Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 1 votes

Shostak: 'we will find ET within 20 years'

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

SETI's Seth Shostak believes that if alien life exists then we will find it within the next two decades.

The senior astronomer believes that advances in computing technology will make it possible to significantly speed up our ability to scan star systems for signs of intelligent extraterrestrial civilizations.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...within-20-years

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    ambelamba

ambelamba

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

It will happen, but not in the way we want. :D

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,146 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Already posted/discussed

http://www.unexplain...h shostak&st=0

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,153 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

The meteorologists can't even accurately predict snow in Seattle but can predict when we'll find ET?  ok.

#5    bendigger0

bendigger0

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

i guess Seth Shostak doesn't accept any of the nearly countless reports, photos, video, radar, testimonies of credible people, or military and police contacts as evidence of something ET.  Keep searching Seth.

#6    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

I hope so.

#7    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I've always thought the notion of searching for radio noise from a distant world to be a bit naive given the distances. We've had radio communication for only around 100 years now and we're already beginning to digitize our signals globally so they are harder to decipher. Within another 50 years earth will "appear" nearly radio silent against the background radiation. If you think about it, is it really such a great idea to stand and shout "we are here!" when we don't know who's listening?

Even assuming radio communications are still used 200 years from now, that still only covers a short time in our entire history that our civilation would be leaving that footprint. So presumably, for any given evolution of intelligent life, only a small portion of that will be marked by a "radio" age. If a planet is 400 light years away, we'd have to be pretty lucky indeed to find a civilization that developed in parallel close enough to our timeline for this to be plausible, I think.

Edited by Calibeliever, 14 March 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#8    Mojohand

Mojohand

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

• The tyranny of Mrs. Grundy is worse than any other tyranny we suffer under.
    -Herbert Spencer

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Calibeliever, you have a great point.  If you look at the human race and see how we have evolved to become the current dominant species on this planet, I believe you will notice that our technological advances are generally made for the purpose of war.  By screaming "We are here" to the universe it seems like we are announcing our naiveté to anyone looking to dominate "their" portion of the universe.   There's no doubt in my mind we would do it to any other planet or species we came in contact with.

#9    Scepticus

Scepticus

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

• Some people are too tired to give you a smile. Give them one of yours, as none needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Doubt they will.

Didn't SETI say the same thing 20 years ago?

:D

The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.

#10    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,962 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

View PostScepticus, on 14 March 2014 - 05:27 PM, said:

Doubt they will.

Didn't SETI say the same thing 20 years ago?

:D

Gotta keep the money coming in.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#11    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 12,650 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

View Postbendigger0, on 14 March 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

i guess Seth Shostak doesn't accept any of the nearly countless reports, photos, video, radar, testimonies of credible people, or military and police contacts as evidence of something ET.  Keep searching Seth.

Why should anyone? They are only anecdotal so far.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#12    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Ulfhednar

• 5,124 posts

• Europeans have to be allowed to do things before they can do them. Americans have to be prohibited, or they can do anything.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

View Postbendigger0, on 14 March 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

Neither do most logical people.

The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

#13    Thorvir Hrothgaard

Thorvir Hrothgaard

Ulfhednar

• 5,124 posts

• Europeans have to be allowed to do things before they can do them. Americans have to be prohibited, or they can do anything.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Seems like ole Seth is just plucking a number out of the air just to get back in the news a bit.

I do hope he is right, but what he just claimed can be claimed by anyone.

The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

#14    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 11,962 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Are they still using Morse code to find aliens?

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#15    MJNYC

MJNYC

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 338 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostCalibeliever, on 14 March 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

If you think about it, is it really such a great idea to stand and shout "we are here!" when we don't know who's listening?

I've often thought this.  I think we should remember the book, "How to Serve Man". :cry:

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users