Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

NY mayor won't march in St. Patrick's parade

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Mayor Bill de Blasio will not be marching in the St. Patrick's Day parade, deciding to skip one of his city's signature celebrations because the event organizers refuse to let participants carry pro-gay signs.
De Blasio will become the first mayor in decades to sit out the traditional march along Fifth Avenue.
"I will be participating in a number of other events to honor the Irish heritage of this city," said de Blasio on Tuesday during an unrelated press conference at City Hall. "But I simply disagree with the organizers of that parade."
The parade, a tradition that predates the city itself, draws more than 1 million people each March 17 to line one of Manhattan's most famous thoroughfares to watch about 200,000 participants. It has long been a mandatory stop on the city's political trail, and will include marching bands, traditional Irish dancers and thousands of uniformed city workers.

cont...

http://www.nbcphilad...html?akmobile=o

Why do people feel they have a right to insert their own agenda into everything and anything? They didn't say gays couldn't participate...they just can't carry signs.

#2    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,253 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Event organizers think they can stop people from carrying signs? LOL

People have a right to insert their own agendas because they have the freedom of expression.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#3    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 March 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

Event organizers think they can stop people from carrying signs? LOL

People have a right to insert their own agendas because they have the freedom of expression.

You didn't read the article did you? It was talking about people who are participating/marching in the parade...not bystanders.

#4    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,253 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostMichelle, on 15 March 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

You didn't read the article did you? It was talking about people who are participating/marching in the parade...not bystanders.
People.  That's who I'm talking about.

If you want to hold some Irish sign in a Gay Pride parade, what gives you the crazy idea you don't have that right?

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#5    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Gay people don't usually follow a religion that makes them violently dislike the Irish though.

....as darkly hilarious as that would be.

Allowed or not, I can't imagine feeling safe as a gay man surrounded by a massive crowd of drunken irishmen

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#6    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,253 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostScheming B, on 15 March 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Gay people don't usually follow a religion that makes them violently dislike the Irish though.

....as darkly hilarious as that would be.

Allowed or not, I can't imagine feeling safe as a gay man surrounded by a massive crowd of drunken irishmen
Exercising our rights doesn't generally confer a greater sense of safety.   If it's security we want, we won't have many rights left after we get it.

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 March 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

People.  That's who I'm talking about.

If you want to hold some Irish sign in a Gay Pride parade, what gives you the crazy idea you don't have that right?

The gay pride parade is funded, owned and endorsed by an organization. If they didn't want PETA, The Black Panthers or the Catholic Church promoting themselves it is their right.

#8    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,611 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is every other person marching in the event banned from making political statements?  If so there's nothing wrong with the move.

#9    Cora Calliope

Cora Calliope

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 58 posts

• "When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love." -Marcus Aurelius

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think that people of Irish descent should be able to carry "pro-gay" signs in the parade to show their support for the queer community, especially considering that the Irish American community (and particularly the Catholic members of the community) is known for homophobia and transphobia. That being said, I think they should stick to signs that pertain to the theme of the parade (celebrating their Irish heritage), along with messages of queer solidarity. For example, a sign could read, "Proud to be Irish AND queer".

#10    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,028 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostWickian, on 15 March 2014 - 08:49 PM, said:

Is every other person marching in the event banned from making political statements?  If so there's nothing wrong with the move.

That's right! They aren't singling out gays.

#11    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 March 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

Exercising our rights doesn't generally confer a greater sense of safety.   If it's security we want, we won't have many rights left after we get it.

By that same logic, isn't within the organizer's rights to not allow pro-gay signs if that's in their beliefs?

#12    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,170 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostCora Calliope, on 15 March 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

I think that people of Irish descent should be able to carry "pro-gay" signs in the parade to show their support for the queer community, especially considering that the Irish American community (and particularly the Catholic members of the community) is known for homophobia and transphobia. That being said, I think they should stick to signs that pertain to the theme of the parade (celebrating their Irish heritage), along with messages of queer solidarity. For example, a sign could read, "Proud to be Irish AND queer".
I don't think you would get that statement "Proud to be Irish and queer", because you may be, but the Irish community, are a "queer" lot and would probably bar you from all Irish clubs,pubs etcetera, so they would,to be sure.Slainte.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,253 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostMichelle, on 15 March 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

The gay pride parade is funded, owned and endorsed by an organization. If they didn't want PETA, The Black Panthers or the Catholic Church promoting themselves it is their right.
Okay so if I pull out the wrong sign during a march, you support doing what to me exactly?

View PostScheming B, on 15 March 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

By that same logic, isn't within the organizer's rights to not allow pro-gay signs if that's in their beliefs?
I'm not the one pushing the "logic" that anyone has any rights that infringe on the rights of anyone else.   They have the right to want whatever they want.   What you think they have the "right" to do if they don't get what they want, I have no idea.

#14    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,370 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

As long leprechauns in assless chaps are not in the parade I could care less.

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#15    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

View PostYamato, on 15 March 2014 - 09:09 PM, said:

I'm not the one pushing the "logic" that anyone has any rights that infringe on the rights of anyone else.   They have the right to want whatever they want.   What you think they have the "right" to do if they don't get what they want, I have no idea.

I'm being realistic.  if a group of same minded aggressive people don't get what they want rights dont make all much difference.

are you implying that im claiming gay bashing is a right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users