2-3 times larger than the standard household cochroach, and these "Palmetto Bugs" can fly, hit you in the face, knock you off a bike, etc. I've had firsthand experience with those a few times.

My grandma used to tell me about them, I thought it was BS until I did some reasearch a few years ago. They're called "Woods Cochroach", and they're armored...resistant to many pesticides, they're one tough hombre, haha.

Edited by WoIverine, 04 March 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#9    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Heh, the old American folklore monsters are the best. Check out some of the other ones here, they're hilarious.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 04 March 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

We have a local cryptid, well...sort of, it's called the "Palmetto Bug".  It's a giant cochroach that is 2-3 times larger than the standard household cochroach, and these "Palmetto Bugs" can fly, hit you in the face, knock you off a bike, etc. I've had firsthand experience with those a few times.

My grandma used to tell me about them, I thought it was BS until I did some reasearch a few years ago. They're called "Woods Cochroach", and they're armored...resistant to many pesticides, they're one tough hombre, haha.

I don't think that really rises to the level of cryptid does it?  I always just called them tree roaches.  I think I first heard the Palmetto Bug moniker in college and it was explained as a "nice" way to say you have roaches.  Kind of like how women don't sweat, they glisten.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#11    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostRafterman, on 04 March 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

I don't think that really rises to the level of cryptid does it?  I always just called them tree roaches.  I think I first heard the Palmetto Bug moniker in college and it was explained as a "nice" way to say you have roaches.  Kind of like how women don't sweat, they glisten.

Yeah, true, not a cryptid by nature. But the local moniker somewhat applies. I had never heard "palmetto bug" anywhere else lol.

#12    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,127 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Had to kill it with dynamite.  Sounds like you could make a great cheesey movie out of that story.

#13    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:31 PM

Ugh when I used to live in Florida Palmetto bugs scared the life out of me.  Chupacabra and Bigfoot left me the hell alone, so I guess that's why I am more afraid of bugs.

#14    Hectosaucer

Hectosaucer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Interesting. Sound like some locusts I've encountered.

#15    eaglesareskykittens

eaglesareskykittens

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• People say you can't live without love....
    ....I think Oxygen is more important.

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Palmetto bugs are terrifying, amazing, but terrifying. And yeah dynamite is required, or a cat.

Edited by eaglesareskykittens, 05 March 2014 - 10:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users