Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Congress woman,"Constitution is 400 yrs old"

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,820 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

http://freebeacon.co...-400-years-old/

March 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D., Texas) declared the U.S. Constitution to be 400 years old Wednesday on the House floor, which would mean it was signed in 1614.

“Maybe I should offer a good thanks to the distinguished members of the majority, the Republicans, my chairman and others, for giving us an opportunity to have a deliberative constitutional discussion that reinforces the sanctity of this nation and how well it is that we have lasted some 400 years, operating under a constitution that clearly defines what is constitutional and what is not,” she said.

That would be seven years after Jamestown, Virginia became America’s first permanent English settlement.

Lee is off by only 173 years. It was adopted on Sep. 17, 1787.

Edited by acidhead, 12 March 2014 - 10:16 PM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,125 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

wow.

#3    g00dfella

g00dfella

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

WOW...graduated from Yale and JD from Virginia Law, fricken shocker she made this dumbazz comment..

#4    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Poltergeist

• 2,221 posts

• Viking and Pagan at heart. Drink Mead and Hold Your Heathen Hammer High!

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, she's certainly qualified to be in Congress with that kind of knowledge.  As well as being allowed to interact with other humans.  Geez.

Be warned...I am protected by gods that you are not prepared to deal with.

#5    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,253 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:09 PM

That's a very poorly constructed - and researched - speech. I would suggest the Representative knows the Constitution is not 400 years old, and did not intend to give the impression it is - but the tossed-salad that are her words have betrayed her.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#6    RavenHawk

RavenHawk

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

I guess that extra 173 years allowed us to pick up those other seven states.

*Signature removed* Forum Rules

#7    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,602 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

well, i would give her benefit of the doubt, i also say "we have 33000 gun laws on books" it does not actually mean we have exactly 33000 gun laws, i just use that number to show that we have a lot, and so far i did not see anyone taking number 33000 literaly. may be she just wanted to make a point that it was long time ago. i would think she does know how old is teh consitution, or may be i'm just plain wrong and she's as dumb as a bell.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,820 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

She'll most probably say what politicians always say when they gaff,"I misspoke".

...and quietly blame it on an intern. (fired)

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 3,056 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

seeing how most of the politicians don't use the constitution this doesn't surprise me lol

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#10    John Denning

John Denning

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

This woman is just plain nuts.  A few year ago while touring NASA  as a congressional delagate.  She was showen a globe of Mars.  She asked all present if you could see where the astronouts planted the flag in 1969!  Just plain dumb

#11    Realm

Realm

• 2,175 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

She'd give George Bush a run for the money with a blunder like that.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#12    RoofGardener

RoofGardener

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

• Look upon my Plantpots ye mighty, and despair.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Well, we've given you your chance, and this is what you've produced as a Representative (and a Law Graduate).

Can we have our colony back now, please ? You clearly don't know how to drive it, and sooner or later you're going to have an accident and damage it :P

Warm regards,
Gardener, UK.

Energy is contagious
Enthusiasm spreads
Tides respond to lunar gravitation
Everything turns in synchronous relation

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 11,838 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

If I had to speak in public on a regular basis, unless I was reading my notes all the time I'm pretty sure I would misspeak quite often.  I'd get back to my office and the partisan hate mail would be circulating around the internet about how I didn't know even the simplest of facts.  The damage control every politician has to go through.   It's a simple thing for private people to beat up on public people privately.

I hoped she wasn't using "400 years old" as a reason to ignore the Constitution.  She wasn't; so I'll give her a pass on this one.   I think we view politicians as either geniuses or dunces but they're neither.

I have to believe this woman knows how old the Constitution is.  But just because this time was a misspeak doesn't mean a million other examples of alleged misspeak are.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,625 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:46 AM

It strikes me that her meaning was something to the effect that Americans have existed 400 years and since they have had the constitution had done all right.

The politics of the reaction seemed to try to make her seem dumb.  Maybe she is but I doubt it.

Still, the document is in need of a complete rewrite.

#15    preacherman76

preacherman76

Seeker

• 11,185 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Frank Merton, on 07 April 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

It strikes me that her meaning was something to the effect that Americans have existed 400 years and since they have had the constitution had done all right.

The politics of the reaction seemed to try to make her seem dumb.  Maybe she is but I doubt it.

Still, the document is in need of a complete rewrite.

Id change a few things myself, but a complete rewrite? Id like to see the second amendment better reflect how the founders felt about the right to bear arms. If for nothing more then to shut people up. Aside from that, the first 10 found in the bill of rights, far as im concerned, are set in stone.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users