Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The nature and danger of the paranormal

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Deepthunk

Deepthunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

Based on any number of facts I’m aware of, I think it’s clear that quantum entanglement is the explanation for the extra sensory phenomena reported by any number of individuals and statistical evidence of such noted in any number of studies.

To my thinking, if quantum entanglement explains extra sensory phenomena, it might also explain other so called paranormal phenomena, namely the existence of an afterlife or “spirits” if you prefer. It’s entirely possible that information within the central nervous system survives as quantum states between entangled electrons. Since all electrons are naturally entangled with all other electrons, these entanglements may form a type of other space that exists within the entanglements of electrons in real space.

If the above is in fact true, it may be possible to detect, electronically record, and even effect entities and objects within entangled space using a specially designed entanglement interface for a computer or other electronic device. While such an interface is far from being available “over the shelf”, research into quantum engagement devices for the telecommunications and computing may yield (or may even have already yielded) an avenue to develop such an interface in the surprisingly near future.

Having said all that however, I would also point out that in such an afterlife, it would and must be incredibly dangerous for the average person. The reason is that everyone who ever lived is there. Nearly everyone in the past was fanatically religious and many were just as fanatically racist and intolerant of gays and lesbians and it is entirely probable such attitudes never changed since such attitudes rarely changed in life, but such individuals died off leaving society to move forward. Even though society has moved forward, such prejudices are so deeply rooted in the minds of  people who lived fifty years ago or more, that they will likely never change, therefore the afterlife must be and is rife with the intolerances of the past.

It would be foolish in the extreme to assume that some deity sits in control of the afterlife; history has clearly demonstrated that natural disasters, social upheavals, and personal maladies accrue due to random or natural forces that are explained, regardless of what religious beliefs societies or individuals maintain. That being the case, it’s clear that no deity rules over the living, or corporeal world, so what reason other than blind faith in a religion, would there be to assume a deity rules or an afterlife? Well other may have blind faith, but I consider blind faith to be, by it’s very nature, blindness.

That being the case, the afterlife must be ruled by people of the past, even the distant past. With the issue being the afterlife, and with respect to the amount of political power churches have had in the past, it would be most probable that any government in the afterlife would be an extremist theocratic regime. All those who founded, for example, the Catholic Church in 325 A.D. and ran it during the Spanish inquisition or during World War 2 when the church blessed the Nazi’s, would still be present and deeply entrenched in power. Indeed, I believe they do rule, with a very specific hierarchy whereby Catholicism is the most powerful and in direct control, and all others down to the smallest Christian church's falling beneath them.

While many so called “psychics” might believe the “spirit world” is some magical happy fun land where goodness always prevails, human history has shown that such utopian ideals are never more than fantasy, reality is always darker, and often much, MUCH darker. Such psychics who would profess such “spirit world” nonsense are most likely either lying charlatans, or completely mislead.

Given the nature of the people of the past and the certainty that the afterlife is governed by a totalitarian theocratic regime, I think it might be vitally important that such afterlife be empirically proven and carefully examined as soon as possible.

Since the tolerance of modern American society would be completely intolerated by people of just a hundred years ago, and given the nature of religious extremism as well as fact that religious extremism rules the non-corporeal world, it may be a matter of the safety of modern people that such an afterlife is proven to exist, carefully examined by impartial professionals aware of the danger and nature of religious extremism, and governed by the modern American government.

#2    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

inadequate

• 10,560 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

How very depressing if true :hmm:

'What she prayed for was nothing. She prayed that God would look on them and see the beauty of their existence .................... and leave them alone.'  from 'Bel Canto' by Ann Patchett

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,721 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Who says the afterlife has to have anything to do with religion.  Maybe its just a natural transition unique to life on this planet.  If it does have anything to do with religion then is there going to be a war over which religion is the right religion in the afterlife.

I have seen a ghost of a cat, she didn't seem unhappy, so the afterlife isn't just for humans..

#4    wayne a vanpatten

wayne a vanpatten

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

one day i was meditating and i saw an entity that was the outline of a person but it looked like fuzz on a blurry  tv it walked in my room and when it moved it felt like i was a magnet getting pushed away from it .then it got on top of me and it felt like a pile of bricks on me so i said JESUS get this demon out of my home and like that it was gone. since then i have a strong belief in CHRIST>.

#5    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Wow.  That's one interesting hypothesis.  That's really all I can say about that.

#6    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

I often ponder along the lines of that box. I wonder if hell is real, who the hell runs security and stokes the furnaces and doles out the punishment? What is their payment scheme and holiday pay and sickness pay? Fire ain't inherently bad, it just reacts and digests shiz, I find it beautiful when it is controlled, I don't think it's necessary to lather it in such a place of bad vibes, quite unfair. I don't know all that much about brimstone so that can hover about there, Dick Cheney n' Brimstone seems a more apt combination, infinite Cheney's wavering and roaring away coating the unhallowed halls. It stands to reason that many folks have escaped hell if it exists, unless there is a doomed cosmic glue or paradox or unshakeable chains that bind and affix the sinner to that location.

And where the heck IS it? Where is heaven relative to it? Is everyone in heaven kinda sedated since it's supposed to be peaceful and utopian? It to me is an unfathomable context that such a slab of humanity could reach such a simple solution when life on earth, even in the cosiest neighbourhood, is diverse and confrontational. I dunno, this all freaks me out, I am a simple guy.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#7    Anthony North

Anthony North

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

• There's only one truth. There isn't one.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Theoretically, I view such paranormal phenomena in terms of inter-related levels of consciousness, each of a higher order than the lower one, but allowing access to the one higher, similar to the process with inter-related ecosystems. Put simply, consider 7 basic levels - the individual, consensus, species, planet, solar system, galaxy & universe. In terms of afterlife, I theorise that a point could come, high up the scale, where time becomes an irrelevance. Such a point would create what I term the 'eternal now', where everything that has ever existed, continues to exist. The afterlife?

Icon – cultural image of change, of perfection, and what we’re supposed to aspire to be. So aptly named: I con.
http://anthonynorth.com/

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,454 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

What about aliens? Does the catholic church control Aliens in the afterlife as well?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    dr no

dr no

Psychic Spy

• 1,506 posts

• Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
    Carl Sagan

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Don't forget all the neanderthals,cro-magnons etc and dinosaurs and extinct species,its going to be carnage in the afterlife and very overcrowded!

Edited by dr no, 12 March 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#10    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,285 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Be wary of any explanations of consciousness, psychic powers, ghosts etc. that invoke quantum mechanics.

I'm no scientist but I know enough to know that quantum mechanics is a deeply mathematical, complicated and abstract subject and the actual experts in the field have difficulty explaining it to us mere laymen.  As a result we get a filtered watered down version explained via analogies that doesn't really do justice to it as it's basically impossible to put into words what it really means (and they admit they don't know what some of it really means).  But because it's very weird and non-intuitive with oddball ideas like Schrodinger's cat, quantum entanglement, waveform collapses, etc. sometimes people tend to use it as an easy explanation for weird things.

Consciousness is weird and unexplained, therefore [insert layman's quantum physics explanation].  Ghosts are strange and unexplained, therefore [insert layman's quantum physics]. Etc.

Edited by JesseCuster, 12 March 2014 - 06:03 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,625 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostDeepthunk, on 10 March 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

Based on any number of facts I’m aware of, I think it’s clear that quantum entanglement is the explanation for the extra sensory phenomena reported by any number of individuals and statistical evidence of such noted in any number of studies.

Your theory falls apart in the first line since there is zero proof ESP exists, as far as I know.  If empirical evidence of ESP does exist then please link as I'd love to see it.

Edited by Merc14, 12 March 2014 - 06:27 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#12    Phenix20

Phenix20

Psychic Spy

• 1,667 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

View PostMerc14, on 12 March 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

Your theory falls apart in the first line since there is zero proof ESP exists, as far as I know.  If empirical evidence of ESP does exist then please link as I'd love to see it.

Here are some of the best non-local mind evidence (Empirical And Theoritical) according to Dr Patrizio Tressoldi of the General Departement of Psychology, Università Di Padova, Italia: http://www.psy.unipd...etical-evidence

In my view, there is no irrefutable proof that ESP exists but there are indications that it may possibly exist.

Edited by sam_comm, 12 March 2014 - 06:58 PM.

#13    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,625 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 12 March 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

Here are some of the best non-local mind evidence (Empirical And Theoritical) according to Dr Patrizio Tressoldi of the General Departement of Psychology, Università Di Padova, Italia: http://www.psy.unipd...etical-evidence

In my view, there is no irrefutable proof that ESP exists but there are indications that it may possibly exist.

I agree there is no irrefutable proof but indications that it may possibly exist is debatable.  I have seen research that indicates it may exist followed by a paper reaching the exact opposite using the same tests so nothing solid here.  Regardless, we are pretty much in agreement but the OP states " the explanation for the extra sensory phenomena reported by any number of individuals and statistical evidence of such noted in any number of studies." and I can't find any reputable research that meets that criteria, or even comes close, so his entire theory is derailed at the first sentence.

Edited by Merc14, 12 March 2014 - 07:21 PM.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#14    Forever Cursed

Forever Cursed

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

• Nosce te ipsum

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

"Even though society has moved forward, such prejudices are so deeply rooted in the minds of  people who lived fifty years ago or more, that they will likely never change, therefore the afterlife must be and is rife with the intolerances of the past."

Going on the premise that when we die we leave our caporal bodies behind, how can we know what would really be on their minds ? Seeing as how we have to leave them behind as well.  :huh:

#15    AZDZ

AZDZ

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

• Hatching soon...

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 12 March 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

What about aliens? Does the catholic church control Aliens in the afterlife as well?

View Postdr no, on 12 March 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

Don't forget all the neanderthals,cro-magnons etc and dinosaurs and extinct species,its going to be carnage in the afterlife and very overcrowded!

All those entities were not created in the image of god and therefore are not subject to Laws created to govern Humans. It's almost as if this question is exactly the reason the "in Gods image" line was added to the scriptures in the first place, imo.

View PostMerc14, on 12 March 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

He knew someone would say that. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users