Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ladybirds can fly 37mph, at 3,600ft

ladybird garden insect fly altitudes aerial capabilities

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,319 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

It travels at the speed of a racehorse and can fly at altitudes close to the height of Ben Nevis.

But it is not a bird, or a plane. It is in fact, the humble ladybird.

New research has, for the first time, revealed the remarkable aerial capabilities of the common or garden insect.

http://www.telegraph...-at-3600ft.html

Posted Image

#2    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,319 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

"Ladybird" - Also known as "ladybug", "lady beetle", "lady cows", and "ladybird beetles".

http://en.wikipedia....i/Coccinellidae

Posted Image

#3    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,275 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Very surprising that, who would have thought? Lady Beetles seems so placid and a "smell the roses" sort of bug.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:04 PM

I would have thought anything can travel at 37mph if left to its own devices at 3,600ft.

37mph straight down!

Amazing what these guys are capable of though, especially considering what their previous limits where thought to be.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#5    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,381 posts

• ~*★*~Engine of destruction~*★*~

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

When I was moving out of a rental house in October and moving into the house we bought, we had the weirdest experience with ladybugs.  They made great swarms all over us and the front of the house.  They were attracted to it because it was white and warm or something.  Weirdest thing ever.  They were in my hair in my clothes, just every where.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users