Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cruellest criminals kept alive indefinitely?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,010 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

This I thought was a weird concept, punishing criminals for longer than their natural lives. The way I see it, the cruellest crims should be shot in the head, no taxpayer money for 20 years with TV and money for smokes, just BANG, end of.  But thats just me..

Could we condemn criminals to suffer for hundreds of years? Biotechnology could let us extend convicts' lives 'indefinitely'

Life extension tech could mean prisoners will serve longer sentences
Time distortion pill could make people feel like they were in prison longer
Another suggestion is uploading the criminal's mind to a digital realm
It would then possible to speed up the rate at which an uploaded mind run
Running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours

‘Some crimes are so bad they require a really long period of punishment, and a lot of people seem to get out of that punishment by dying,’ Dr Roache told Ross Andersen in Aeon magazine.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2vwuJCtkY

Edited by seeder, 14 March 2014 - 02:57 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,639 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

hopefully that would count as cruel and unusual punishment.

This is why to me death penalties seem more humane. But I guess that wouldn't give us a sick sense of justice by having them serve out their entire life. Or even longer....

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,846 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 14 March 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

hopefully that would count as cruel and unusual punishment.

This is why to me death penalties seem more humane. But I guess that wouldn't give us a sick sense of justice by having them serve out their entire life. Or even longer....
I am as much against this ludicrous notion as I am against the death penalty.  Let them live the course of their lives but save the longevity technologies for law abiding citizens.  What kind of warped justice is really served?

Lets examine a couple of possible outcomes:

- Time heals all wounds - therefore the families of the victims will likely feel more forgiven and embracing of the "rehabilitated prisoner" as time goes on.

- If the above is not true and the victims families are hopefully enjoying the same longevity, there is no end or closure for them.  A terrible chapter never really closes for them to move on from.

I may not like state sponsored killing of humans for any reason but that does not mean I can accept the idea of the prisoner being given anything that can remotely be construed as an advantage in life - they have lost the right to have society spend any more on them than absolutely necessary to keep them breathing for as long as nature deems their body should breath and not a second more.

Edited by libstaK, 14 March 2014 - 03:17 PM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users