Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cruellest criminals kept alive indefinitely?

seeder

This I thought was a weird concept, punishing criminals for longer than their natural lives. The way I see it, the cruellest crims should be shot in the head, no taxpayer money for 20 years with TV and money for smokes, just BANG, end of. But thats just me..

Could we condemn criminals to suffer for hundreds of years? Biotechnology could let us extend convicts' lives 'indefinitely'

Life extension tech could mean prisoners will serve longer sentences

Time distortion pill could make people feel like they were in prison longer

Another suggestion is uploading the criminal's mind to a digital realm

It would then possible to speed up the rate at which an uploaded mind run

Running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours

‘Some crimes are so bad they require a really long period of punishment, and a lot of people seem to get out of that punishment by dying,’ Dr Roache told Ross Andersen in Aeon magazine.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2vwuJCtkY

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

hopefully that would count as cruel and unusual punishment.

This is why to me death penalties seem more humane. But I guess that wouldn't give us a sick sense of justice by having them serve out their entire life. Or even longer....

• Like 1

hopefully that would count as cruel and unusual punishment.

This is why to me death penalties seem more humane. But I guess that wouldn't give us a sick sense of justice by having them serve out their entire life. Or even longer....

I am as much against this ludicrous notion as I am against the death penalty. Let them live the course of their lives but save the longevity technologies for law abiding citizens. What kind of warped justice is really served?

Lets examine a couple of possible outcomes:

- Time heals all wounds - therefore the families of the victims will likely feel more forgiven and embracing of the "rehabilitated prisoner" as time goes on.

- If the above is not true and the victims families are hopefully enjoying the same longevity, there is no end or closure for them. A terrible chapter never really closes for them to move on from.

I may not like state sponsored killing of humans for any reason but that does not mean I can accept the idea of the prisoner being given anything that can remotely be construed as an advantage in life - they have lost the right to have society spend any more on them than absolutely necessary to keep them breathing for as long as nature deems their body should breath and not a second more.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 3