Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Scientists probe out-of-body experiences

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

For the first time a brain scan has revealed what happens when someone is undertaking an 'astral trip'.

Reports of people 'projecting' from their physical selves and being able to view their own body while floating above it have persisted for years, both as part of near-death experiences and through self-initiated 'astral projection' techniques.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ody-experiences

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,400 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

My take on this is the experience is fully internalised. Rather than being 'out-of-body' the subject is perceiving these images within the brain in a 3-D 'map' of what their senses have interpreted as being either their immediate surroundings, or some location they imagine or have previously viewed via some other, mundane, means.

The sensation of being 'out-of-body' is an illusion brought about by how we perceive.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    MiroBG

MiroBG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• I come in peace

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Deep meditation can achieve this.

#4    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I was hoping for more.  I would be nice to brain wave readings as well.

But in not the least bit surprised. Typical energy work involves improving your spacial awareness.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 08 March 2014 - 02:58 PM, said:

My take on this is the experience is fully internalised. Rather than being 'out-of-body' the subject is perceiving these images within the brain in a 3-D 'map' of what their senses have interpreted as being either their immediate surroundings, or some location they imagine or have previously viewed via some other, mundane, means.

The sensation of being 'out-of-body' is an illusion brought about by how we perceive.
I don't think it's out of body either. Most people that are proficient at this would say they see it as an expansion of awareness rather than a separating of consciousness. The feeling of being separate  is a necessary contextual interpretation of a mind used to understanding 3d environments.

Edited by White Crane Feather, 08 March 2014 - 05:16 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,765 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Even with this new evidence, It's still speculation on both sides of the coin. Still don't have the bullets for the gun.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve.
But to much skepticism can make you narrow minded to extraordinary possibilities.

#7    FizzPuff

FizzPuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Well; it's about time people look more into this. It's such an interesting subject. Hope they find out more about it.

#8    XenoFish

XenoFish

Back from the dead

• 6,240 posts

• Someone should stab you in eye with a really hot french fry.

It's all in your head, just depends on how big your head is.

The world is dumb enough, don't add to it!

#9    FizzPuff

FizzPuff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

It appears my browser hiccuped and posted the same thing twice...ugh.

Edited by FizzPuff, 08 March 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#10    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

I have an out of body experience whenever I eat Chile Relleno. My favorite dish ever.

[media='funny-pic'][/media]

#11    NightScreams

NightScreams

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

• Eat in moderation.
    Practice self control.
    Never have firm beliefs.
    Keep an open mind.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

I had one once. The amount of detail you can see is more like being awake than any dream is. Real or not it's certainly a unique experience when you have one. I could even feel things behind the wall, I could feel nails and insulation and even the brick on the other side. I could sense pressure and feel texture but no pain and nearly 20 years later can still recall every detail like it happened yesterday. I slammed pretty hard back into my body and it jerked me awake, kinda similar fashion to if you experience sleep paralysis. I had a few Lucid dreams over the years but even those didn't have the same awake feeling.

#12    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Of course if there something out of  body is happening its going to have to interface with the brain for a memory to even exist. The imagining done on this subject is interesting because if you look at the other NDE threads, animal testing has proven to us that blood flow upon cardiac arrest is non existent, and NDEs ( a type of OBE) can't possibly be counting as a result of blood flow. The interesting thing is that real time brain imaging is conducted by inserting a slightly radio active die into the blood. Then the imager pics up where the blood concentrates.

To conclude that OBEs are all in the head as a result of images built on blood flow collecting in certain parts of the brain flies in the face of the fact that the most researched, vivid, and life changing type of OBE seems to happen when there is no blood flow.

Bruce Lee-

#13    XenoFish

XenoFish

Back from the dead

• 6,240 posts

• Someone should stab you in eye with a really hot french fry.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:14 AM

Could always be the effect of the brain dying. They say life flashes before our eyes as we die.

The world is dumb enough, don't add to it!

#14    MyOtherAccount

MyOtherAccount

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Its not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from here.

• There are two things in life that are certain; the normal and the paranormal.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

I, too, am glad people who have an fMRI have done enough research to acquire scans that support the experiences she has. Hopefully it is the same thing others have related.

Although the experiment records her brain activity and gives a measure of authenticity to such occurrences, IMO, that is as far as it goes. However, finally people in the scientific and medical communities can associate with the topic with far less criticism from their peers. I imagine lots of experiments will come about hereafter.

The experimenters, or the author, have taken a great deal of liberty itemizing further conclusions they think can be drawn. Where is the proof that there is or is not consciousness fully contained in the body or partially extended beyond her body. Do fMRIs detect consciousness? What does the paranormal appear like on an fMRI? How do you know when it is or is not present?

These may seem like a rediculous set of questions, but they reveal that the conclusions made are equally far fetched.

Wouldn't it be brilliant to expand the experiment further by providing a visual item picked by a double blind, random, verifiable device, like has been done for so long in ESP experiments. The item would also need to associate with some other kind of living thing to be of interest in that state of mind.

Remember the cardiac surgical room where they attempted to study OBEs? They placed cards with geometric shapes on them in the corners of the room. It may have worked if the symbols were atop the hats of the surgical caps them surgical teams wore.

Man is more interested in other living things than corners of rooms and of all things, geometric symbols--perhaps a drawing of a wheelchair.

Is Dark Energy the remains of the 96% of matter-antimatter reactions immediately after the Big Bang?

#15    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,192 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

My cousin had a out of body experience during a yoga session. He was marked for the rest of his life. Very positive and self equilibrated person he has become. After seeing the body laid flat on the floor he felt being pushed with an extreme force like by a powerful spring. Then he has mentioned feeling pains throughout all of finger nails. I believed him. These were symptoms nobody experienced so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users